Urijah Faber p4p rankings...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Urijah Faber p4p rankings...
Jackelope
5/14/08 3:23:23AM
Tonight I was watching a replay of Urijah Faber vs. Jeff Curran and it got me thinking about Urijah's p4p ranking. His record speaks for itself at this point (20-1) with his only loss coming by way of TKO to Tyson Griffin. I didn't see the whole fight (just highlights) but it was almost 3 years ago and since then Urijah has gone on a 12 fight winning streak. My thinking is that if he is able to solidify a convincing win over Jens Pulver he will have to be seriously regarded as a p4p contender.

I think at this point the only reason he's under the radar as far as a top 5 p4p guy goes is because

A) He fights at 145. A weight that doesn't carry too much respect since it's not even in the UFC.

B) Although in my opinion he has faced some tough, tough cats at 145 he hasn't put a hurting on any "big names" (mostly no "big names" because of reason A)

Also let it be noted that Tyson Griffin only has one career loss (11-1) and that one loss really could have gone either way. Especially since that fight (Edgar vs. Griffin) was on many people's FOTY list for 2007
Pookie
5/14/08 3:54:42AM
other than that kneebar at the end i thought the Edgar vs. Griffin fight was completely onesided.
Jackelope
5/14/08 2:06:23PM

Posted by Pookie

other than that kneebar at the end i thought the Edgar vs. Griffin fight was completely onesided.

I agree, but I do feel that the kneebar attempt at the end of round 3 was worth the entire round. That thing was DEEEEEEP. Although credit also goes to Edgar for not tapping to that. I was screaming in pain at my house!!
Copenhagen
5/14/08 6:29:20PM
Was the Tyson fight at Lw or FW?
Jackelope
5/14/08 7:49:17PM

Posted by Copenhagen

that's something I want to figure out, too. If it was at LW instead of FW then it'd have significant less impact on his rankings
papercut
5/15/08 1:43:18PM

Posted by Copenhagen

that fight was at light weight. griffin couldn't make the cut to 145.
Pitbull09
5/15/08 4:51:04PM
I was going to start a topic about this but asking where people would put him if he beat Jens Pulver.

The guy is crazy and a loss to Tyson Griffin (who has one loss to Edgar who has one loss) is nothing to be ashamed of. Lol I like the end of his fight when asked about Curran getting his back.
He said "He can have my back, I dont mind, no one's choking me out."
I think he has a good mind for the sport. To many times I see kick boxers pass up chances to get full mount just because they think they are suppose to stand and fight, or wrestlers landing a nice strike and immediately taking down the guy instead going for a finish KO.
Faber goes with whats given to give and defines himself as not a kickboxer, wrestler or BJJ special but an MMA fighter. I hope more fighters like him arrive in the future.
holt8081
5/16/08 4:20:20PM
Ya Fabers the man hes definatly in the top 8
chubbud22
5/17/08 1:46:20AM
IMO If faber bumped up one weight class he would get completely dominated by the 155 pounders. I'm sure he could take some of them, but I think he would lose to anyone in the top 5 if not the top 10. He has had a lot of success, because he is so much stronger than the 145 pounders. He has been put in some bad spots in some of the fights I have seen him in and he just powered out of them; not by technique, but by strength. I know he is a good fighter, but pound for pound top 10 come on.
Pitbull09
5/17/08 2:10:06PM

Posted by chubbud22

IMO If faber bumped up one weight class he would get completely dominated by the 155 pounders. I'm sure he could take some of them, but I think he would lose to anyone in the top 5 if not the top 10. He has had a lot of success, because he is so much stronger than the 145 pounders. He has been put in some bad spots in some of the fights I have seen him in and he just powered out of them; not by technique, but by strength. I know he is a good fighter, but pound for pound top 10 come on.

This is p4p rankings though and you have to consider that saying putting a fighter in a weight class where he will be the smaller guy isnt what p4p is about. Its about if weight wasnt a factor, who is the best fighter. Now I know a Anderson Silva, GSP, BJ Penn, Fedor could prob beat Faber without weight as an issue but if you go farther down that blurry top ten list, Faber has to be somewhere (especially if he beats Pulver)
StriderXero
5/18/08 6:10:11AM
I dont consider him to be in the top p4p. The guy doesn't impress me for some reason. I seen better talent that should be up there. Shogun, Machida, Aoki, JZ, Gomi, Nick Diaz. All these guys are ranked under Faber, and I consider them more talented. Even though most of these guys have loses that set them back, I consider them much better fighters. Kid Yamamoto fights at 145 even 135, and I think he would beat Faber, with no doubts. I seen Faber fight, he doesn't impress me as much as the guys I mentioned.
lebrontheking23
6/4/08 11:58:12PM
Urijah should definatly get a lot of respect i mean he just beat the UFC verteran and first lightweight champion of UFC Jens Pulver and all of the other competion in his entire wieght division and not only did he get through all of them he plowed through all of them he is just a beast and can't get stopped.