Unhappy with UFC 84 lineup? (POLL to Change)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Unhappy with UFC 84 lineup? (POLL to Change)
POLL: What do you most want changed?
Wilson and Thiago to fight each other 39% (25)
Soku/Nakamura to be Main Card 20% (13)
WAR/Yoshida to be Main Card 0% (0)
Etim/Stephens to be Main Card 3% (2)
More varierty in weight classes on Main card 5% (3)
Nothing. I think its great the way it is 33% (21)
CornishMMA
3/20/08 6:22:14AM
Im just finding this card a bit weird, the overall quality cant be complained about, im just a bit miffed as to why there are 4 LHW fights on the main card, and also why guys like Silva and Gouveia are fighting UFC debutants when they are both coming off several wins!!!

MAIN EVENT FOR UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE

B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk

OFFICIAL MAIN CARD

Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva
Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz
Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes
Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic

RUMORED PRELIMS

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Terry Etim vs. Jeremy Stephens
Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry
Dong-Hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan
Shane Carwin vs. Christian Wellisch
John Koppenhaver vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
DevonFoxy
3/20/08 6:32:06AM
Imo Soko is still one of the upper LHW and deserves to be on the main card. I know this makes more pressure on him but i would really like to see his fight. I think that fight is much more profitable than Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic. The only reason i can see the Wilson fight being on there is because Wilson knocked out Lambert.Thats great and all but Soko knocked out Lil Nog and Arona so i think that beats that out.
CornishMMA
3/20/08 6:38:26AM
Well Wilson is high up the UFC ranklings now, he already had quite a few good wins and just that 29-28 loss to Jardine in his debut, he is a very good fighter and does deserve main card status but the easiest way to make it is to have him fight Silva, or even Soku

Ideally i would have that happen AND with the space created have the LW fight to open the show, it will be fast and exciting and ive gotten used to seeing that now

Cant remember the last time they have 4 fights in the same class on a UFC (except Finales of course)
xchickox
3/20/08 7:58:16AM
i think its fine the way it is silva and gouveia are both on win streaks and whereas soko and naku are coming off losses so silva and gouviea should be above them
ufcboss
3/20/08 9:34:46AM
I think what the have planned for Sokou, Is if he gets a KO, They will show it. But if he loses, They wont mention him.

I am happy with the card, WAR BJ
CornishMMA
3/20/08 10:40:53AM

Posted by xchickox

i think its fine the way it is silva and gouveia are both on win streaks and whereas soko and naku are coming off losses so silva and gouviea should be above them

LOL thats missing the point completly - if they are coming off multiple wins they should be fighting each other, or at least better ranked fighters, i know Goran is good but him and Silvas opponent are still UFC debutants and i just dont think top fighters should ever fight them, Fitch shouldnt have fought Wilson cos it doesnt help anyone, it just looks to the casual fan like he struggled with a low level noob when in fact he is very good, fighters need to be built up!

Obviously Thiago and Wilson should be on the main card (even tho Soku is ranked higher than them) but it just seems messed up the way it is

ps - ANYONE (inc the 3 so far) who has picked my joke option of change nothing OVER having Wilson and Thiago fight each other is unbelievably stupid and missing the point of the thread
prozacnation1978
3/20/08 12:33:39PM
i love the fights, but 4 light heavy fights on main card?? it might be a tad to much. i really wouldn't mind seeing yoshida vs koppenhaver. or sokou fight. but given the two cans to the ufc threw to gouveia and silva i see it being a early night and we will see at least one prelim if not several. but the big three fights are very good matches, can't wait for them. screw ufc 83 bring on 84!!!!!!!!!
CornishMMA
3/20/08 1:17:13PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i love the fights, but 4 light heavy fights on main card?? it might be a tad to much. i really wouldn't mind seeing yoshida vs koppenhaver. or sokou fight. but given the two cans to the ufc threw to gouveia and silva i see it being a early night and we will see at least one prelim if not several. but the big three fights are very good matches, can't wait for them. screw ufc 83 bring on 84!!!!!!!!!

very true dude, except they arent cans, but Thiago should beat Mendez quick and hopefulyl Wilson does the same but thats a tough fight actually

Im not questioning the quality of the other fights either, obviously the big 3 fights are great and will make it a brilliant UFC regardless, im just looking at making it better, something doesnt have to be crap to be improved yaknow!

