Updated: Fight Results... First Smoker Fight July 19th!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Updated: Fight Results... First Smoker Fight July 19th!
4u2nv
7/2/08 4:10:06PM
Hello I have my first Smoker Fight July 19th its, very very amateur, we're wearing head gear and normal MMA gloves. I might as well introduce myself. I've been training MMA roughly 6 months 4-5 times a week. Weight train 5-6 times a week. Cardio before and after 3times of weight training days. I’m 6'2 around 215lbs. My MT is pretty solid, BJJ defense is good but sweeps aren't great and I know basic Subs. I’ve only been training bjj for about 2 months. My wrestling is terrible! I just suck at it... Take Downs, sweeps etc! Once on the ground I move around very well and keep the 3 points well. But nothing special by all means. For my job I always travel, so sometimes I’m home training MMA 2-3 weeks straight and then have to miss 3-4 classes outta the week which is one of my main weakness. My main weakness seems to be cardio... my breathing is the worse. I breathe out on everything and try to control it but I get winded. I can’t jump rope to save my life despite trying very hard to learn. I can do it for about 3-4 mins and then just can’t seem to move the rope around fast enough or jump or skip high enough. But I try! I do steps and sprints for cardio to make up for my inability to jump rope. But I still train as hard as I can only working on techinque, and honestly rarely muscling my way outta things. Another problem I have it my ability to turn on that angry mean fighting mode. I’m always relaxed, moving off my heels, blocking, shrugging my opponent off me, sprawling and blocking kicks. But I see some people just turn into monsters and get this burst of energy.... I know poise is great but being a noob like me sometimes that adderenaline rush is huge. But as side that I’m just nervous and training hard. Id appreciate any helpful comments and ideas. Thanks and wish me luck bc ill probably get my az beat!

The Fight:

