The Uppercut

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Uppercut
pdanke
11/16/08 10:55:16PM
With Junior Dos Santos and Jeremy Stephens totally kick ass KO's via uppercut, it's kinda odd that we don't see this punch more often. Obviously it leaves you open, but damn does it make for a nice KO.

On a related note, Jeremy Stephens showed a lot of good jiu jitsu defense. His shoulder looked pretty jacked up at the end of round 1... great comeback KO.
bojangalz
11/16/08 11:04:29PM
Pretty sure Lil Heathen thought he was auditioning for the newest Mortal Kombat game. Usually when someone takes a shot like that I expect them to fly through the ceiling and finish the fight on the roof!
MALICE
11/16/08 11:08:48PM

Posted by bojangalz

Pretty sure Lil Heathen thought he was auditioning for the newest Mortal Kombat game. Usually when someone takes a shot like that I expect them to fly through the ceiling and finish the fight on the roof!

It was one hell of a lunging uppercut.
Jackelope
11/16/08 11:12:00PM
That uppercut was absolutely sick. One of the best KO's I've ever seen by a long shot. Ranks right up there with Rory Markham's KO on Farber earlier this year.

That's why when you train boxing you always cover your chin with your elbow when covering up. Give up the centerline and you'll get eaten alive. I'm willing to bet Stephens saw that Dos Anjos wasn't covering up properly and that's why he was confident enough to throw like that

imanidiot777
11/16/08 11:14:55PM

Posted by Jackelope

That uppercut was absolutely sick. One of the best KO's I've ever seen by a long shot. Ranks right up there with Rory Markham's KO on Farber earlier this year.

That's why when you train boxing you always cover your chin with your elbow when covering up. Give up the centerline and you'll get eaten alive. I'm willing to bet Stephens saw that Dos Anjos wasn't covering up properly and that's why he was confident enough to throw like that

I have it as the second best KO I have ever seen, nothing to me as topped the Gonzaga head kick on Cro Cop. Jeremy Stephens did exactly what Junior Dos Santos did to Werdum except it looked even better.
Khaos
11/16/08 11:32:40PM
The Uppercut is a great punch to see, been seeing a lot lately, which is a good thing because I was getting tired of watching Vlad vs Arlovski from UFC 44.
Jackelope
11/16/08 11:35:09PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by Jackelope

I have it as the second best KO I have ever seen, nothing to me as topped the Gonzaga head kick on Cro Cop. Jeremy Stephens did exactly what Junior Dos Santos did to Werdum except it looked even better.

Another great KO. As was Randleman's KO over Crocop from the Pride days. I think in the next few days I might try to compile a top 10 best KO's list
TimW001
11/16/08 11:50:45PM
cmill21
11/16/08 11:57:10PM

Posted by TimW001

How do you get hit with that? Lol.
Twenty20Dollars
11/17/08 12:45:09AM
And the wind up makes it even better.
jae_1833
11/17/08 12:58:03AM
Nice Gif....that hit had my whole house screaming!! Instant classic, another great ko you all missed....Rashad's over Salmon!! SCARY!!!!
zephead
11/17/08 3:07:22PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by TimW001

How do you get hit with that? Lol.

I think he thought that it was gonna be a body punch.
cowcatcher
11/17/08 3:16:21PM
guys dont get hit with that in sparring when theyre screwing around much less a pro fight on the biggest stage in the world. i dont know that a shot that telegraphed and wound up will ever land again in the ufc, it was crazy and a hell of a lot of fun to see.
Wolfenstein
11/17/08 4:12:50PM
Really awesome knockout, but a dangerous punch to throw. Lest we forget what happened to Chuck when you get countered throwing an uppercut from a distance.
bls1919
11/17/08 9:54:40PM
Stevens is lucky he didn't get a hernia with the power he put into that one. His F'ing knuckles scrapped the ground for god sake Pretty sure eveyone watching saw it but Anjos. Great KO
jiujitsufreak74
11/17/08 10:00:57PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Really awesome knockout, but a dangerous punch to throw. Lest we forget what happened to Chuck when you get countered throwing an uppercut from a distance.

i said the exact same thing when i saw it. his chin was sticking out so far i could have KOed him from my couch
ncordless
11/17/08 10:47:04PM

Posted by TimW001

Every time I see this GIF I expect Dana's head to appear in the bottom corner of it and yell out "Toasty" in a high voice.
jiujitsufreak74
11/17/08 11:01:38PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by TimW001

Every time I see this GIF I expect Dana's head to appear in the bottom corner of it and yell out "Toasty" in a high voice.

that...and i expect to see Dos Anjos fly up and land in a pit of spikes
RiseUp21
11/18/08 1:45:40AM
imagine if he followed up and connected with the left hook it looked like he was about to throw after the uppercut.
jiujitsufreak74
11/18/08 4:58:57PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by TimW001

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Aether
11/18/08 7:53:05PM
SHORYUKEN!!!
jocka
11/19/08 11:30:00PM
The uppercut was awesome because Dos Anjos got ko by it but except from that its the type of punch a fighther should never throw it leaves you open to so many counters. Another big problem is that Dos anjos was not even looking at the punch he turn is face before it ever landed and we all know what happen when you don't see a puch coming. Still the ko was awesome. I wish someone would make that mistake while sparring with me