UFC 90 Undercard Predictions and Analysis

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 90 Undercard Predictions and Analysis
metaray
10/24/08 10:06:37AM
Rich Clementi Vs. Gray Maynard
Clementi is riding a 6 fight win streak (4 of those wins in the UFC) including submission finishes over Melvin Guillard and Anthony Johnson, two of the better strikers in the Lightweight division.

Maynard is coming off a big win over Frankie Edgar where he looked very impressive. Maynard is an accomplished wrestler who trains with the Xtreme Couture camp. He’s looked better each time he’s been in the octagon.

Both guys are good on the ground, Maynard using his wrestling base to control and ground and pound, Clementi looking to use his Jiu Jitsu skills to control the fight and possibly submit Maynard.

I think Maynard is going to be the stronger of the two and should be able to control Clementi on the ground. However, I don’t think his submission defense is good enough to fend off Clementi for three rounds.

While Maynard’s recent win over Edgar is impressive, I think that matchup was tailor made for him to win. Both of those guys are wrestlers primarily. Neither of them really threaten with any kind of submissions and Maynard was bigger and stronger than Edgar. It was the perfect match for Maynard.

Clementi has a ton of experience and has never been finished in any of his UFC fights. I can only see Gray winning by decision while Clementi can finish the fight on the ground which is most likely where the fight will end up giving both of their backgrounds. It wouldn’t surprise me to see a Unanimous Decision for Maynard either, but I’m going with Clementi via submission.

rest of the article here: UFC 90 Undercard

If you just care about the predictions:

Franca KO/TKO.
Horwich Sub.
Fisher KO/TKO.
Clementi Sub.
Sell Sub. (yes, Sub :P)

Some of these without the writeup and analysis seem retarded. (Maybe even with the analysis and writeup they seem retarded? :P)

Anyways, I think the undecard looks better than the main card to be honest :|
Bowen50
10/24/08 12:08:49PM
i'm almost positive that Clementi Vs. Maynard is on the main card and Leites Vs. McFedries is on the under card.

i completely agree with that they said about Maynard vs. Clementi, i am also picking CLementi by sub but i completely disagree with the Horwich pick. Miller is much better on the ground than he is.
Franklinfan47
10/24/08 12:28:24PM

Posted by Bowen50

i'm almost positive that Clementi Vs. Maynard is on the main card and Leites Vs. McFedries is on the under card.

i completely agree with that they said about Maynard vs. Clementi, i am also picking CLementi by sub but i completely disagree with the Horwich pick. Miller is much better on the ground than he is.

I agree, I think Miller will be the one who pulls out the submission. I also don't see Maynard getting subbed by clementi. I dont think No Love will be able to get into the position to go for a sub with Gray controlling him at will.

As for Sell beating Burkman by sub, I dont really see that happening either. The only time this is going to the ground is when Burkman slams him down for three rounds. Burkman UD.
Rush
10/24/08 8:59:35PM
I'm looking at there being too many decisions this event. I don't like picking more than 4 decisions an event because if it ends early, you lose points for both round and method. At least if you guess a finish you have a chance at getting the round or finish correct.
pinoymixplaya
10/24/08 11:16:52PM
I really don't understand why people are saying that Maynard's strength is going to make the fight difficult for Clementi, I would think that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Gray Maynard and Rich Clementi, but we know how that ended up right?
Franklinfan47
10/25/08 12:46:14AM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I really don't understand why people are saying that Maynard's strength is going to make the fight difficult for Clementi, I would think that Anthony Johnson is stronger than Gray Maynard and Rich Clementi, but we know how that ended up right?

strength in striking does not = strength in wrestling.
higdon10
10/25/08 1:06:29AM

Posted by Franklinfan47

strength in striking does not = strength in wrestling.

So true.