July 19th…. 700am I get up and go for a light job and a lil jump roping. I’m back home by 740am, I decided that I want to weigh in heavy and hopefully get someone who will outweigh me and I’ll have the speed and gas tank upper hand, so I down some oatmeal and about a gallon of water and leave for weigh-ins. I’m wearing shorts, jogging pants, 2 t-shirts, and sweatshirt. In my hands and pockets I have wallet, keys, work keys, cell, Zune and gallon of water. My friend turns her head; I step on the scale and BaM!!! 223 ready lbs! LOL I smirk and leave to go back to my house since I have over 2 hours till our meeting. I get home I down a protein shake and relax till I have to go back. I get there I see tons of fighters I’ve never seen before, a few friends and BS till the meeting. No elbows and No knees…. I’m not too happy about it but what can u do… New Jersey AMT rules. So I watch some really good fights, my nerves are good, I have no idea who I’m fighting bc I don’t recognize his name and I’m too concerned. As a joke I jump back on the scale and weighed 208lbs. I’m fight number 14, so around 10 I’m warming up. Before I know it I’m hitting pads with a friend at a high pace, and I hear my name! I could have sworn they were on fight 11 or maybe 12 but there on 14! I run to the cage a little gas-ed and panicking and see my opponent. He’s about 2 inches shorter and stocky and has some flab to lose. As I get to my corner with my instructors and friends give me some info on him; he’s a wrestler, with a few more months’ exp and has a few yrs of Taekwondo… at this point I’m nervous! But figure I’ve trained harder than him, and I have reach and my boxing skills are up to par. So the bell rings and in all honesty I knew deep inside I don’t want to get hit, I don’t want to lose… so I’m going to hurt this guy till someone taps or see the back of their eye lids. I come in with a solid inside leg kick. He attempts to jab and leg kick, but I’m very fast on my feet and doesn’t land any. Finally I decide it’s time for me to start, he does a loopy jab/hook I slip get hit a lil but not enough to stop my 2,3,2. As I swing the last cross I see his eyes are shut and he’s going down, but to my surprise he’s shooting for a single on the way down! I think to knee but remember I can’t. I go to sprawl but it’s a little late and I work for under hooks and cross face. I get him up to about chest level and turn him into the cage. We go back a forth turning until I post on him against the cage and land a solid liver shot. He shots again for that single. This time he gets me and he’s in my guard. My BJJ is decent so I don’t feel so uncomfortable. I keep his posture low enough to get an arm through. He panics because he knows I’ve got a triangle with his name on it. Right as I go to pull down his neck he’s saved by the bell. Now I’ve been training very hard for this fight; sparring, sprinting and tons of cardio, but never felt as bad as I did after round one. My heart was pounding, my body was fatigued as hell but my breathing and mind were sharp. I thought to myself and figured this is Adrenaline Dump! But when I looked across and my opponent was in worse shape to me I just tried my hardest to get my heart rate down and ready for round two. At the sound of the bell I start strong, again with a sick inside leg kick and dodge his 1,2,3. He attempts a front side body kick, I dodge wanting to instead eat it and catch it but didn’t. Instead I went for my own body kick and ended up hitting his hip and he shot for a single again! This time don’t sprawl fast enough and he swings me down after I try and hop around a bit. I work from guard to sweep him but he eventually gets half guard. He attempts a key lock or whatever I defend and start to work in body shots from the bottom. Yes I’m tall and lanky, lol. I eventually hip out and am back on my feet but as soon as I get up onto my back foot he’s shooting in again! This time he got mount! Now I control his hands and try to bridge him but he’s heavy… very heavy. And it’s much harder when their punching you in the face. Lucky I defend till the bell. Next round my corner says “bro you’ve fought such a better fight then him, but he’s had position over you 2 rounds… KO or Submit!” So I go out a little higher pace hoping for his mistake. I land a few jabs, he shots in I this time I back up fast and as he’s standing back up I land a 1,2 that broke his nose. He now it keeping distance and he breathing heavier. I close distance and he shots again. This time I decide I’m not going to the ground so I cross face him and he’s pushing. I go towards my corner and I start giving him body shots and face shots as he’s driving me into the cage. I notice he’s blocking his face more bc of his nose so I keep going body, body, face, body till his guard is low and I slip in my left arm across his neck and take his back, sink hooks and he falls to the mat. I bridge, sink in deep and he’s fighting my one arm. I slip my right (stronger) arm in over his neck, and lock it in deeper and bridge. He turns purple and taps!!!!
I’ve never been more excited in my life for a long time; I’ve trained my ass off, and was beat to hell. I made a lot of mistakes and have a lot and I mean a lot to work on. But at least I won a hard fought war!
fullerene
7/2/08 4:16:46PM
Good luck.

Has your instructor told you that he thought you should be fighting? I assume he's going to be there cornering you, right?
4u2nv
7/2/08 4:21:10PM
ya he's said im pretty ready. we have a few instructors at our school but 3 said im good as long as its not some crazy monster wrestler. even still i hope i could get postion and try to sub from there.
fullerene
7/2/08 4:39:32PM

Posted by 4u2nv

ya he's said im pretty ready. we have a few instructors at our school but 3 said im good as long as its not some crazy monster wrestler. even still i hope i could get postion and try to sub from there.

I wanted to make sure, because I'm getting two different pictures from what you typed originally. I think in a lot of ways you're a good model for some of the other posters here who are talking about fighting before they've done anything:
* You've been training for several months in MMA (not that long really, but enough to know what it's all about)
* You're working additional weight training and cardio into your workouts
* You mentioned MT as your strength and so I'm assuming you've done a decent amount of sparring and that you are OK with the reality that you might get punched in the face
* You're starting off fighting in a smoker after getting an OK from your instructors
* Your height and weight imply that you're in good, or at least proportional, shape
* You seem to be conscious of your strengths and weaknesses and your overall ability at this point

It sounds like you already know what you need to work on long-term--cardio, wrestling, and overall experience. Short-term, it will be difficult to do too much to alter what happens in just two weeks. If you're OK with the possible outcome of losing and/or getting punched hard then I think you should relax and try to enjoy the experience. You'll learn something from it win or lose.

