Undefeated Mendes predicts Aldo win at UFC 136, wants next crack at champ

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Undefeated Mendes predicts Aldo win at UFC 136, wants next crack at champ
Budgellism
10/8/11 9:40:16AM
Chad Mendes (11-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is excited to watch UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo defend his title against challenger Kenny Florian at Saturday night's UFC 136 event in Houston.

That said, he's not exactly happy about it.

"It's definitely a little frustrating," Mendes admitted to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at this weekend's UFC Fan Expo Houston 2011.

You see, Mendes was expected to be next in line to face Aldo. After defeating Michihiro Omigawa at this past February's UFC 126 event, Mendes was believed to be the top contender in the division.

It made sense, what with his undefeated record and 5-0 mark in Zuffa-owned promotions. Mendes and Aldo were even penciled in for a contest at this past August's UFC 133 event, but the champ couldn't be ready in time. Mendes elected to stay busy and earned a decision over Rani Yahya, but he was largely panned for the effort.

Mendes admits the criticism was frustrating but thinks much of it was largely undeserved.

"Obviously, I would love to get a finish," Mendes said. "Who wouldn't want to get a finish? To me, that's like the easiest way out. You get in there, you go through whole camp, and then you finish the guy in 30 seconds. You're done. Of course I want to get in there and make it as quick as possible, but we're facing tough guys.

LINK
Bubbles
10/8/11 4:45:38PM
Mendes should have gotten the title shot over Florian