ups and downs of creatine?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » ups and downs of creatine?
Next Page »
p_unit23
6/6/08 11:46:10AM
I know people who have taken creatine over the years, and they're ripped. Those are the signs its working for them. Are there downsides to taking creatine? I wanna know the good and bad about taking this supplement.
seanfu
6/6/08 12:28:24PM
If you're trying to get a good looking body Creatine can definantly help.

It basically inflates the muscles with water and gives a bit of a water pocket in your core which looks like you just ate all the time.

You get a lot of energy, for me, A LOT.

It also gives a little of an extra push for more weight.

The downside for me was that my body did a major peak where I felt like ****** superman and then you have to cycle off and all your weights will drop.

You basically have to get used to doing less and that sucks.

You have to stay extra hydrated with any supplement so your body can process it without an organ going bad.

Also your body naturally produces Creatine so you only have a 1 month window for use or your body will think it has to produce less of it and in that case you have to take Creatine for the rest of your life to bring yourself up to regular levels.
(I'm not 100% on the above paragraph but pretty damn sure)

Creatine's great. I would just use it to peak for competition.
Kracker_Jap
6/6/08 6:21:28PM
and to add because creatine makes you retain water it makes it much harder to get ripped but it easily adds size....

I cycle Creatine in the winter because of the water retention......

Some Skinny guys can get away with it and stay ripped.... But I'm not bone and tendon
casey64
6/6/08 6:32:07PM
I dont like it as well as I do protein!
Copenhagen
6/6/08 7:20:37PM
Diarrhea.
fedorwins1
6/6/08 11:08:40PM
I took it for over two months, small amounts everyday (it's a different way to cycle instead of loading your body up and then stopping for a few weeks). I honestley didn't feel a difference at all, nothing, felt the same except I was bloated from drinking a lot of water.

I know some people react better to it than others, maybe I'm someone who doesn't react well to it. I would rather just take whey protein though. IMO most of it is mental, you think, "oh yeah I'm gonna get huge taking this and get so much stronger." and it makes you more motivated and you work harder giving you better results.

The only thing about creatine that scares me is that it's only been around for a little while and we don't know the effects it could have 20-30 years down the road from now. They could realize it puts strain on the liver, causes some type of cancer, or something like that.

One tip I have to give you though is that every brand of creatine is the same, no creatine is better than another, so it doesn't matter if you buy really cheap creatine or really expensive creatine, it will have the same effect.
Guru
6/7/08 11:27:48AM

Posted by fedorwins1
One tip I have to give you though is that every brand of creatine is the same, no creatine is better than another, so it doesn't matter if you buy really cheap creatine or really expensive creatine, it will have the same effect.

I disagree i too a cheap GNC creatine and had no results at all. then i started taking "Krealklyn" or however u spell it and had AMAZING results.

Google it. its Ph balanced so supposedly more stays in your body.

Worked For Me
fedorwins1
6/7/08 12:51:33PM

Posted by Guru

Posted by fedorwins1

I disagree i too a cheap GNC creatine and had no results at all. then i started taking "Krealklyn" or however u spell it and had AMAZING results.

Google it. its Ph balanced so supposedly more stays in your body.

Worked For Me

Yeah I guess you're right, I read an article awhile ago in a fitness magazine all about creatine and it said that all types of creatine have the same effect and no one creatine is better. That was awhile ago though and things could have changed and better forms were made.
Guru
6/7/08 5:37:09PM
^I mean it also varies from person to person too. different things work for different people.^

i would try it and see if you like it. i used Muscletech nitro-tech and BSN N.O. X-Plode and Krealklyn and had AWESOME results

Hope this helps
mrsmiley
6/8/08 9:29:42AM

Posted by Guru

^I mean it also varies from person to person too. different things work for different people.^

i would try it and see if you like it. i used Muscletech nitro-tech and BSN N.O. X-Plode and Krealklyn and had AWESOME results

Hope this helps

N.O Xplode is probably the best supplement I have ever taken in my life.
dannyfrank
6/8/08 9:57:01PM
i dont really know anything about it, but im sure that there are some downsides to it. pretty much everything has some negative side effect to it
Rush
6/8/08 10:05:44PM
I've never taken it, but I lived with a guy that was jacked up on creatine and ephedra. He would go work out at the gym all afternoon, then he would literally crash and sleep on the couch for 12-15hrs.
Guru
6/8/08 10:11:40PM

Posted by Rush

I've never taken it, but I lived with a guy that was jacked up on creatine and ephedra. He would go work out at the gym all afternoon, then he would literally crash and sleep on the couch for 12-15hrs.

That's most likely the Ephedra.

Baaaad Stuff IMO.
Rush
6/8/08 10:14:56PM

Posted by Guru

That's most likely the Ephedra.

Baaaad Stuff IMO.

No doubt. I thought the combination of the two would be like taking caffeine and sugar cubes.
p_unit23
6/8/08 11:09:42PM
what about Creatine Monohydrate?
Rush
6/9/08 3:46:42PM

Posted by p_unit23

what about Creatine Monohydrate?

That is creatine. The monohydrate means the salt is complexed with a water molecule. This is common for many salts.