I still don't understand the cardio problems, though. Jumping rope for a few minutes should not cause fatigue--especially if you've been doing it for months--and it makes me think that there's something missing in your description. My first thoughts were that you were overly tense or overweight, but it sounds like neither is the case.
4u2nv
7/2/08 5:00:58PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by 4u2nv

I wanted to make sure, because I'm getting two different pictures from what you typed originally. I think in a lot of ways you're a good model for some of the other posters here who are talking about fighting before they've done anything:
* You've been training for several months in MMA (not that long really, but enough to know what it's all about)
* You're working additional weight training and cardio into your workouts
* You mentioned MT as your strength and so I'm assuming you've done a decent amount of sparring and that you are OK with the reality that you might get punched in the face
* You're starting off fighting in a smoker after getting an OK from your instructors
* Your height and weight imply that you're in good, or at least proportional, shape
* You seem to be conscious of your strengths and weaknesses and your overall ability at this point

It sounds like you already know what you need to work on long-term--cardio, wrestling, and overall experience. Short-term, it will be difficult to do too much to alter what happens in just two weeks. If you're OK with the possible outcome of losing and/or getting punched hard then I think you should relax and try to enjoy the experience. You'll learn something from it win or lose.

I still don't understand the cardio problems, though. Jumping rope for a few minutes should not cause fatigue--especially if you've been doing it for months--and it makes me think that there's something missing in your description. My first thoughts were that you were overly tense or overweight, but it sounds like neither is the case.

Thanks a lot! And your correct on this can help out of posters on this forum and others. I was nervous to post on here bc I might at my butt chewed out about how I’m not ready. I’m in great shape for the most part. I walk around at 215 but cut to 205 in 4-5 days just for ***** and giggles to keep my mind and body ready to do it. Not that I ever have to but just to know that I can someday. I do have a lot to learn. I train a lot... and I train very hard and most think I’m pretty good at it but I know that I’m just not nearly as good as any professional or amt pro. I go to grappling matches, muay thai fights and area mma bouts and those fighters r really a few steps ahead of me. It’s a lot harder than it looks on TV and on YouTube. It’s a lot of work... and takes a lot of heart. I would not mind losing. I sparred pretty hard last night and for the first time really took some tough shots to the head and body. And this is by someone who is 30lbs lighter. Granted I’ve never punched or kicked at my full power (worries me that I might not be able to... idk y) but I’m in this fight to learn.

Okay and as for Jump Roping I just can't do it for a while time. I can jog; sprint and spar longer then jump roping. I just get winded! Idk y either. I’ll keep it up though... also I don’t want to be a professional or anything someday. This is a pure hobby and I’m the type to obsess over my hobbies.
chris91301
7/2/08 5:24:42PM
few advice points:

bring chocolate and water to the fight. try to relax before the fight, because the hardest part will be the few hours before the fight when you are nervous.

also very important, listen to your corner. I did not do that in my first mma fight and I lost. Make a plan and stick to it.... for example you are fighting BJJ guy then keep it standing at all cost, stand up guy... try to find his weakness and beat him to it . You'll know who you fight before the fight, so that should make the plan easier to go with. Once you stop sticking to the plan you are pretty much wasting your time until he subs/ko's you.

Again most importantly listen to your corner and try to relax before the fight.

First fight is the hardest one because of the psych level. Good luck friend.

Hope this helps

my mma now is 3-2-0 so not so great i guess. but its a few things i learned fast.
Ben_Hutch
7/2/08 7:26:45PM
F*ck tactics just knock him out.
billycarnage
7/2/08 7:50:32PM
For cardio, check your diet. I am sure you are careful but a lot of things can slow you down. I had a job where I travelled and it was always so hard to keep up my diet. Soda/caffine kills me more carbonation than anything but research some good vitamins/supplements and keep pushing yourself.

As for the killer instinct i think once you get rocked you wont have that problem any more. Some people have to eat a few punches before they get serious about it. I hope you do well and get the best of him.

