The Unpopular Opinion: Why Sean Sherk Will Beat B.J. Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Unpopular Opinion: Why Sean Sherk Will Beat B.J. Penn
SmileR
5/20/08 10:28:52PM
I realize the headline has some of you worked up into a frenzy, but just give me a chance to explain. B.J. Penn is a wonderfully gifted fighter. Let’s start there. In fact, let’s go further. B.J. Penn is a truly great fighter, easily one of the best lightweights in the world. Most of the other guys in the lightweight top ten would stand little chance against him, and the same goes for a few of the guys in the welterweight top ten.

I don’t think Sean Sherk is objectively a better fighter than B.J. Penn. I do, however, think that Sean Sherk can beat B.J. Penn on Saturday night, and I’d like to explain why.

Styles make fights. It’s a cliché, but it’s true. So much in MMA is dependent on how one man’s style matches up against another’s, and Sherk is a bad match for Penn.

Link
holt8081
5/20/08 10:31:16PM
I just dont see it.
SmileR
5/20/08 10:32:43PM

Posted by holt8081

I just dont see it.

Hahaha man their is absolutely no way you read that article that fast!!!
Mchubb316
5/20/08 10:34:34PM
Hard to argue against that. Facts are facts. BJ has shown to be in better shape recentley, and seems to be extra motivated for this fight. I think we will see a BJ Penn that no one has seen before. He will be in better shape, more focused, and have that killer instinct to finish Sherk. I can't wait until Saturday, I hope it is a good fight and we can move past the steroid issue that surrounds Sherk.
Aaronno9
5/20/08 10:34:59PM
Hmm, see, when i watched b.j vs hughes, i never saw b.j dominated once. First time i saw hughes outclassed and then subbed, second time i saw hughes getting out classed again till b.j gassed.

"You can give him a pass for having a broken rib or bad cardio in those fights, but the blame for both of those problems rests with Penn."

How the hell can you blame penn becouse his rib got broken?!?

Seriously though, penn has shown that he can handle strong wrestlers like hughes. I mean, hughes is just kinda just a bigger version of sherk so i dont no why people think he'll beable to control b.j when hughes couldnt.

Penns flexibility/natural ability > sherks strength

imo.
aaa9erh8er
5/20/08 11:56:21PM
sherk will win
89vision
5/20/08 11:58:54PM

Posted by SmileR

I realize the headline has some of you worked up into a frenzy, but just give me a chance to explain. B.J. Penn is a wonderfully gifted fighter. Let’s start there. In fact, let’s go further. B.J. Penn is a truly great fighter, easily one of the best lightweights in the world. Most of the other guys in the lightweight top ten would stand little chance against him, and the same goes for a few of the guys in the welterweight top ten.

I don’t think Sean Sherk is objectively a better fighter than B.J. Penn. I do, however, think that Sean Sherk can beat B.J. Penn on Saturday night, and I’d like to explain why.

Styles make fights. It’s a cliché, but it’s true. So much in MMA is dependent on how one man’s style matches up against another’s, and Sherk is a bad match for Penn.

Link

do you seriously need to made another sherk or arlovski thread? cmon now we know you like them
bullettdodger
5/21/08 12:02:35AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by SmileR

Link

do you seriously need to made another sherk or arlovski thread? cmon now we know you like them

Hey buddy, relax guy...
89vision
5/21/08 12:07:51AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Hey buddy, relax guy...

hey guy, im not your buddy fwend
cmill21
5/21/08 12:13:13AM
I don't think you can Lay n Pray BJ for 5 rounds without getting caught in some sort of sub. Sherks not going to finish BJ, he's not going to stand and hell he might not even be able to get him on his back so I think this is a baaad match up for Sherk.
SmileR
5/21/08 12:49:56AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by bullettdodger

Hey buddy, relax guy...

Nope but, I never made it either I just posted it. Its news I think is interesting. Check out the main page I post a lot of news. An I haven't made a Arlovski thread in ages.
If you don't like it don't click on it. Its not that hard.

89vision
5/21/08 1:15:24AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by 89vision

Posted by bullettdodger

Hey buddy, relax guy...

