Urijah Faber wants to avenge loss to Tyson Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Urijah Faber wants to avenge loss to Tyson Griffin
POLL: Who takes the second fight?
Urijah Faber 50% (16)
Tyson Griffin 50% (16)
Twenty20Dollars
5/28/08 5:46:46PM
link

World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight champion Urijah Faber knows he has bigger things to worry about -- such as Sunday's WEC 34 main event fight with Jens Pulver -- but the 29-year-old fighter says he eventually wants to avenge his only career loss.

Faber won his first eight professional fights before suffering a third-round TKO loss to current UFC lightweight Tyson Griffin at a September 2005 Gladiator Challenge event.

During a special podcast session coordinated by VERSUS, Faber said that he wants a second chance at beating Griffin, and he's willing to move up a weight class to get it.

"I'd definitely like to avenge the loss, of course," said Faber, who secured the WEC's 145-pound title in March 2006. "It's my only blemish. At this time, it's something that could happen in the future. We're both pretty young in the sport."

Faber (18-1) and Griffin (11-1) compete in different organizations, but they're both under the Zuffa LLC umbrella. However, UFC president Dana White has long maintained that the two organizations would operate independently. A few UFC fighters have been sent to the WEC, but there's been no talk of a co-promoted show or WEC vs. UFC "superfights" anytime in the future.

For what it's worth, Faber said he's willing to jump up a weight class if means getting Griffin as an opponent. The UFC doesn't currently have a 145-pound weight class, and Griffin fights as a 155-pounder in the UFC.

"I wouldn't have a problem going up to 155," he said. "We were actually supposed to do it one time before [Griffin] went into the UFC."

Griffin, meanwhile, suffered his only career loss to Frankie Edgar in February 2007. He's won three straight fights since then and next meets Marcus Aurelio in July at UFC 86.
loonytnt
5/28/08 5:48:26PM
imo faber would beat him now
Twenty20Dollars
5/28/08 5:49:50PM
i was thinking the same thing.
grappler0000
5/28/08 6:04:58PM
Me 3.
juanez13
5/28/08 6:20:39PM
i dont think so, 155 is too much for him, he is good as his weight class because he is the strongest and better wrestler, at 155 that is no longer, guys like BJ penn can move up weight classes because they base their fights on using their skills to beat the other guys, same deal is with sherk at 170, he bases his fights on being able to out muscle his opponents and oppose his will with strenght, but at 170 all the bigger wrestlershe couldnt (GSP, Hughes) , at 155 there are many wrestlers and bigger and better, and i dont see him beating many of them, i think guys like maynard, sherk, edgar, guida, stevenson could out wrestle/out muscle him and beat him, dont see why tyson wouldnt do the same again.
Twenty20Dollars
5/28/08 7:00:23PM
well urijah wasnt talking about all the other guys in the divison, just griffin.
NatedawgThaM
5/28/08 7:32:36PM
ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME???

it will take a complete beatdown or a finish to beat Tyson Griffin. Guida, Tarvares, and Tibau who all won their fights against Griffin IMO all learned that. This fight will probably go the distance and I doubt the UFC judges will let some FW take a decision on him if they wouldn't give one to Guida.

Tyson by controversial Unanimous Decision.

bigbubbano23
5/28/08 9:31:23PM
i think tyson is too much for him. And will have the right mindset in that fight.
Jackelope
5/28/08 9:54:11PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

it will take a complete beatdown or a finish to beat Tyson Griffin. Guida, Tarvares, and Tibau who all won their fights against Griffin IMO all learned that. This fight will probably go the distance and I doubt the UFC judges will let some FW take a decision on him if they wouldn't give one to Guida.

IMO Guida beat Griffin, and obviously Frankie Edgar did, too. You can grind Tyson Griffin out, so I don't see how

it will take a complete beatdown or a finish to beat Tyson Griffin.

applies He's already been beat in a decision which is not a complete beatdown or a finish
bullettdodger
5/28/08 10:05:02PM

Posted by juanez13

i dont think so, 155 is too much for him, he is good as his weight class because he is the strongest and better wrestler, at 155 that is no longer, guys like BJ penn can move up weight classes because they base their fights on using their skills to beat the other guys, same deal is with sherk at 170, he bases his fights on being able to out muscle his opponents and oppose his will with strenght, but at 170 all the bigger wrestlershe couldnt (GSP, Hughes) , at 155 there are many wrestlers and bigger and better, and i dont see him beating many of them, i think guys like maynard, sherk, edgar, guida, stevenson could out wrestle/out muscle him and beat him, dont see why tyson wouldnt do the same again.

