Who is the Most Underrated UFC Champions in their divisions?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who is the Most Underrated UFC Champions in their divisions?
POLL: Most Underrated Division?
Heavyweight 13% (2)
Light Heavyweight 13% (2)
Middleweight 6% (1)
Welterweight 6% (1)
Lightweight 13% (2)
WEC's Bantam and Featherweight 50% (8)
TS92turbo
3/10/11 11:43:56PM
HW : Tough one to call, but I say Frank Mir, or Cain. Neither should be underestimated.

LHW : another tough one, but Forrest Griffin.

MW : Evan Tanner, I mean come on. Its not fair to say Franklin is.

WW : Matt Serra. Just know that even though GSP wasnt impressed by Matt Hughes, he isnt impressed by you either.

LW : Frankie Edgar. He really doesnt get that much credit. I still think if he fought BJ again, we would see BJ win his 2nd championship in the division. I think it will be another close fight for Edgar and Maynard.

These being said, Bantam and Featherweight is not really fair to call, unless you go to WEC's belt. For Bantam, its gotta go to Eddie Wineland. And For feather, Cole Escovedo.

Reply if you disagree or if you had another in mind. But if you think about it, there really arent alot of UFC champions.

SIDE NOTE : I saw a news feed with the headline " Frank Edgar, most underrated champion of all time? " so I wanted to know what you guys thought.
Budgellism
3/11/11 1:39:18PM

Posted by TS92turbo

HW : Tough one to call, but I say Frank Mir, or Cain. Neither should be underestimated.

LHW : another tough one, but Forrest Griffin.

MW : Evan Tanner, I mean come on. Its not fair to say Franklin is.

WW : Matt Serra. Just know that even though GSP wasnt impressed by Matt Hughes, he isnt impressed by you either.

LW : Frankie Edgar. He really doesnt get that much credit. I still think if he fought BJ again, we would see BJ win his 2nd championship in the division. I think it will be another close fight for Edgar and Maynard.

These being said, Bantam and Featherweight is not really fair to call, unless you go to WEC's belt. For Bantam, its gotta go to Eddie Wineland. And For feather, Cole Escovedo.

Reply if you disagree or if you had another in mind. But if you think about it, there really arent alot of UFC champions.

SIDE NOTE : I saw a news feed with the headline " Frank Edgar, most underrated champion of all time? " so I wanted to know what you guys thought.

I'm not sure I quite understand the topic of the post. Are you talking about picking the most underrated champions of each division throughout the history of the ufc?
TS92turbo
3/11/11 4:54:35PM
Yeah. I am trying to decide who was the most underrated fighter as a champion
FastKnockout
3/11/11 5:31:28PM
I'd say Light Heavyweight. Some people have said that Light Heavyweight is weak because the champions can't seem to defend the belt, and that's not true. That just shows how stacked the division is with talent. In Light Heavyweight, when a champion loses the title, he usually stays in the top five of the division for a year or two.

Taylor8766
3/11/11 7:18:41PM
First off you cant really say Matt Serra because he was a one trick pony he never defended and hasnt been any where close to title contention again. And Im not just saying this because Im a GSP fan, I would put Forrest in there too because he didnt defend, however hes always in title contention.

As for the most underrated champion of all time in the UFC I'd say Tanner, he was usually always counted out in his fights.

Oh, and there has actually been quite a few different UFC champs (wikipedia it)
TS92turbo
3/11/11 11:31:14PM
There arent as much champs as people think. HW i think has the most champs. maybe LHW.
kla55lazers
3/12/11 7:43:11PM
I think Frankie Edgar is super underrated... I picked him to lose in both fights against Penn and against Maynard. Granted he didn't win against Maynard either but still, he has a ton of heart and hes always improving