most undeserving guys to get UFC title shots

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » most undeserving guys to get UFC title shots
Next Page »
cowcatcher
7/8/08 12:56:53PM
with all of the chatter about cote not deserving the next title shot, im wondering who you think is the least deserving guy to get a title shot in the ufc.
a couple of names that come to mind are tiger white, who got a shot at chuck despite coming off 3 losses and a draw in his previous 4 fights including 2 straight losses, and matt serra, and i dont think i need to explain this one. any other contenders?
Rush
7/8/08 1:27:36PM
Some people might argue Randy's shot at Tim, coming after two losses to Chuck and a win over van Arsedale.

Joe Riggs and his shot against Hughes. His only win in the UFC prior to that was one over Lytle
DCRage
7/8/08 1:30:46PM
Travis Lutter.
komodo20
7/8/08 3:14:41PM
matt serra and gsp first fight serra was a huge underdog
EON
7/8/08 3:37:28PM
UFC

Randy Couture (UFC 39, UFC 43 and UFC 68)
Travis Lutter (UFC 67)
Carlos Newton (UFC 31)
Joe Riggs (UFC 56)
Matt Serra (UFC 69)
Murilo Bustamante (UFC 35)
Kenny Florian (UFC 64)
Tito Ortiz (UFC 25)
Kevin Randleman (UFC 23)
copcopps
7/8/08 3:57:54PM
BJ Penn's when he fought Stevenson
Travis "The Serial Eater" Lutter
Cote
Serra
7/8/08 3:59:40PM
B.J. Penn, he beat Jens pulver and gets a title shot after comning off of back to back losses.
jimmypockets
7/8/08 4:01:28PM
Jeremy Horn when he fought Liddell
casey64
7/8/08 4:41:54PM
Joe Riggs
warglory
7/8/08 7:10:14PM
Patrick Cote when he fought Tito. This was Cote's first UFC fight, and only the 6th pro fight of his career!
jiujitsufreak74
7/8/08 7:31:34PM
Andre Pederneira (UFC 21) - 2nd career fight, 1st fight in the UFC. his only fight was a win over Rumina Sato but come on, his second fight of his career was for a UFC belt

John Lober (UFC Brazil) - he was winless in his last 6 fights leading up to his shot, he never had fought in the UFC before and he was 3-5-2 when he fought Shamrock for the title. i think he is the most undeserved of all time.
bobbydoomocculta
7/9/08 1:23:00AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Andre Pederneira (UFC 21) - 2nd career fight, 1st fight in the UFC. his only fight was a win over Rumina Sato but come on, his second fight of his career was for a UFC belt

John Lober (UFC Brazil) - he was winless in his last 6 fights leading up to his shot, he never had fought in the UFC before and he was 3-5-2 when he fought Shamrock for the title. i think he is the most undeserved of all time.

I might be mistaken... But didn't Lober Have a previous win over shamrock??
Not saying he was the most deserving at that time for a title shot... But I think that was more for shamrock's sake than lober's... Unless I've totally F*cked up and am thinking of a different fighter...
RNC
7/9/08 2:34:36AM

Posted by warglory

Patrick Cote when he fought Tito. This was Cote's first UFC fight, and only the 6th pro fight of his career!

They needed a replacement for Guy Mezgar.
Pookie
7/9/08 2:54:18AM
Stevenson when he fought BJ
jiujitsufreak74
7/9/08 3:23:43AM

Posted by bobbydoomocculta

I might be mistaken... But didn't Lober Have a previous win over shamrock??
Not saying he was the most deserving at that time for a title shot... But I think that was more for shamrock's sake than lober's... Unless I've totally F*cked up and am thinking of a different fighter...

you are 100% right, but the shot itself was undeserved. Lober went 0-5-1 after he defeated Shamrock the first time, which makes it undeserved imo.
EON
7/9/08 3:56:35AM

Posted by warglory

Tito didnt have the belt at UFC 50..................lol
mrsmiley
7/9/08 9:12:34AM
Steve Jennum.

