Urijah Faber open to changing weight classes

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Urijah Faber open to changing weight classes
Porch28
5/16/08 10:10:57PM
If Urijah Faber gets past Jens Pulver on June 1st and continues to run through the competition in the 145-pound division, the former UC Davis wrestler will be open to changing weight classes.

LINK
RMFG_187
5/16/08 10:35:24PM
will he be goin bantam or LW?

in LW he has 0 chance

in BW if he can make the cut, will be huge. although not to many top names in BW
Aaronno9
5/16/08 10:40:22PM
Im sure itl be to LW. I would of thought the point of him moving would be to fight better competition and get more exposure, and if he moves up he'll most likley get straight into the ufc. I dont think he'll ever be champ at lw, but i still think he'll do well. I think he'll get to the same level as frankie edgar but some guys will just be to big for him.
bls1919
5/16/08 10:43:08PM
Faber is HUGE at 140. If hes was to do it right and add 3 to 5 lbs of muscle mass he would be more than competitive at 155 in the UFC. he is a great fighter and should beat Pulver. I hope to see him in the UFC soon
holt8081
5/16/08 11:01:33PM
I think he will do great in LW , unless he come to the UFC
juanez13
5/16/08 11:03:51PM
i dont think he would do good at all. reason is the UFC's lightweights consists of +90% wrestlers, all whom are much bigger than him, and most are even better wrestelers than him(for sure he would be in the UFC if he were to move up a weight class, maybe stay in WEC but assuming its the UFC)

They need to set up a fight between Kid and Him. Faber is good, but i doubt he'd last 3 with Yamamoto.
silverbullet
5/16/08 11:05:33PM
Faber is not going to be make top 10 in LW.

And watch Pulver beat him.
bullettdodger
5/16/08 11:06:49PM
Tyson has already smacked Faber down, i can't see him doing terribly well at LW as one of his main strengths, is his strength and size at 145, when you eliminate that, he appears quite average IMO... WAR PULVER
BTW i think this talk of change in weight class could be faber's plan for when he gets knocked out in june
ThaAxeMurderer7
5/16/08 11:10:41PM

Posted by juanez13

i dont think he would do good at all. reason is the UFC's lightweights consists of +90% wrestlers, all whom are much bigger than him, and most are even better wrestelers than him(for sure he would be in the UFC if he were to move up a weight class, maybe stay in WEC but assuming its the UFC)

They need to set up a fight between Kid and Him. Faber is good, but i doubt he'd last 3 with Yamamoto.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think Kid would run straight through him.
The_Grim_Reaper
5/16/08 11:24:07PM
Faber can't move up to lw just imagine this fight as one example if Faber moved up could you realy see him beating some one like Gray Maynard at 155, i can't,
Pookie
5/17/08 1:00:22AM
Yeah, terrible move. If he moves up to 155 you can gurantee we'll stay at WEC, because the ufc will just be too much for him.
Jipper
5/17/08 1:11:07AM
The kid's getting a little cocky there in the little leagues if he's thinking of moving to LW. He might be able to handle WEC LW's but he's a top ranked FW and would get crushed by top ranked LW's.
chubbud22
5/17/08 2:01:50AM
Faber would get completely dominated at 155. He has got strength going for him at 145, he will not have that at 155. I have seen faber get out of a few submissions just because of his strength, not technique. IMHO he would get slaughtered by anyone in the top 5 at 155, if not the top 10.
Gipper
5/17/08 2:12:20AM
this guy would give any top lw a fight. not to sure if he could ever be a top 10 in the world. i don't think he'd be to out of place in the ufc lw division.
Pookie
5/17/08 2:22:50AM

Posted by Gipper

this guy would give any top lw a fight. not to sure if he could ever be a top 10 in the world. i don't think he'd be to out of place in the ufc lw division.

any top ten?

When tyson griffin nullified all of his natural advantages when they fought?

YOu really think he would give bj penn a fight?
chubbud22
5/17/08 2:46:32AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Gipper

any top ten?

When tyson griffin nullified all of his natural advantages when they fought?

YOu really think he would give bj penn a fight?

Aether
5/17/08 6:42:15AM
I think changing weight classes in either direction would be a bad move for him. He's top dog where he is at the moment. I would really like to see him make the cut to 135 just to see kid demolish him though. Either way he goes he's moving down the totem pole, and moving down much much farther by moving to LW.
whardin19
5/17/08 11:30:26AM
Man, not a bunch of love for Faber moving up to LW and coming to the UFC. I actually think he'd be fine if that's what he does. The guy can definetally gain some more muscle on his body. He is short but look what Manny does being short and stocky. He runs through guys in the LW divsion. I say if he beats Pulver he has no more to prove in the WEC and should try the UFC's LW division out. Maybe even put him in a few WEC LW matches first against bigger guys just to see what he does. If he does good then move him over.
Twenty20Dollars
5/17/08 11:37:54AM
well he cant go down in a weight class he isa too big for that i think.
jay98107
5/17/08 12:21:13PM

Posted by silverbullet

Faber is not going to be make top 10 in LW.

And watch Pulver beat him.

I agree with this post completely. He is too small for LW, and I'm picking Pulver over him anyways.