That's all I got Good luck
Jackelope
7/2/08 11:44:08PM
I really wish I had more time to write. Instead I'm going to give it the quick & nasty.

BTW, Fullerene did an awesome job commenting on the post. Props to you Fullerene.

For the animal instinct/attack mode I personally believe there is a use for it if you can turn it on and off. However, like all things I do believe it has to be trained as well. I do it by forcing myself to bust out one or two last combinations after the buzzer goes off in a heavy bag session. Just reach deep down inside, think of something that pisses you off and let it out.

Maybe you can't ever get it, and that's fine, but that's one way I pull it out. Over time your control of it and ability to summon it will increase.

As for cardio and all of that- I suggest you do more of that real time training. Actually get in the cage with a training partner and go at it 75-85% This is something your instructor may be against but I feel it is very important. For knocking out fight jitters, building confidence, getting used to being hit, and training cardio for actual fights. Again, though.. this depends on the instructor.

Your poor wrestling might also be a reason for your cardio. Wrestling positions like defending the takedown, getting the takedown, and surviving the clinch can be some of the most exhausting positions. The less trained you are in them the more they're going to gas you out.

Anyways, good luck to you and I hope you do well! Great to see an honest poster achieving some dreams.

HMA123
7/3/08 1:30:24AM
Since everyone else did a great job posting, ill just say a few things..

Everyone gets nervous before there big day, grappling event, mma event , w/e you will be nervous.. Try and not get to nervous, change that into excitement. If it doesnt, dont let nervousness take over, just be yourself. Try not to change up your daily routine .

You still have a few weeks until your event, so yeah definetly work on cardio and ground game. Run up hills,bleachers,do sprints,swim,jump rope,run.
Other drills, you can set a timer or get a coach and run in place and sprawl and pop back up, Simple stuff like that gets cardio going. Hit a tire with sludge hammer. Believe it or not thats alot of cardio as well with strength.
Go with a partner/coach whatever, do standup combinations as well with you shooting for a takedown.
Do alot of sparring.

Drink alot of water. As you know, but make sure all you drink is water, you never want to cramp up, especially in the middle of a event.
Eat alot of good sugar and carbs.
Bananas,Granola bars,etc.
Have a plan for the fight, and to be safe a back plan.
Do your thing.
Jus be yourself man.
The-Don
7/10/08 5:03:38PM
One thing to remember is to breathe... I have a hard time with my breathing when I am jumping rope.. I am not very good.. but I can grapple and spar for longer periods of time... I just at times while jumping forget to breathe.. so you get tired faster....
Mattchoo
7/13/08 5:11:34PM
The most basic thing I see with lower level fighters, and new fighters I see on my kickboxing circuit is their uncanny ability to wave their chin about.

Keep the chin tucked if you dont want your jaw annihilated and end up kfto.

Good luck
JimmieDD
7/13/08 9:22:25PM
Good luck bro.. let us know how you did..
4u2nv
7/14/08 9:06:35AM
Hey thanks for all the informative posts! There all awesome! In the last two weeks of training its come down to this... I have all the tools, a large enough gas tank and the motivation... but lack the aggressiveness! I’m to defensive, I don’t get mad, I’m not forcing my will on my opponent, I jab, hook, cross and back away! I lack the killer mentality!!!! I spar with instructors, friends and I stuff the jab insanely, my foot movement is great, leg kicks of death but when it comes down to finishing the fight; I just can’t! I know everyone talks a big game but then it comes down to it, I’m just too passive, or to nice! I’m a huge guy, 6'2 210 lean pounds, super intimidating looking, but my mind just can't sum it up to knock someone out! I’ve never punched more than 80% and I just don’t know... we're coming down with a good game plan for me but also trying to find away to pull out this angry and aggression. I know this may sound dumb to some of you guys but it’s the truth. I’ve trained very hard for the last two months, and I’m confident in myself just lack that aggression. I'd be surprised if I throw the first punch or probably get peppered to death by punches and duck away or go for the clinch for defense.... but everyone says if I swing first and impose my will I should beat anyone around my experience level and higher.. I just need to Hulk up! Lol honestly... I’m starting to doubt myself which is huge. I’m watching tons of inspirational videos and getting myself siked up. So we'll see... Saturday July 19th! I’ll keep everyone posted on everything up till the date and the results of it. And if for some act of God I destroy this guy I plan on doing a Muay Thai match as well that day. Since my MT is very solid and I can only learn from it win or lose.

