most underated submission

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » most underated submission
HMA123
3/30/08 6:24:03PM
honestly what submission do you think people dont use that much or pay attention to thats effective. one off the top of my head is the americana , idk if its me but i never really see people going for them, ive been going for them lately and there quick taps. what do you think the submission that people should be using more
ChokeUout
3/30/08 7:25:20PM
I'd say the omaplata. You see a couple half-assed attempts here and there. Once in a while someone will use it to sweep someone. But It's been a while since I've seen a fight-ending omaplata.
mrliquid
3/30/08 8:06:05PM
D'arce choke
StriderXero
3/30/08 8:57:01PM
I like the gogoplata.......cus if the gogo doesn't work, I can transition to an armbar real easily. but the downside is you need flexible legs (lucky I do)
Jackelope
3/30/08 9:04:37PM
Anaconda choke
Twenty20Dollars
3/30/08 9:26:31PM
maybe ankle locks, like the sylvia vs andrei first fight
Omega
3/30/08 11:22:12PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This and the kneebar. The others you see attempts almost everyfight but rarely the knee bar and ankle locks.
loller90278
3/31/08 12:13:27AM

Posted by Omega

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

This and the kneebar. The others you see attempts almost everyfight but rarely the knee bar and ankle locks.

agreed ^, and heel hooks. i think gamburyan might be the one to bring these back in the UFC
seanfu
3/31/08 3:54:58AM
Gogo Plata, Colon Crusher, Achilles Lock, Kneebars are outdated In my opinion.
jae_1833
3/31/08 3:14:50PM
Any lower body sub, leg, heel, ankle ect....they are tough to pull after rolling for more than a couple of minutes, and are hard to train for. Most people just use them as a threat...rarely do you see one pulled off unless in the UFC or some other top professional org.
Pookie
3/31/08 3:17:00PM

Posted by seanfu

Gogo Plata, Colon Crusher, Achilles Lock, Kneebars are outdated In my opinion.

The gogoplata is outdated?
jiujitsufreak74
3/31/08 3:34:54PM
hands down leg locks. i made a thread about it a few months ago. i personally feel hat they are really underused in MMA and when thy are used effectively they can cause some serious damage. here is a link to the thread: http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic13937-1.html
tepid55
4/1/08 1:34:51PM
I like the Triangle Bodylock.
mmadb
4/1/08 3:19:10PM
The mighty Neck Crank!
kMMAs
4/1/08 4:02:58PM

Posted by ChokeUout

I'd say the omaplata. You see a couple half-assed attempts here and there. Once in a while someone will use it to sweep someone. But It's been a while since I've seen a fight-ending omaplata.

I like omaplatas alot, but I think they are hard to actually pull off, you have to be really quick. Most of the time you can feel them coming a mile away and defend it or roll out of it.

Someone said Americana...I think That is under rated. If you got someone in mount and are raining down punches/elbows, It seems like you could maybe quickly trap the wrist and lock it up (I only train BJJ so maybe im off, but it seems like in the rustle of trying to get out of mount/block hits you could get caught)
cowcatcher
4/2/08 12:08:05AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

hands down leg locks. i made a thread about it a few months ago. i personally feel hat they are really underused in MMA and when thy are used effectively they can cause some serious damage. here is a link to the thread: http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic13937-1.html

completely agree, and just to expand on that, it was a helluva thing to pull one in pride because you had to worry about kicks from the free leg, whereas in the ufc one would think that the guys would be encouraged to try this because they wouldnt have to worry about the kicks. my theory is that they have become an "outdated"(not my opinion but hear me out) sub technique and arent taught as much now that guys like ken shamrock and josh barnett are getting older and dont have 10 guys that they train fighting in bigger promotions. i guess maybe they are going to go out with the old guard although a guy like imanari(among others) seems to love them. before mma was such a multi-form game, it seems to me a lot more guys were attempting these, then again maybe i did to much drinking and smoking back then to remember clearly........