The Most Underrated Albums of All-Time?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Most Underrated Albums of All-Time?
Next Page »
emfleek
11/19/08 10:48:35AM
In YOUR opinion, what albums don't get the love they deserve?

MINE:
Odelay - Beck
The In Sound From Way Out - Beastie Boys
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 11:05:00AM
Big Black - Atomizer

Released on CD, with the EP "Headache" and the single "Heartbeat", as The Rich Man's Eight-Track Tape.
hippysmacker
11/19/08 11:26:45AM
Living Sacrifice- The hammering process, Reborn, Conceived in fire
Corosion of Conformity- Deliverance
Projecy 86- Songs to burn your bridges by, Drawing black lines, and the self titled
Megadeth- Rust in Peace, Peace sells but who's buying, so far so good so what
Anthrax- The sound of white noise, State of Euphoria , Among the living
POD- brown
W.A.S.P- self titled
Motorhead- ace of spades
Wrathchild America- Climbing the walls, 3D man
Junkyard-Self titled , sixes, sevens, and nine's
Demon hunter, self titled, summer of darkness, storm the gates of hell
Blindside- self titled
Norma jean- bless the martyr and kiss the child
Fasedown- self titled
Six feet deep- Struggle, The road less traveled

cowcatcher
11/19/08 11:29:53AM
pauls boutique-beastie boys i know it was a fav of critics but it rarely got any play.

ice cube-death certificate i hear people say they loved earlier and later albums after he left NWA, but i think this may be his best.

lench mob-guerillas in the mist this was an awesome record from front to back but JD going to jail and cube doing movies kind of killed the group before too many people took notice.

pixies-surfer rosa most people that have heard the pixies know songs form doolittle, but SR was a great album as well.

judgement night soundtrack after run dmc and aerosmith hooked up an album featuring groups from rap and rock was bound to happen, and this one included many of the biggest names from both genres and was excellent from end to end.
emfleek
11/19/08 11:37:39AM

Posted by cowcatcher

pauls boutique-beastie boys i know it was a fav of critics but it rarely got any play.

Agreed. Paul's Boutique and TISFWO are my 2 favorite BBoys albums.

AchillesHeel
11/19/08 11:43:03AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Demon hunter, self titled, summer of darkness, storm the gates of hell

I guess you probably know about their tour-film DVD already. I think it's out next week. (I'm not a Demon Hunter afficionado, but I get weekly newsletters about new releases).

Posted by cowcatcher

pixies-surfer rosa most people that have heard the pixies know songs form doolittle, but SR was a great album as well.

judgement night soundtrack after run dmc and aerosmith hooked up an album featuring groups from rap and rock was bound to happen, and this one included many of the biggest names from both genres and was excellent from end to end.

Some time ago I assembled a list of "50 albums that made me the man I am today" and these were both on the list. I remember walking past a record shop and seeing the promotional poster for the Judgment Night album and thinking "holy s**t!" It's not often that a film soundtrack assembles its own music (probably even less so today, marketing being what it is).
Bowen50
11/19/08 11:59:10AM
Temple of the Dog - self titled
Audioslave - self titled
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
Incubus - Morning View
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf
Robert Randolph & The Family Band - Unclassified
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 12:06:11PM

Posted by Bowen50

Temple of the Dog - self titled

Good call. I haven't listened to that in ages. I have it on cassette, but no cassette player. Heh. Maybe I'll buy the CD someday. So much music, so little time...
pv3Hpv3p
11/19/08 12:30:19PM
Midnight Vultures - Beck

'Till the Medicine Takes - Widespread Panic

Old and In the Way (self title)

I think a lot of the MTV unplugged series are under-rated too... Except for Nirvana, which almost everyone thinks is phenominal, but the SRV and Clapton ones are a couple of my favs
roadking95th
11/19/08 1:06:08PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Some time ago I assembled a list of "50 albums that made me the man I am today" and these were both on the list. I remember walking past a record shop and seeing the promotional poster for the Judgment Night album and thinking "holy s**t!" It's not often that a film soundtrack assembles its own music (probably even less so today, marketing being what it is).