The PERFECT SOLUTION i think everyone would be happy with is to have them fight each other and have either the LW or Soku/Naka fight as the 5th fight
JWils
3/20/08 4:09:19PM

Posted by CornishMMA

ps - ANYONE (inc the 3 so far) who has picked my joke option of change nothing OVER having Wilson and Thiago fight each other is unbelievably stupid and missing the point of the thread

I think the card is fine the way it is. Sure, it would be a great fight if Gouveia & Silva fought but I wouldn't get all worked up about it. Just relax and sit back and enjoy the fights. But I'm stupid for liking the way this card is set up so what do I know...
CornishMMA
3/20/08 4:35:14PM

Posted by JWils

I think the card is fine the way it is.

"fine" is not perfect, or even great, which it could be with small changes

Posted by JWils

Sure, it would be a great fight if Gouveia & Silva fought but I wouldn't get all worked up about it.

Yes i really must calm myself before i keel over

Once again ...........

Its good the way it is, i WILL enjoy watching the fights as they are, but i would enjoy them MORE with these small changes, is that hard to understand or something???
NatedawgThaM
3/20/08 4:41:20PM
Thiago vs Wilson!!!

Both should be getting better opponents, not worse! MAKE THEM FIGHT EACH OTHER! Both are grappler wizards who can hold there own on the feet. Thiago should be koing Wilson, a decent opponent, not another no namer from Europe!
wolfman
3/20/08 4:59:25PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Thiago vs Wilson!!!

Both should be getting better opponents, not worse! MAKE THEM FIGHT EACH OTHER! Both are grappler wizards who can hold there own on the feet. Thiago should be koing Wilson, a decent opponent, not another no namer from Europe!

I agree that Thiago and Wilson should fight each other.

Just to be a smartass, but that first no namer from Europe gave Thiago a run for his money.
JWils
3/20/08 5:04:31PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Its good the way it is, i WILL enjoy watching the fights as they are, but i would enjoy them MORE with these small changes, is that hard to understand or something???

I guess you're just misunderstood, my man.... I just didn't like the "unbelievably stupid" comment.

Again, I like the card the way it is. 84 looks like the best card so far this year, IMO. I'm sure Wilson & Thiago will fight soon enough.
CornishMMA
3/20/08 5:09:29PM

Posted by JWils

Posted by CornishMMA

I guess you're just misunderstood, my man.... I just didn't like the "unbelievably stupid" comment.

Again, I like the card the way it is. 84 looks like the best card so far this year, IMO. I'm sure Wilson & Thiago will fight soon enough.

Mate its like you dont even know what you want You said it would be good (just like everyone else!) so surely you would change it to that if you could. The POLL asks what you most want changed, are you really saying you want it as it is instead of Wilson VS Thiago given the straight up option?

Yes, i like it the way it is as well, but i could like it more!
JWils
3/20/08 5:21:05PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Mate its like you dont even know what you want You said it would be good (just like everyone else!) so surely you would change it to that if you could. The POLL asks what you most want changed, are you really saying you want it as it is instead of Wilson VS Thiago given the straight up option?

Yes, i like it the way it is as well, but i could like it more!

I'm sorry I didn't answer your poll question the way you wanted me to. I will try to do better next time.

Either way is fine with me. The top 3 fights on the card are good enough to make me content with watching two contenders fight UFC newcomers. Hey, I might like one of the new guys. I like seeing new fighters. So, I voted to keep it the way it is.

I'm finished with this discussion.

pmeout
3/20/08 9:34:16PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Im just finding this card a bit weird, the overall quality cant be complained about, im just a bit miffed as to why there are 4 LHW fights on the main card, and also why guys like Silva and Gouveia are fighting UFC debutants when they are both coming off several wins!!!

MAIN EVENT FOR UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE

B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk

OFFICIAL MAIN CARD

Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva
Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz
Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes
Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic

RUMORED PRELIMS

Kazuhiro Nakamura vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Terry Etim vs. Jeremy Stephens
Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry
Dong-Hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan
Shane Carwin vs. Christian Wellisch
John Koppenhaver vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida

Why be such a bitch?
CornishMMA
3/21/08 9:01:06AM
What remarkable insight! I actually have no idea what you mean by that?

Posted by JWils

I'm sorry I didn't answer your poll question the way you wanted me to. I will try to do better next time.

Why dont i ask you what you are eating for breakfast and you tell me what you are going to have for dinner then?

