What will be Upset of the night at UFC 82

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What will be Upset of the night at UFC 82
Next Page »
POLL: Upset of the night:
Heath Herring over Chieck Kongo 29% (24)
Chris Wilson over Jon Fitch 10% (8)
Jake O'brien over Andrei Arlovski 24% (20)
Luigi Fioravanti over Luke Cummo 12% (10)
Dustin Hazelett over Josh Koscheck 19% (16)
Bielkeheden over Diego Sanchez 6% (5)
Pookie
2/25/08 7:10:14PM
i used the 6 lowest vote getters...
Copenhagen
2/25/08 7:15:03PM
I believe Jake's wrestling will prevail over AA's striking. I think Jake can bring AA to the ground and hold him there for 3 rounds.
Kpro
2/25/08 7:15:41PM
I voted Fioravanti since he's the 1 of the 6 that I actually consider the favorite in my own eyes. Herring would be my next choice.
puppetmaster837
2/25/08 7:16:19PM
I think Heath Herring will beat Cheick. He has 16 submission wins and he is going against a guy who has absolutely no ground game or take down defense. I dont consider it that much of an upset though, even though Kongo is ranked higher its just a bad style match up for him.
Pookie
2/25/08 7:16:45PM
I see it being Herring, but both Fioravanti and O'brien have a shot of taking the victory as well.
Copenhagen
2/25/08 7:20:15PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

I think Heath Herring will beat Cheick. He has 16 submission wins and he is going against a guy who has absolutely no ground game or take down defense. I dont consider it that much of an upset though, even though Kongo is ranked higher its just a bad style match up for him.

I'm not saying your wrong but,

If Kongo has such a horrible ground game how come he has never been submitted?
hotrodttt
2/25/08 7:21:55PM

Posted by Copenhagen

I believe Jake's wrestling will prevail over AA's striking. I think Jake can bring AA to the ground and hold him there for 3 rounds.

I Agree, Jake will take Andrei down and hold him there for 3 Rounds and I don't see Andrei taking Jake out with Strikes.
wolfman
2/25/08 7:23:56PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Good possibly happen, and I won't be surprised if it does happen. However, I am still picking AA by 1st/2nd rd. TKO.

As far as upsets go, I think Herring over Kongo is a definite possibility as well as Luigi over Cummo.

The biggest upset imo would be Wilson over Fitch. I know that Wilson is a good fighter, but I don't see him beating Fitch right now. That is why I would choose that to be the upset of the night, because if it does happen it knocks Fitch down the ladder and blows his shot at a title shot. It would be a devastating loss for Fitch.
xchickox
2/25/08 7:24:06PM
hardest pick i found was heath herring and i think that one will be really close, also hazelett has a chance but kos's wrestling is so good
puppetmaster837
2/25/08 7:26:06PM

Posted by Copenhagen

He has never gone against anyone that has a strong submission game. In his fight against Marrero he was being taken down and couldnt stop it, and once they got to the ground he has no sort of retaliation. But since Marrero is a wrestler he just controlled him
Pookie
2/25/08 7:29:31PM
and then against asseurio(sp?) silva, silva decided that he was just going to lay on him as well... Unfortunately he decided to just pass guard at will and do nothing afterwards.
wolfman
2/25/08 7:36:02PM
Looks like I misunderstood your poll Pookie. I guess if I had to choose the most likely upset of the night I would choose either Herring or Luigi.
cmill21
2/25/08 7:39:34PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Because Cro Cop didn't feel like grabbing an arm and ripping it off. That's acctually a good question, but seriously he doesn't have a good ground game, and if you don't believe me watch him get schooled on the ground by Gilbert Yvel...
iwannabesedated
2/25/08 7:47:35PM
Hazelett Over Kos.

I got Kos picked to win.But Hazelett may be the upset.

I got Herring beating Kongo as well but i really dont see that as an upset.To me thats just another fight that could go either way.

I really dont see Jake O'Brian beating Arlovski....

AA by 1st round KO.

AA is not Heath Herring so i dont see him getting LNP'D for 3 rounds.
tberg420
2/25/08 7:53:50PM
I don't think Herring's ground game is that great either. Watch Jake O'Brien take him down at will. Kongo is bigger and stronger than O'Brien and will take Herring down at will. Kongo by UD
telnights
2/25/08 7:55:35PM

Kongo has no ground game to speak of. Herrings ground game isn't at Nogs level but he has one and its fairly good one.
postman
2/25/08 8:13:27PM

Posted by tberg420

I don't think Herring's ground game is that great either. Watch Jake O'Brien take him down at will. Kongo is bigger and stronger than O'Brien and will take Herring down at will. Kongo by UD

Why in gods name would a striker like Kongo take Herring down? Are you aware Herring has 16 sub wins?
hotrodttt
2/25/08 8:14:00PM

Good comparison but I don't think the fight won't go to the ground, Herring said himself that he wants to stand and band and even if he wanted to take Cheick down he most likely wouldn't because his knees are shot. He has been complaining about the same knee injury since his loss to Big Nog at Pride 17. And if he stands and trades with Cheick then he is in a world of troble. If you have seen his fight with Bradd Imes you could see that he was getting hit with hard knees and Brad doesn't have the same physical abilities as Cheick. So I'm taking Cheick by 2nd Round T(KO).
NatedawgThaM
2/25/08 8:21:02PM
I think Anderson stopping Hendo will be the biggest upset because nobodies giving Anderson a chance to stop him and I think he will eventually get Hendo in a bad spot and the ref will stop it, which is why I picked it. Everybody can be KO'd. Soko over Lil Nog proved that because Lil Nogs chin is just as legendary as his older brothers.

