Upcoming Title Fights: Any Disagreements

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Upcoming Title Fights: Any Disagreements
POLL: Who is the #1 contender at 205?
Kimbo Slice 11% (8)
Jackon vs. Jardine winner 7% (5)
Dan Henderson 0% (0)
Shogun 0% (0)
Forrest Griffen 3% (2)
Lyoto Machida 80% (60)
miphi1991
2/3/09 11:14:09AM
LW: BJ Penn versus Kenny Florian

WW: Georges St. Pierre versus Thiago Alves (announced)

MW: Anderson Silva versus Thales Leities (announced)

LHW: Rashad Evans versus Lyoto Machida or winner of Jackon vs. Jardine

HW: Brock Lesner versus Frank Mir

Give me your thoughts on these fights. Who deserves the first crack at Rashad? and which fight do you think will be the most exciting?

(Before anyone freaks out and starts bashing me I'm only kidding about Kimbo in the poll lol)
Deathbringer
2/3/09 11:18:16AM
I don't think Jardine would get a title shot... I understood Dana's comments to mean that if Rampage gets past Jardine he gets the next shot, otherwise Machida might very well get it.

If Rampage gets the next shot I'd like to see Griffin and Machida square off for the shot after that one.
Franklinfan47
2/3/09 11:22:07AM
I have no problem with all those title fights personally. I think Lyoto should get the next shot at Rashad but if Rampage were to get it (pending his win over Jardine) I would be just as happy.
tuvok500
2/3/09 11:30:33AM
Kimbo should be in the picture ! i am shock that this SO TALENTED guy is never mentioned !! lol

WAR FLORIAN !!
theguido
2/3/09 11:31:22AM
the winner of jackson vs jardine gets my vote for two reasons imo jardine and rampage have more quality UFC wins than Machida
And I'd like to see Machida fight a more techinal fighter most of the guys he's fought in the UFC have been straight forward in your face fighters
wiggum
2/3/09 11:39:10AM
i like all the matchups except middleweight....i really dont think lietes deserves a shot....i think hes a great fighter, but i dont think hes first in line, but thats for another thread

with lhw i highly doubt that jardine (if he won) would face rashad...they already said they would never fight again, but who knows.....but even he won and they did fight, i still dont think he deserves a shot, ....also there is talk of winner of shogun-liddell getting one, but i see that further downt he road.....i personally think that machida deserves the shot.....but i wont cry over spilled milk if rampage gets it, former champ, ko'd silva and most likely do the same against another quality guy in jardine is good enough reason for me

other than that, everything matches up well
MMACombat
2/3/09 11:51:48AM

LW: BJ Penn versus Kenny Florian

WW: Georges St. Pierre versus Thiago Alves (announced)

I'm a huge fan of BJ Penn, but I'm glad GSP beat him just so these two fights can happen asap.

I can see Kenny Florian beating anyone in the LW division, but I can't see him getting past BJ Penn. I think Penn will come back in an impressive and dominating fashion with a submission win. I haven't a clue about GSP vs. Thiago Alves at the minute. They're both machines and coming off really impressive wins.

LHW: Rashad Evans versus Lyoto Machida or winner of Jackon vs. Jardine

I'd be surprised if Jardine was to face Rashad for the title anytime soon. I think he blows too hot and cold in this division which could be down to him fighting top opposition constantly. It would be hard for anyone to be getting consistent wins against his opposition; Vera, Silva, Liddell, etc.

I don't mind who fights Rashad out of Rampage and Machida as I think they both warrant it. I hated seeing Rampage lose to Forrest because I felt Forrest didn't quite deserve the shot with his record. If Machida does get looked over I'd like to see him fight the winner of Liddell vs. Rua, though.

Mayhem13
2/3/09 12:08:29PM
the only one I dont know if I agree with is Leites vs Silva....but there really isnt anyone else above Leites..I guess...just a bunch of people lumped in one spot...Leites/Maia/Bisping/Marquardt they are all kind of in the same spot.

Also I dont really like the Mir vs Lesnar rematch again so soon....but its fair, just worked out that way.
pv3Hpv3p
2/3/09 12:25:34PM

Posted by Deathbringer

I don't think Jardine would get a title shot... I understood Dana's comments to mean that if Rampage gets past Jardine he gets the next shot, otherwise Machida might very well get it.

If Rampage gets the next shot I'd like to see Griffin and Machida square off for the shot after that one.

I personally think that it should be the other way around... Forrest should get the winner of the Jardine fight either way... An opportunity for revenge against Jardine... Or the anticipated rematch with Rampage...

Machida's done more then enough, hell more than anyone else has to earn his spot... It's kinda bullshit... Maybe he just doesn't want to coach a season of the ultimate fighter or something?
fullerene
2/3/09 1:01:00PM
I wouldn't complain about any of those fights. My preference would be to see Machida rather than the Jackson-Jardine winner but, quite honestly, Jackson is a former champ with higher profile wins under his belt. I can see why he would get the nod.