Posted by JWils

I'm finished with this discussion

Tho i do agree the new guys could come good and give very competative fights i just think it would be better sorting out the contenders a bit more as the division is a bit messy with that

I just thought everyone would want to see a LW fight in the main card given the choice?
mrliquid
3/21/08 10:10:29AM
I also think its a very shitty card when there is 10 or 11 fights at an event and people are only excited about watching 2 or 3 of them due to good fighters beeing put up against unknowns or debut fighters or one sided matchups than theres something wrong especially since ppvs are 60 dollars to order and I dont even want to get into prices of good tickets.
xchickox
3/21/08 10:29:53AM

Posted by mrliquid

I also think its a very shitty card when there is 10 or 11 fights at an event and people are only excited about watching 2 or 3 of them due to good fighters beeing put up against unknowns or debut fighters or one sided matchups than theres something wrong especially since ppvs are 60 dollars to order and I dont even want to get into prices of good tickets.

is it just me who's excited about every fight in the ufc, i just love seeing people fighting whether it be against a newcomer or top fighter, its fun to watch
mrliquid
3/21/08 10:38:22AM
Oh I agree I love watching mma fights aswell but when your holding a big event ppv that people shell out 60 dollars to watch a couple hours of fighting you expect them to put on a nice show with some good main card fights.
Mayhem13
3/21/08 11:29:57AM
I would switch the Gouevia fight to undercard and put the Soko fight on the main card if I had a choice...

and also set the Yoshida vs Wardaddy fight as Swing bout
mrliquid
3/21/08 11:56:43AM

Posted by Mayhem13

I would switch the Gouevia fight to undercard and put the Soko fight on the main card if I had a choice...

Gouevia is on a 4 fight win streak and Soko lost his UFC debut I would say Wilson deserves to be on a main card more than Soku just cause fighters had success outside the UFC doesnt mean they should get put ahead of guys who have had almost a straight win streak since they signed with the UFC.
Mayhem13
3/21/08 12:00:16PM

Posted by mrliquid

Posted by Mayhem13

Gouevia is on a 4 fight win streak and Soko lost his UFC debut I would say Wilson deserves to be on a main card more than Soku just cause fighters had success outside the UFC doesnt mean they should get put ahead of guys who have had almost a straight win streak since they signed with the UFC.

I wasnt saying Soko deserves the spot more, I just think the matchup is a little more intriguing (to me atleast)...the whole Judo vs Judo thing...and its not as one sided as the Gouevia fight....
mrliquid
3/21/08 12:34:51PM
Yea I can understand the wanting to see a fight cause it matches up well I have just seen so many post about Soku getting put ahead of alot of fighters so its not directed exactly at you just hate to see good fighters get put aside do to talent coming from different companys.
Ordep
3/21/08 1:06:18PM
I think it's perfect the way it is (making the Thiago-Wilson fight NOT an option, I think this was the best match up for both too but it's not gonna happen so I based my poll pick in what really can be done)
NO main card for Soko
Soko is 0-2 under Zuffa-owned organizations, plus his win against Nog was a 30 sec. fight??? It's good and really impressive to KO a top guy that fast but if doesn't prove that much for you as a complete fighter (Offense, Defense able to dominate your opponent and not just get lucky against him). He showed a little more on his fight against Arona though. IMO he's just a hype and can't wait until Nakamura beats him to prove it
CornishMMA
3/21/08 4:00:06PM
I like all fights as well but do prefer 2 A class fighters fighting each other rather than fighting 2 B class fighters and thats what i see here

Ordep is right in that it wont happen but im just pointing out another case of where Joe Silva isnt doing too great, but i spose the BIG 3 fights are so competative it may be nice to see Wilson and Thiago win and finish (tho they may not!)
CornishMMA
5/24/08 4:19:19PM
So now we are right at the event i STILL THINK it would be better with Wilson fighting Thiago and us having Soku VS Naka on there as well, but that makes me a "bitch" according to the retard poster at the top of page 2 there

Like i said before its a great lineup but id prefer those changes, bit odd to have 4 LHW fights on a main card, but then the most preferred prelim is also a LHW fight would like WAR Yoshida as well, hope we get some early finishes so prelims are shown, we always get 1 or 2 but 3 would be nice eh
Kastro
5/24/08 4:42:16PM
I think its great the way it is.. cant wait