"Fights are won and lost all in your mind."

And Thanks again everyone! Thanks a lot!
The-Don
7/14/08 11:08:41AM

Posted by 4u2nv

Hey thanks for all the informative posts! There all awesome! In the last two weeks of training its come down to this... I have all the tools, a large enough gas tank and the motivation... but lack the aggressiveness! I’m to defensive, I don’t get mad, I’m not forcing my will on my opponent, I jab, hook, cross and back away! I lack the killer mentality!!!! I spar with instructors, friends and I stuff the jab insanely, my foot movement is great, leg kicks of death but when it comes down to finishing the fight; I just can’t! I know everyone talks a big game but then it comes down to it, I’m just too passive, or to nice! I’m a huge guy, 6'2 210 lean pounds, super intimidating looking, but my mind just can't sum it up to knock someone out! I’ve never punched more than 80% and I just don’t know... we're coming down with a good game plan for me but also trying to find away to pull out this angry and aggression. I know this may sound dumb to some of you guys but it’s the truth. I’ve trained very hard for the last two months, and I’m confident in myself just lack that aggression. I'd be surprised if I throw the first punch or probably get peppered to death by punches and duck away or go for the clinch for defense.... but everyone says if I swing first and impose my will I should beat anyone around my experience level and higher.. I just need to Hulk up! Lol honestly... I’m starting to doubt myself which is huge. I’m watching tons of inspirational videos and getting myself siked up. So we'll see... Saturday July 19th! I’ll keep everyone posted on everything up till the date and the results of it. And if for some act of God I destroy this guy I plan on doing a Muay Thai match as well that day. Since my MT is very solid and I can only learn from it win or lose.

"Fights are won and lost all in your mind."

And Thanks again everyone! Thanks a lot!

See if you can get a tape of your fights.. It would be awesome to see and maybe help you get some feed back.. plus it is good for yourself so you can watch after the fact see what you did right and see what you did wrong..
chris91301
7/16/08 2:47:20PM
yep, totally tape it.

would be something for you to remember and review. and when you get old, its good memories to have. i do regret not taping my fights.
The-Don
7/17/08 9:52:37AM

Posted by chris91301

yep, totally tape it.

would be something for you to remember and review. and when you get old, its good memories to have. i do regret not taping my fights.

yea I was only in one serious tournament wwhen I was about 17... I wish i had it on tape cause man up until my loss I was doing good... I went 3-1 it was open weight and style grappling allowed.. I got 3 subs then got KO'd... To this day i am not sure how and would love to have the question answered
4u2nv
7/18/08 11:10:03AM
okay looks like this is the last 24 hours. trw all the fights start around this time. Over the last few days ive been working on game plan situations and how to use the crap outta the cage since ours isnt as big as the UFC's. Anyone else got anything to add id appreciate it if not wish me luck and ill try and tape it.
4u2nv
7/19/08 4:32:47PM
I WON! 3rd round via rear naked choke!!! will put details and vid up later tonight or trw morning! thanks everyone for all tips and help!
fullerene
7/19/08 5:07:28PM

Perfect. Got a win and got some time in the ring/cage.
4u2nv
7/22/08 4:43:14PM
fight posted
Rush
7/22/08 5:12:08PM

Posted by 4u2nv

fight posted

Where?
Pitbull09
7/24/08 1:52:26AM
Great post man, I want more of this on the forums. What is more exciting to read about but our own personal fights.
chris91301
7/25/08 8:10:10PM
congratulations, seems like quite an experience of a lifetime there! do you have a video you can post? would be interesting to review it.