That reminded me about my wedding morning. I had about three hours to kill so I put on the headphnones and went through most of my old cds. Selecting songs here and their. It was great. It was like I relived the previous 15 years of my life. A lot of those songs I hadn't heard in a long time and unfortunately haven't listened to since But those three hours will be remembered for a long long time.
emfleek
11/19/08 1:07:18PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Old and In the Way (self title)

My favorite bluegrass album of all-time. A definite gem.
MMAcca
11/19/08 1:32:03PM
The Clash - Sandinista
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf, Lullabies To Paralyze
The Mescaleros - Streetcore
Big Audio Dynamite - This Is Big Audio Dynamite
roadking95th
11/19/08 1:35:03PM
Primus - Frizzle Fry

RHCP - Mother's Milk is much like Paul's Boutique in that it gets some critic's raves but is generally under appreciated IMO. Also, Uplift MOFO Party Plan is great!

Nirvana - Incesticide

emfleek
11/19/08 1:37:45PM

Posted by roadking95th

Primus - Frizzle Fry

Primus is underrated, period.

Good call, though!

pv3Hpv3p
11/19/08 1:48:23PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by roadking95th

Primus - Frizzle Fry

Primus is underrated, period.

Good call, though!

Ahhhh.. I forgot about Primus too... Pork Soda was always one of my favorites as well...
roadking95th
11/19/08 2:15:14PM
Local H - Local H comes alive, I mean if you can make Toxic sound like an awesome rock song then you got to be good.

Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust, also Blue Sky Mining

Helmet - Meantime

I'll stop, as it seems my list is turning into albums many haven't listened too, but should, instead of the original intent of this thread
The_Metal_Maniac
11/19/08 2:23:23PM
Faith No More- Angel Dust
cowcatcher
11/19/08 2:32:26PM

Posted by roadking95th

Midnight Oil - Diesel and Dust, also Blue Sky Mining

Helmet - Meantime

I'll stop, as it seems my list is turning into albums many haven't listened too, but should, instead of the original intent of this thread

both of these are great groups and albums......not a fan of local h though
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 2:42:51PM
Warsaw - (eponymous)

Warsaw was the precursor to Joy Division, and many people just think of it as a Joy Division album (so if you're looking for it in a record store or on a website, you might find it filed under J).
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 2:50:12PM
Tricky - Maxinquaye

I suppose I would call just about everything Tricky has ever done "underrated", but Maxinquaye is the album everyone should hear first, imo.
cowcatcher
11/19/08 2:51:16PM
great call on tricky, he is really under appreciated stateside.
AchillesHeel
11/19/08 3:01:23PM
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

AchillesHeel
11/19/08 3:11:59PM
Nadja - Touched

No one I ask has ever even heard of Nadja.
Sledge23
11/19/08 5:04:55PM
Styx- Pieces of Eight
Great Music, not popular.
Jackelope
11/19/08 5:14:40PM
Note to self: Find these albums online and give 'em a listen.

Seriously, I've only recognized a few of the albums.

Also, since some people brought up Beck- What do you guys think of the Sea Change album? I thought it was incredibly deep and honest. It's an album I recommend to people often when they're going through tough times. It's depressing, sure, but I think it shows other people hurt too.
iwannabesedated
11/19/08 5:18:07PM

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Khaos
11/19/08 6:26:20PM
I can only think of 1:
Metallica - St.Anger
roadking95th
11/19/08 6:44:29PM

Posted by Jackelope

Note to self: Find these albums online and give 'em a listen.

Seriously, I've only recognized a few of the albums.

Also, since some people brought up Beck- What do you guys think of the Sea Change album? I thought it was incredibly deep and honest. It's an album I recommend to people often when they're going through tough times. It's depressing, sure, but I think it shows other people hurt too.

haha, I've been going on amazon.com to hear some snippets of these albums to see if I would like them.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/19/08 6:44:51PM
Nirvana - Bleach
Steve Vai - Flex-Able
Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar
ohiostate1016
11/19/08 11:15:43PM
Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is one of my favorite albums of all-time. Also, pretty much anything by Alan Parsons.
Pages: [1] 2