I could also argue that Florian should have to fight Sherk again to prove that he's the #1 contender at LW. Sherk is a former champ coming off an impressive win over another contender (Griffin) and he beat Florian a while back. Kind of like with Machida, I like Florian's style and I'd rather see him in a title fight, but I think Sherk has a case for saying Florian's path runs through him first.
NatedawgThaM
2/3/09 1:33:56PM
Kenny Florian has done more then enough, should never have even had to face Huerta or Stevenson IMHO. ONly thing that I could deal with holding him back is a amazing fight rematch with Diego.

Alves no doubt, just don't let GSP dictate the pace and keep throwing GSP, it's how Fitch almost round 2 in their fight, he kept in GSP's face but didn't the rest of that fight. But it's harder then it might look definitely but just an idea.

Thales should have to rematch Kampman or Marquardt, a rematch with Cote I would see as a better fight IMO even though it's the winner of Hendo and Bisping no doubt should be #1 contender it should already be one of them.

Rashad should fight Rampage or machida. But machida gets cursed because of his elusive but still interestingly entertaining style and has to fight the winner of Shogun and Chuck who he will easily finish both of them IMHO because they aren't what they use to be sadly enough and Rampage has to fight Jardine, what kind of crap is that? I guess cuz they think theirs a small possible Jardine could beat him with kicks? Uh no, Rampage will run through him, enough stalling, fight em Rashad!

I mean Machida has yet to beat anybody great in the UFC yet so Rashad should either fight him or Rampage next definitely preferably Rampage cuz like I just said about Machida and he should fight Forrest or Rampage could get him, either way one should fight Rashad, the other machida.

And Lesnars gonna run through anybody I'm sorry....
mattjonesy
2/3/09 1:48:49PM
No problems with kenflo vs bj , should be a great fight.

gsp vs alves - alves definetly deserves a shot and i think he gives gsp alot more problems than bj did.

sliva vs leites - i think alot of people think this is a joke and he doesnt deserve a shot , but as they say styles make fights and leites could definetly pull off the upset.

rashad vs rampage/machida - If i was a match maker right now i would try my best to stop rampage and jardine from happning! call it off make machida vs rampage and give jardine thaigo silva and maybe put them on the same card . that way i think everyone is a winner.

brock vs mir - mir definelty deserves the fight and his stand up looked great against nog , but i think everyones stand up looks awesome against nog cause the guy doesnt move his head and just takes em all day! I can see me mir coming in to the brock fight so confident on his feet and brock taking his head off in the first round .
Mchubb316
2/3/09 2:51:07PM
I think Machida has done everything he needed to do to get a title shot. He is 6-0 in the UFC.

Florian vs BJ makes sense. Since his loss to Diego he is 9-1, and he has finished his opponenet in all 9 wins.

Leites is 5-1 in the UFC, and beat Marquardt who was and still is a title contender within the division. Give him his shot now, it may be his only chance.

GSP vs Alves I think is a no brainer. Alves is 9-2 in the UFC and is on a 7 fight win streak. He has earned the shot.

Brock vs Mir has to happen, because of the whole interim mess, caused by the couture situation. With Carwin looking more and more impressive, I can see him getting a shot soon.
haggiswashere
2/3/09 3:19:33PM
I was confused what to pick because I don't think Jardine deserves it but I think Jackson does...just when its his turn. Machida needs a shot too. He beat everybody they have ever put in front of him and I think the only reason he hadn't got it sooner was because of marketability because he was considered a boring fighter and he proved me and all the others who accused him of never finishing fights wrong so I think he should get it.
loller90278
2/3/09 3:25:02PM
i think the best chance to dethrone A. Silva is Nate Marquardt. He didn't get a chance to show off his skill against Silva their first time around, but now he's comfortable in the cage and is better at everything than all the other contenders.
gsquat
2/3/09 3:38:43PM
All are entirely appropriate except Leites fighting Silva. We all know what this is. Dana leaping at an opportunity to have an ARGUABLY worthy competitor get demolished by the UFC's most dominant champion.

Right now Machida is easily the #1 contender. But if Rampage beats Jardine, he'll have a case for that spot. For all practical purposes and fairness, Machida should get it.
haggiswashere
2/3/09 4:13:12PM

Posted by loller90278

i think the best chance to dethrone A. Silva is Nate Marquardt. He didn't get a chance to show off his skill against Silva their first time around, but now he's comfortable in the cage and is better at everything than all the other contenders.