Nope but, I never made it either I just posted it. Its news I think is interesting. Check out the main page I post a lot of news. An I haven't made a Arlovski thread in ages.

actually i was talking to that guy in that last post, it was in a recent south park episode, im not you fwend guy, well guy im not your fwend buddy
bullettdodger
5/21/08 1:22:43AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by SmileR

Posted by 89vision

Posted by bullettdodger

Hey buddy, relax guy...

actually i was talking to that guy in that last post, it was in a recent south park episode, im not you fwend guy, well guy im not your fwend buddy

Hes not your Buddy, GUY!
SmileR
5/21/08 1:27:06AM

Posted by 89vision

My bad, sorry man.
seanfu
5/21/08 7:34:09AM
BJ Penn wins decision 3 to 2. Wins first 2 with boxing and sprawl. Wins third by out working from bottom and winning while standing. Loses last two rounds to lay and pray.

Quote that.
IriShame
5/21/08 1:24:03PM
Unless somewhere along the way Sherk gets submitted.
rycanto
5/21/08 5:50:01PM
I think this is a pretty good break down. I will be rooting for BJ in this fight and I believe he will win but I still see what CagePotato is talking about. Its all a matter of who's style will prevail and Sherk's crazy wrestling could dominate BJ. I see it like this: Penn has to get a sub or a ko/tko in the first two rounds or he will lose by decision.
chickmagnet
5/21/08 6:04:20PM
Im sick of this Pro-Sherk talk. BJ said it loud and clear, "What will Sean Sherk do when he gets on his back? Whats happens then when Im elbowing him in his face?"

Sherk is not expecting BJ to get him down and that is very possible. BJ's wrestling is phenomenal! If he drops Sherk, Sherk better be very careful and get the f*** out from underneath because if he does get put on his back by BJ he better hope and pray for his life!

WAR PENN!!!!!!!!
tdietel01
5/21/08 7:25:46PM
maybe the question should be, what will b.j. do when sherk takes him down and has the gas to throw elbows for 5 rounds? i hope sherk just does a lesnar (when i say this i dont mean getting caught! lol) and hulk hammer and elbows penn. if he is blocking shot the whole time he cant really be getting a sub right?!?!
jomatty
5/21/08 7:43:44PM
he might not be getting a sub while blocking a shot but he will be hopping around on one leg and blasting away the entire time. sherk is going to pay dearly for every take down and have to expend a tremendous amount of energy and take a ton of punishment for each and every take down. if he gets him down bj will tie him up and take very little punishment imo...
tdietel01
5/21/08 7:52:34PM

Posted by jomatty

he might not be getting a sub while blocking a shot but he will be hopping around on one leg and blasting away the entire time. sherk is going to pay dearly for every take down and have to expend a tremendous amount of energy and take a ton of punishment for each and every take down. if he gets him down bj will tie him up and take very little punishment imo...

good point. but when sherk gets him down penn is gonna use an enormous amount of energy keeping him tied up. i guess this fight might come down to conditioning after all
JimiMak
5/21/08 9:24:14PM
the funny thing is the argument is the opposite of true. BJ handles wrestlers like Sean like he eats breakfast. Sherk shows trouble w/ JJ, striking, and aggressive wrestling agains him.

This is a bad matchup for Sean, it's BJ's ideal.
scobac
5/22/08 12:24:29PM
Bj may out class sherk with technique but he will not out work him. There is no basis for that but speculation, sherk on the other hand has proven himself to be a constant and DEPENDABLE work horse. Im saying sherk will win, but I wont give Bj to much credit untill he FINALLY earns it.
JimiMak
5/22/08 9:14:19PM

Posted by scobac

Bj may out class sherk with technique but he will not out work him. There is no basis for that but speculation, sherk on the other hand has proven himself to be a constant and DEPENDABLE work horse. Im saying sherk will win, but I wont give Bj to much credit untill he FINALLY earns it.

Finally? Look at his record.
skinnator
5/23/08 9:44:18PM
I hope your right. I am one of the only ones who tinks Sherk will win between my friends.

By the way

GO JARDINE
JimiMak
5/25/08 12:42:44AM
WAAAARRRRRR BJ!
NinjaCyborg
5/25/08 3:48:03PM
I think BJ stores up lightning in his fists....
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/25/08 11:31:18PM
so much for that lol