IMO the biggest chance for an upset is Diego losing. I mean his opponent trains with the black house so I can't count him out and think it will be a war. But Diego has a sick pace with sick cardio and all that guys losses are decisions so I think Diego does got it. Herring over Kongo is not a real big upset since everybody who knows anything about MMA knows Kongo's TD defense and his ground game is horrible.

Gonna be a great night though, that's for sure, Hendo-Silva is gonna be a sick WAR!
Kpro
2/25/08 8:24:04PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think Anderson stopping Hendo will be the biggest upset because nobodies giving Anderson a chance to stop him and I think he will eventually get Hendo in a bad spot and the ref will stop it, which is why I picked it. Everybody can be KO'd. Soko over Lil Nog proved that because Lil Nogs chin is just as legendary as his older brothers.

IMO the biggest chance for an upset is Diego losing. I mean his opponent trains with the black house so I can't count him out and think it will be a war. But Diego has a sick pace with sick cardio and all that guys losses are decisions so I think Diego does got it. Herring over Kongo is not a real big upset since everybody who knows anything about MMA knows Kongo's TD defense and his ground game is horrible.

Gonna be a great night though, that's for sure, Hendo-Silva is gonna be a sick WAR!

I've been watching Bielkheden highlights, and he's got a sick overhand right. I wouldn't be surprised to see Diego caught by it at some point in the fight.
Aaronno9
2/25/08 8:25:48PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think if herring decides to take kongo down, then itl actually be a pretty easy fight for him. Its hes planning on standing with kongo though, hes probably going to get messed up. Hearing that heath is planning on keeping the fight standing is making me want to change my pick.
cmill21
2/25/08 8:40:23PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I think if herring decides to take kongo down, then itl actually be a pretty easy fight for him. Its hes planning on standing with kongo though, hes probably going to get messed up. Hearing that heath is planning on keeping the fight standing is making me want to change my pick.

I would still probably pick hearing in a stand up war, his chin is great, he took one hell of a beating from Fedor, and Cro Cop fed him his lunch, and since those are his only TKO losses in 41 fights you can guess he's got an alright chin lol. Also Nog's boxing is IMHO better then Kongo's and Herring hung with him and didn't get put away. However, how many times have we seen guys say there going to stand and trade and then go right for the takedown? If he gets Kongo to think theres even a chance that it might not go to the ground he can surprise him, he'll probably stand for the first 3-4 minuets maybe even one round and then lull Kongo to sleep and go for the takedown, and look for the subs, I'm guessing he'll get him in a rear naked after Kongo turns from the GnP.
Aaronno9
2/25/08 8:45:26PM
Yeh i dont think kongos going to knock herring out, i just think he'll pick his shots better and get a decision if it stays standing. Your right about people saying their going to stand then taking it to the ground, i kinda think thats what herring will do. Kongo is actually the underdog in this fight in my mind. I think herring can stand with him and do ok, but if it goes to the ground kongo is screwed.
BlazinSaddle
2/25/08 8:54:31PM

Posted by Copenhagen

avatar bet please!!! i'll even bet real money if you got the stones
SmileR
2/25/08 9:00:06PM
If i had to chose one i'd go with Hazelett. He's got pretty decent subs an Kos might get caught by a cheeky arm bar or something. I still picked Kos though!

Also the only way i can imagine O'brien wining is by tko from G&P. Theirs no way he'll be able to L&P for 3 rounds without Arlovski catching him in a sub or jumping up an putting his fist where O'brien's teeth should be.

MALICE
2/25/08 9:41:50PM
I dont see Sanchez, Koscheck, or Fitch losing. I don't see the Cummo or Kongo fights as much of an upset. So the biggest upset that I think is possible is O'Brien over AA.
Gladiator
2/25/08 9:47:04PM

Posted by SmileR

If i had to chose one i'd go with Hazelett. He's got pretty decent subs an Kos might get caught by a cheeky arm bar or something. I still picked Kos though!

Also the only way i can imagine O'brien wining is by tko from G&P. Theirs no way he'll be able to L&P for 3 rounds without Arlovski catching him in a sub or jumping up an putting his fist where O'brien's teeth should be.

i actually did pick hazelett for the win, the guy amazing off his back and i think he will catch kos in a sub.

i know the popular trend on this card is to pick O'brien for the upset against arlovski but... seriously guys have u thought it through the whole way? sure his lay'n'pray tactics worked on herring, but herring was injured (torn ACL i believe) and attempted no submissions and has never really been known for his takedown defense. Arlovski on the other hand showed great takedown defense against werdum and is very active when on the ground, i highly doubt Jake O'brien can keep him on the ground for 15 minutes especially after just recovering from major surgeory
gartface
2/25/08 10:01:15PM
Herring will take Kongo down and armbar him in the first.

I also put $250 on Chris Wilson, but that's just because of the odds.
prozacnation1978
2/25/08 10:14:18PM
i usually only bet on a couple fights but i bet big
if any of those three bad boys fitch, kos, or diego lose i will be losing big time.
i hate upsets cause well i lose big, but if i had to say one i would say herring over kongo i doubt andre wouls lose i think he is hungry and wants to prove a point that he is still one of the best heavyweights and that the ufc will regret letting him go. perfect night wouldn't be silva retaining the title but andre going out there banging hard catch jake and knock him out in the first then watch the ufc sign him to new deal with him fighting big nog for the title next. can i dream??
Rush
2/25/08 11:08:24PM

Posted by Kpro

I voted Fioravanti since he's the 1 of the 6 that I actually consider the favorite in my own eyes. Herring would be my next choice.

I agree, but also because I think Herring will win.
Pages: [1] 2