The other product on the market is creatine ethyl ester. this is a slightly modified version of creatine, which is more lipophilic (esters are more hydrophobic than carboxyls). Thus its creators claim that it is absorbed more readily and has a longer lifetime in the body. However, the molecule must also be converted into creatine before it is useful.
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/10/08 2:20:27PM
N.O. Xplode has the Creatine Ethyl Ester in it... and I will say that I experienced no bloating or water retention at all like I did when I took Creatine Monohydrate.

I'm not a supplement junkie by any means....but I have never experienced a more intense workout and the ability to push myself for long periods of time than when I work out with N.O. Xplode. Not sure of the science behind it and there are other ingredients that I'm sure contribute to the effect I felt....but it was a much better experience .....for me anyway.

I don't take it religiously, but even when I'm not taking it I don't feel like I've lost much of the strength and endourance I gained. As long as I continue to work out of course.
Rush
6/10/08 7:26:36PM
NO Xplode does contain caffeine and taurine which are found in energy drinks. There is some evidence that taurine improves muscle fatigue and may lower blood sugar, but I have not read these studies personally.

Some of the ingredients are not patented (i.e. trade secrets) and therefore the components of their blend are not published.

My advice for you if you are curious is to down an energy drink** instead of the NO Xplode. That way you can get a sense if it is the caffeine and taurine or the other ingredients.

** I generally do not condone the consumption of energy drinks. I think they do more harm than good, but if you are really curious, I wont stop you.
Kracker_Jap
6/10/08 10:41:05PM
I used to take every supplement out there about 7 years ago but now stick to the basics.....

But I have to admit I love the Energy drinks without High Fructose Cornsyrup
Guru
6/12/08 2:21:03PM
on the back of the N.O Explode it says you should always access your tolerance for the caffeine. the stuffs loaded haha.

Creatine however...

I think i starting to turn into a poster boy for this product.

LINK

but iven if you dont want to use it check out the section
"Whats wrong with creatine?"
Guru
6/12/08 2:23:57PM
on the back of the N.O Explode it says you should always access your tolerance for the caffeine. the stuffs loaded haha.

Creatine however...

I think i starting to turn into a poster boy for this product.

LINK

but iven if you dont want to use it check out the section
Rush
6/12/08 2:46:11PM

Posted by Guru

Yeah, nothing new to me. Of course creatine is unstable. If it was too stable it wouldn't phosphorylate ADP.

One point I want to add to the "what's wrong with creatine" section of that site (and this is a pet peeve of mine, being a scientist) is that they are basically doing what every other company does. Try to make it look like they've done their homework and are smarter than the rest, but these guys failed as well.

Here is the statement

Many companies rely on testing methods such as HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) to guarantee their creatine products are 100% stable and pure.

However, these products are only tested while they are dry. As soon as you add them to a liquid, the story changes dramatically!

Does anyone else see the problem? Well, HPLC is not a test done on dry compounds. The compounds are indeed in water.... for a long time too. Even without knowing how the assay works, just look at the name for God sakes. HPLC (the L stands for "liquid").

My point, if the creatine survies the HPLC assay, then it will survive the few seconds in your glass. The question is whether it survives the route from your stomach to your muscles. Indeed it should because we obtain a lot of our creatine from red meat.

All in all, what I am saying doesn't change the fact that creatine is hard on your kidneys, whether it is creatine or creatinine.

Man, I need to write a book.
Guru
6/12/08 4:32:22PM
Like i said i had good results with it. but honestly i would rather just use protein.

Rush you really should write a book haha. or atleast work for a supplement company man.
Rush
6/12/08 4:46:20PM

Posted by Guru

Rush you really should write a book haha. or atleast work for a supplement company man.

I don't know if any of them would hire me. I seem to keep finding holes either in their product or marketing.

Actually I have considered writing a couple books. One was an extension (which would require vast improvements on the original) of a old high school project on the biophysics of grappling (throwing and joint locks)

The other is one about how the common person gets fooled in politics, advertising, etc. because of their limited knowledge in science and statistics. I never planned to attack specific products, but rather provide generic examples to get my point across and get people thinking.

Alas, the first one would be more for hobby because I don't think the payoff for the work required would be worth it given the very limited group of target readers. There may also be one out there already, but I doubt it would be set up like mine.

The second, again might be limited because a lot of people really don't want to think hard about simple things.
Guru
6/12/08 9:05:17PM
Your The Man...
Kracker_Jap
6/12/08 10:53:41PM
Plain and simple creatine has been proven to work......

Lots of money doesn't equal better creatine.....

I am a ninja, most japanese people are

Rush
6/12/08 11:32:11PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Ninja should be able to make creatine from skinning wild animals killed with a bow, then extracting their blood with a blow gun
Kracker_Jap
6/13/08 12:45:46AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Ninja should be able to make creatine from skinning wild animals killed with a bow, then extracting their blood with a blow gun

Interesting Ninja Fact - there is on average 1gram of creatine in 5lbs of raw red meat.....

And yes I kill wild animals but mostly with my bare "karate chop" hands
Guru
6/13/08 2:15:52AM
HAHAHAHHAHHA!
Rollins
6/14/08 5:34:18PM
Alot of good stuff in this thread, thanks guys.
Pages: [1] 2