URGENT COMPUTER HELP!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » URGENT COMPUTER HELP!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 3:21:24AM
alright, i seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties with my computer. i run Windows XP. so i was watching some MMA videos when all of a sudden this audio of a foreign language kept playing. there was no program listed on the bottom bar and i panicked so i restarted my pc. when i did i saw it say it was shutting something down but i had done it manually so it didn't finish. when i turned my computer back on, i can't run certain files. for example, when i click on my firefox it doesn't open. no error message, nothing. however i can open other icons. i can't open AIM either, however i can open My Music folder, escept and song i click doesn't open.

Now this is where it gets strange. i can open firefox, AIM and the programs i can't open with a click (also tried right click: Open to no avail) with the task manager. i hit new task and browse and it opens fine. this is becoming an inconvenience, i am doing a virus scan but so far nothing has come up. if any of u can help me i would greatly appreciate it. i still can't open my music or videos through windows media player because the music and videos are not on my task manager.
loller90278
4/30/08 3:27:56AM
try running it in safe mode first
Kpro
4/30/08 3:33:18AM
I'm not a computer expert by any means, but this has happened to me and it was a virus infecting my rundll32.exe file. Do a little searching in regards to that file and you may get your answer. I'm sure someone with a better plan will reply soon, but it's a start.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/registrybooster/
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 3:40:06AM
i just want to put it out there that i am a noob with computers.

i found out a bit more about my situation. i can run everything out of task manager. open every single file as if it was fine. however, any other method that i use does not work.

btw, i don't know how to run anything in safe mode so if you could elaborate on that for a noob i would appreciate it.

Kpro, i am doing your suggestion as we speak so ill tell u if it works.
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 3:45:09AM
alright Kpro the link you provided cleaned up some files but didn't fix my problem as it wants me to pay. thanks for the help hough as ill continue to research it.
Kpro
4/30/08 4:12:53AM
pressing the F8 key while powering on lets you select safe mode.
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 4:33:58AM
alright even in safe mode i couldn't open any programs except through task manager. also, the last few times i restarted my pc i got a pop up that said refresh error. it says select Ok to terminate the program and i select Ok and then thats the last i hear from it. this is just weird to me as all my programs and files are still on my pc, it is just that i can't access them save through my task manager. any other tips?
Kpro
4/30/08 4:54:30AM
Only other thing I'd know, is to go START--->RUN---> msconfig

And from there click the "Startup" tab, and if you don't recognize names of some of them google search them to see if they are possible viruses. Also on the "Services" tab you can see what programs are run by what manufacturer. Scope out the ones that are "Unknown".

Godspeed!
jiujitsufreak74
4/30/08 5:12:22AM

Posted by Kpro

Only other thing I'd know, is to go START--->RUN---> msconfig

And from there click the "Startup" tab, and if you don't recognize names of some of them google search them to see if they are possible viruses. Also on the "Services" tab you can see what programs are run by what manufacturer. Scope out the ones that are "Unknown".

Godspeed!

you know what, funny thing you say that. i have never tried that before in my life, but after reading your post i did and an error came up. maybe my problem lies in there. it is one of those things that says send error report or don't send and you always hit don't send. hopefully i can get this mess all fixed.