Sure it wasn't for "A" title,but it was for the tournement win,and he didn't have to do a whole lot to get it.
bobbydoomocculta
7/9/08 7:22:50PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Steve Jennum.

Sure it wasn't for "A" title,but it was for the tournement win,and he didn't have to do a whole lot to get it.

Yeah, The Gracie's should've decided backstage instead of throwing in the towel before The fight...

On that note... Mark Coleman had a pretty cruisey run in the First pride grand prix too...
mrkennedy
7/9/08 7:30:41PM

Posted by Rush

Some people might argue Randy's shot at Tim, coming after two losses to Chuck and a win over van Arsedale.

Joe Riggs and his shot against Hughes. His only win in the UFC prior to that was one over Lytle

hughes vs riggs was a non-title fight i think
bobbydoomocculta
7/9/08 7:36:00PM

Posted by mrkennedy

Posted by Rush

hughes vs riggs was a non-title fight i think

Only cos riggs couldn't make weight from memory...
RMFG_187
7/9/08 8:19:51PM
BJ Penn vs Hughes 2,
GSP shoulda went first, if not that BJ not at all.

Jon Fitch
Alves, Swick, Karo should've all been ahead of him.

Couture.
wasn't even in Top 10, but hey, look what happend.
ViciousFish
7/9/08 8:29:03PM
GSP did have the title shot before BJ but he got hurt so they subbed in BJ since they fought for a title shot.
telnights
7/9/08 9:06:31PM

Posted by Rush

yeah I would agree and I'm one of the people that don't think Randy deserved a tittle shot at all. Randy had retired and had 2 losses to a LHW. Then out of no where they give him a shot at the title. Now I understand why they did but come on. Now as far as Riggs he was a last second replacement for Karo Parisyan. So I can understand the reasoning more than I can Randy getting a shot.
MoJoy
7/10/08 1:37:45AM

How did the first even happen? Who was the champ and what where the announcers saying about the guy?
Bumpy
9/6/08 7:58:10PM
matt serra
Aether
9/7/08 5:23:38AM
Rofl I can't believe anyone is saying BJ didn't deserve a shot at the lightweight belt. He was coming off of losses at _welterweight_, he was still obviously the best lightweight in the world and he's clearly proven it. What other two fighters deserved to fight for the interim title more than bj and stevenson at the time?
hodge
9/7/08 9:41:34AM
BROCK LESNAR!!!!!
warglory
9/7/08 1:13:36PM

Posted by RMFG_187

BJ Penn vs Hughes 2,
GSP shoulda went first, if not that BJ not at all.

Jon Fitch
Alves, Swick, Karo should've all been ahead of him.

Couture.
wasn't even in Top 10, but hey, look what happend.

Jon Fitch? Are you kidding me? He was probably the most deserving #1 contender in the history of the sport!
palaceonballas
9/7/08 1:29:54PM
I agree with many of the people mentioned in the above posts, but really there are just sometimes when people who don't deserve the title shot, get the chance, jump on it and pull the upset.
Rush
9/7/08 1:47:22PM

Posted by palaceonballas

I agree with many of the people mentioned in the above posts, but really there are just sometimes when people who don't deserve the title shot, get the chance, jump on it and pull the upset.

Exactly.

So how does one determine whether someone deserves a title shot?

One could easily say, based on experience, records, etc. that a particular fighter would not deserve a title shot. However, if they win, doesn't that mean (in retrospect) that they did in fact deserve to be in that position? Wouldn't a requirement for hindsight kind of make the concept of whether one is "deserving" a little watered down?

I am starting to think that determining whether a fighter deserved a title shot has less to do with their absolute ranking, abilities, etc. but more about how they compare to the rest of other potential (title shot) fighters at that time.
Pages: [1] 2