I disagree. Dan Henderson had him in some serious trouble in round 1. He has a great counter to Andersons clinch with the grecco roman style wrestling. He has a monster chin and slipped up last time.
prozacnation1978
2/3/09 7:54:24PM
each fight is legit

i do think that okami should be fighting silva and

machida should fight evans first
i won't doubt if machida now faces a rich franklin or even jon jones match now

thoes guys are most underated in the ufc

PABLOMAFIOSO
2/3/09 7:56:13PM

Posted by haggiswashere

I was confused what to pick because I don't think Jardine deserves it but I think Jackson does...just when its his turn. Machida needs a shot too. He beat everybody they have ever put in front of him and I think the only reason he hadn't got it sooner was because of marketability because he was considered a boring fighter and he proved me and all the others who accused him of never finishing fights wrong so I think he should get it.

I think if Jardine pulls off the upset (not happening IMO) he will face Machida to determine the #1 contender. I see Rampage demolishing Jardine and getting his shot. Machida is in line for a title shot vs Rampage.
tepid55
2/3/09 8:17:23PM
I think Forrest Griffin should be granted an automatic rematch since he's the former champion.
copcopps
2/3/09 8:30:06PM
Machida, I'm sorry but one win doesn't mean you have a title shot in a stacked division like LHW. Especially if you're a former champion
MMACombat
2/3/09 10:03:34PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Forrest Griffin should be granted an automatic rematch since he's the former champion.

I hope not.

Griffin is an entertaining and solid fighter who helped the growth of the sport with his fight against Bonnar, but a fighter with his record should never have been near the title in a division as packed as the UFC's LHW division. I understand submitting Mauricio Rua was huge as he was coming in as the number 1 LHW in the world in a lot of peoples eyes, but other than that I can't see anything to warrant him being in the picture. I'd also expect him to fight for his rematch, similar to Liddell and Rampage for example.
Shoo
2/3/09 10:49:57PM
I really don't think that the UFC wants to see Evans and Machida fight for the belt. Both of their stand up games are based on movement and counter punching/patience, which could lead to a very disappointing fight.

Even though Machida has done more than enough to earn it, I fully expect Jackson to get the nod if he defeats Jardine. Following that I believe the UFC has no choice but to give a shot to Machida.

Bottomline: Machida/Jackson for the title would probably be a good fight...Machida/Evans not so good.
Drudinh
2/4/09 1:46:30AM

Posted by copcopps

Machida, I'm sorry but one win doesn't mean you have a title shot in a stacked division like LHW. Especially if you're a former champion

But it means a title shot with one win and a loss if your name is Brock Lesnar

as far as the post goes above to (the UFC has no choice but to give a shot to Machida) I think Dana and his zuffa troopers will always do what they want with their organization with only themselves in the highest intrest (profit) , and they are damn good at manipulation so it seems another way.
Hendo67
2/4/09 2:47:48PM
Machida is the number one contender at 205, in my opinion. He's knocked off 3/4 big named guys. He's been told several times about his title shot, yet hasn't gotten it.

I disagee with the Leites/Silva fight, what has Leites done to deserve a shot? He beat Nate Marquard because he was deducted a point, yet it still went to a split...So we really know who would have won that one..
I don't consider Drew McFederis a top fighter, and that's his biggest win next to Marquardt...so yeah, i don't think it makes a whole lot of sense.

bls1919
2/4/09 6:47:35PM
I will be sincerley pissed if Machida doesn't get a fight with Rashad. Both could go very soon as neither took much damage in their last fight. Page needs to woory about getting past the awkward stance/strikes and brutal leg kicks of Jardine's before he even thinks about a title fight.
mikevolz
2/5/09 12:14:24AM
i want machida to fight for the title, and i think hes deserving of it,

but...

jackson lost a razor thin decision, and destroyed wanderlei silva. i think he should of had the title shot.

if dan henderson (more possibly when) beats bisping, that will put him in an awkward position.
tmas
2/5/09 8:55:42AM
instead of stating the ovbious fights here which have all been known for a while why dont we disect the divisions and see who deserves the next shot after those.

Winner of Kflo/BJ LW
Diego/Sherk/Guida

WW
WInner of GSP/ALves
Jake Shields!!!! (if they can get em if not) Anthony Johnson,Marcus Davis,Fitch(agian), Koscheck, a little trouny there.

MW
Doesnt matter anderson pwns all.....Bisping, Hendo? bring it

LHW
Rashad vs Jackson ( presumbly since he next in line)
then Machida, Jardine, and Forrest all have a case for a shot.

HW
WInner Brock/MIr
Kongo/Carwin
tmas
2/5/09 8:57:17AM
btw Kimbo is a legit HW not LHW at least last i checked.....although he would prolly be sick at LHW
tlangley
2/5/09 9:32:33PM
Not winner of Jackson-Jardine... just Jackson.

He would already be fighting Rashad next if Rashad didn't want wore time off, Rampage told Dana he didn't want to wait and wanted another fight...

after that, then of course The Dragon is next