*Update* Bring back "the Upgrade?"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » *Update* Bring back "the Upgrade?"
POLL: Bring back Dan Lauzon?
Yes, definately 23% (8)
No, he's not ready yet 9% (3)
Put him in the WEC first 63% (22)
Screw the LW Aleks 6% (2)
Manfred
1/28/08 4:50:44PM
UPDATE:
I decided to just email Dan and ask him. His reply:

"I'm shooting for the end of this year"

Dana is going to be at his fight in World Championship Fighting this Sat (at least the show promo says he's a special guest), so hopefully something will come out of it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone else think it's time the UFC gave Dan Lauzon another shot? I was really impressed with his fight against Spencer Fisher. He took the fight on 2 weeks notice but did very well for an 18 year-old (youngest ever in the UFC) against a tough vet. He was winning IMO until he gassed and got caught.

Not counting that fight, his Sherdog record says he's 7-1 with all 7 wins being 1st and 2nd round stoppages. Granted, against lesser competition. Joe told me he (yes, he actually replies to fans) that he had another fight last weekend and another Rd.1 TKO that's not on fight finder. I wonder how many more there are?

They can certainly market him, what do you guys think?

Edit: I forgot to add that they wanted him on TUF 5, but Spike shot it down since he wasn't 21 and there's alcohol in the house. So why wouldn't they bring him back?
Styles
1/28/08 4:55:55PM
Throw him into WEC for now and let him do his thing there.
juanez13
1/28/08 5:10:12PM
i think they should send him to the wec first, than build him up as an up an comer, and see how he fairs against some better competition, depending how he does, the will make a decision to bring him or not, personally i think that they would keep him in the WEC, as zuffa is trying to build it up, and he does have some name recognition......
roadking95th
1/29/08 12:39:25AM
I voted No he is not ready yet. I believe it was in Fight magazine where I read that they want him back but he wants to gain experience first. The UFC was appreciative and impressed that he took the fight on short notice. Note, they asked his brother to take the fight first, but still on short notice, and he declined. I think it was only like a month after his Pulver fight.
Manfred
1/29/08 2:34:03AM
I just think he would do just as well, if not better, then the rest of the TUF 5 guys that are still in the UFC even though they didn't make to the semi's.

And to clarify, (this is coming from Joe) Dana offered Joe TUF w/o a tryout right after the Pulver fight. Joe said he should put Dan on instead. Dana agreed but Spike shot it down, so Joe went on.

And Joe has also been public about Dan's lack of focus or taking training seriously in the past, but he seems to be back on track (hence the LW Aleks crack)
Pitbull09
1/29/08 2:43:47AM

Posted by Styles

agreed at least for now. Once he gets a few fights in, move him back to the ufc again
sillysnail
1/29/08 4:03:21AM
"the upgrade" needs to chill for awhile until he actually proves he belongs in the ufc. i dont doubt that he will, but he's still not ready. whats up with that nickname anyway? does that make j-lau "the downgrade" lol. big bro lauzon will have a much more impressive year than dan imo.
Manfred
1/29/08 4:09:54AM
^ the name came from back in the day from their gym team-mates who thought physically and talent-wise, Dan was better. Obviously Joe took it more seriously and trained harder. Plus he has more disciplined game plans.

cowcatcher
1/29/08 10:13:58AM
the guy looked pretty damn good (for an 18 year old kid or otherwise) in his debut in the ufc, especially on short notice so i dont see why he shouldnt be back at some point in 08 or 09 at the latest. having brothers in the same org never hurts either, fans seem to attatch themselves to both brothers if they are a fan of one or the other.
DevonFoxy
1/29/08 10:24:49AM
I agree that he should be put in the WEC as he may be able to make 145 and would more then likly be better there. If in fact he can make that weight. This is what they did with Cole Millers Brother who is also very good and only 20 i would really like to see those two fight personally.
emfleek
1/29/08 3:30:03PM
I agree with the majority. Give him some development time in the WEC and THEN bring him up to the UFC.
jiujitsufreak74
1/29/08 7:03:16PM

Posted by Styles

i agree. he should get a feel for the cage and gain more experience in WEC before moving to the UFC. i feel since he is so young that he has too much time to be rushed into anything. dan should see how he does in the WEC and maybe with some success he can go up to the UFC a year or two later. there is no reason to jump right into the sea of the extremely talented LWs when oyou have plenty of time to develop your skills.
Manfred
1/30/08 1:21:34PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I agree that he should be put in the WEC as he may be able to make 145 and would more then likly be better there. If in fact he can make that weight. This is what they did with Cole Millers Brother who is also very good and only 20 i would really like to see those two fight personally.

Actually, Dan's bigger

Salty
1/30/08 2:11:42PM
I forget what interview it was, but he said that he asked dana for some time to get more experince as a pro fighter before coming back into the UFC, which i think is a good move on his part, he only had 4 fights under his belt as a pro when he fought fisher. I know he just fought down in georgia last friday, not sure how he did haven't been in the gym for awhile (busted knee) but hes got some big local fights coming up.
Manfred
1/30/08 2:26:05PM

Posted by Salty

I forget what interview it was, but he said that he asked dana for some time to get more experince as a pro fighter before coming back into the UFC, which i think is a good move on his part, he only had 4 fights under his belt as a pro when he fought fisher. I know he just fought down in georgia last friday, not sure how he did haven't been in the gym for awhile (busted knee) but hes got some big local fights coming up.

He won, Joe sent me this message:

Dan won by TKO in the first round... less than 2 minuts in he got the kids back and pounded him out.
Salty
1/30/08 4:46:02PM
nice, yea his next fight is in febuary and dana white is supposed to be there too
Manfred
2/5/08 4:24:05PM
ttt for the update
Boo_Radley21
2/5/08 5:09:41PM
I'd like to see him get another shot.