NatedawgThaM
5/28/08 11:20:08PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IMO Guida beat Griffin, and obviously Frankie Edgar did, too. You can grind Tyson Griffin out, so I don't see how

applies He's already been beat in a decision which is not a complete beatdown or a finish

The Edgar fight pretty much was a beatdown. It's on right now on UFC Unleashed and even though it was a fast paced exciting bout, Edgar beat him to every punch and controled him throughout. It will take that kind of effort to beat Griffin. That's where I think it applies. The Tarves, Guida, and Tibau fights were all close which is what you cannot have against Griffin even though all three IMO clearly beat him. If it's anywhere near close, I think Griffin will take it even though the decision probably would be leaning towards Uriah like it was in those other fights mentioned above.

89vision
5/28/08 11:41:08PM
at 155...tyson by pawnage
Jackelope
5/29/08 8:17:01AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by NatedawgThaM

The Edgar fight pretty much was a beatdown. It's on right now on UFC Unleashed and even though it was a fast paced exciting bout, Edgar beat him to every punch and controled him throughout. It will take that kind of effort to beat Griffin. That's where I think it applies. The Tarves, Guida, and Tibau fights were all close which is what you cannot have against Griffin even though all three IMO clearly beat him. If it's anywhere near close, I think Griffin will take it even though the decision probably would be leaning towards Uriah like it was in those other fights mentioned above.

So your thinking is that Tyson Griffin gets a nod from the judges for some unknown reason? Like they're trying to build him up or something? Don't get me wrong.. there's been some funky decisions, but I'm just curious if that's what you're saying?
NatedawgThaM
5/29/08 10:52:25AM
That's obviously what I'm saying. He get BS nods from the judges. He got out worked and out pointed in all three of those fights but won all of them.

I'm just saying Uriah won't be able to win clear enough so I think they will give another nod to Tyson since like Huerta they are hyping him up big time.
Jackelope
5/29/08 7:08:15PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

That's obviously what I'm saying. He get BS nods from the judges. He got out worked and out pointed in all three of those fights but won all of them.

I'm just saying Uriah won't be able to win clear enough so I think they will give another nod to Tyson since like Huerta they are hyping him up big time.

LOL, you aint gotta be a dick about it, dude. "That's OBVIOUSLY what I'm saying." I'm just trying to have a discussion here.

Anyway, I agree on some levels but not on others. I just wanted to hear it actually come out of your mouth (/fingers) that you think there is some bullshit going on with Tyson Griffin. Whatever, I don't talk to fuckos that speak to me in that manner. Peace
EON
5/29/08 8:08:00PM
he wants to avenge to tyson while preparing for a fight? why is he not worried about jens? now i hope he gets brutalized if he thinks hes that good that he can look past an opponent the caliber of jens
ncordless
5/29/08 9:16:41PM
I think it would be a good rematch, with Tyson's strength and size giving him the slight edge.

What I would really like to see is Frankie Edgar drop to 145 and challange Urijah... seeing Frankie against Maynard has me convinced that Edgar is to small at 155.
NatedawgThaM
5/29/08 9:33:50PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by NatedawgThaM

LOL, you aint gotta be a dick about it, dude. "That's OBVIOUSLY what I'm saying." I'm just trying to have a discussion here.

Anyway, I agree on some levels but not on others. I just wanted to hear it actually come out of your mouth (/fingers) that you think there is some bullshit going on with Tyson Griffin. Whatever, I don't talk to fuckos that speak to me in that manner. Peace

I wasn't trying to come off that way and was also having a good discussions and I apologize if I offended you, but whatever, fair enough.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/29/08 9:38:48PM
tough one to call. I think tyson would over power urijah to a uni decision.