Unofficial UFC Welterweight Organizational Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Unofficial UFC Welterweight Organizational Rankings
MMAcca
2/19/09 4:59:13PM
Last week we kicked off our mock organizational rankings with a look at the lightweight division. This week, we’re turning our attention to welterweight, which may not have as much depth as 155 pounds from a sheer numbers perspective, but has more depth from a quality standpoint.

Without further ado, our highly unofficial UFC Welterweight Organizational Rankings (records in parenthesis):

LINK
postman
2/19/09 9:36:04PM
Serra 8 without that ko of GSP he isn't top 15
Twenty20Dollars
2/19/09 10:54:54PM
I wouldnt have Serra and Hughes that high up. Thats pushin it.
tmas
2/20/09 5:52:20AM
terrible rankings of Welterweight, get with me and ill give em the real rankings.
lohmann
2/20/09 6:13:47AM

Posted by tmas

terrible rankings of Welterweight, get with me and ill give em the real rankings.

While I don't agree with the rankings in terms of who is the "best fighter," although the top four are actually the top four best welterweights, these are sensible organizational rankings. Somebody like Matt Serra has much more marketability in a title fight right now, because of his TUF win and former championship reign, than fighters like Condit and Parisyan, who cannot quite generate his buzz in selling pay-per-views as headliners, yet I would pick both over him in a fight.

It would be interesting to see where Diego Sanchez fits in this picture since he's expressed an interest at fighting in both the 170 and 155 pound weight classes. (I would guess right between Matt Hughes and Matt Serra.)
tmas
2/20/09 9:08:10AM
What Diego said is he is going to LW until he gets old and the cut becomes to hard then he will go back to WW. Not fighting back and forth
Fox
2/20/09 2:33:51PM
I think rankings are alright hughes and serra are a little high and weither it was a lucky punch or not he is one of the only ppl to beat GSP like it or not still think hes a little high but overall i think its a good ranking.
NatedawgThaM
2/20/09 4:34:49PM
I don't agree with em at all IMHO.

Where's Diego? The switch is not permenant. I think he's definitely top 5. I definitely believe he could take Kos in a rematch, maybe Fitch and I think he definitely could have out worked Thiago and won that fight.

How is Serra still in there and even at #6 when Karo is #9? Karo was Top 3 in most peoples opinion until the Alves fight, his only fight since was a very razor sharp win. In Serra's last fight he was embarrassed and hasn't fought since. I totally agree with the man who said he wouldn't even be top 15 without TUF4 and the GSP win.
nickcuc547
2/20/09 5:38:57PM
hughes is a tough guy to rank, he hasn't looked impressive since he beat royce gracie but the last two guys to beat him were gsp and alves, i guess we will see when he fights serra, but that may not even prove anything because the jury is still out on him too.
Wolfenstein
2/20/09 5:43:19PM
They look pretty good to me. When someone goes to fight in another weight class I think they should immediatley be removed from their previous division--because they're no longer competing with guys in the said division.

Serra may be ranked a little high, but beating GSP has to count for something. I also might move Marcus Davis a little further up the board, at least ahead of Dustin. As you get further down any list it becomes more muddled and subjective.
prozacnation1978
2/20/09 8:19:48PM
i just love how i put my comment in here and they deleted it
tmas
2/21/09 8:42:02AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I don't agree with em at all IMHO.

Where's Diego? The switch is not permenant. I think he's definitely top 5. I definitely believe he could take Kos in a rematch, maybe Fitch and I think he definitely could have out worked Thiago and won that fight.

How is Serra still in there and even at #6 when Karo is #9? Karo was Top 3 in most peoples opinion until the Alves fight, his only fight since was a very razor sharp win. In Serra's last fight he was embarrassed and hasn't fought since. I totally agree with the man who said he wouldn't even be top 15 without TUF4 and the GSP win.

The move to LW is not "permenant". Diego is going to fight at LW until he cant make the cut, he said it may be 1 fight, 1 year, 2, years, 5 years, who knows. Therefore the move to LW is "perm" until it isnt anymore or something, but as of now he is a LW
Fox
2/21/09 11:22:25AM
I dont think these guys will rank Diego ahead of Kos and Alves just becuz people think that he shouldve beatin people that he lost to. He lost and moved down a weight class thats why hes not ranked and if he was he would be 5 at best
slapshot
2/21/09 1:44:04PM
I forget, someone remind me what happened when Fitch and Thiago Alves fought???

Really some of these ranking are silly.