Unconcerned with doubters, UFC 141's Jimy Hettes knows he belongs.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Unconcerned with doubters, UFC 141's Jimy Hettes knows he belongs.
Lesnar1
1/1/12 10:26:01PM
LAS VEGAS – With a lopsided unanimous-decision victory over Nam Phan at Friday's UFC 141 event, Jimy Hettes cemented his spot in the UFC's featherweight division.

But despite an undefeated record of and a string of submission wins, he knew what fans were thinking about such an unlikely main-card fighter.

"A lot of the stuff online was, 'Why does that kid with no muscle mass get to be on TV?'" Hettes told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event.

Hettes (10-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Phan (17-10 MMA, 1-3 UFC) kicked off the pay-per-view main card of UFC 141, which took place at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Garden Arena. Hettes, who opened his career with 11 consecutive submission victories, didn't get a stoppage, but he beat down Phan to the tune of lopsided 30-25, 30-25 and 30-26 scores.

LINK
Lesnar1
1/1/12 10:29:01PM
Hettes looked incredible against Phan, just non stop transitioning and attack, I love the way this guy fights, look out Jose Aldo and anyone in the FW division cause this kids a beast!
sbulldavid
1/1/12 10:39:32PM
Well I'm not going to call him a beast just yet, but he's got an amazing upside because his striking and stamina are only going to get better,and he's got some amazing MMA Judo/Greco much like that Jon Jones guy.
prophecy033
1/1/12 11:22:14PM
This dude was relentless, constantly pressuring Phan. I was super impressed with him. Sure, there are things he needs to improve (strike defense, footwork) but his grappling ability and takedowns are solid to say the least. I'm gonna enjoy watching this guy grow
State_Champ
1/1/12 11:37:09PM
Phan is not elite competition. Hettes did look skilled and his style is appealing, but let's not get carried away.

Still, I look forward to seeing Hettes progress, and I'll be excited for his next fight!
Budgellism
1/2/12 12:20:24AM

Posted by State_Champ

Phan is not elite competition. Hettes did look skilled and his style is appealing, but let's not get carried away.

Still, I look forward to seeing Hettes progress, and I'll be excited for his next fight!

He's not elite but winning a 30-25 decision over a guy like Phan is a sign of things to come. Like it was said above, he has a lot of upside. He's got a long way to go but he's very young so he has plenty of time. He's earned himself a step up as well. I wouldn't mind seeing if he can deal with a guy like Mike Brown next. Brown doesn't have a fight scheduled now that he's pulled out of his next bout. And he also said he'd be ready to go again shortly. Book it Joe Silva
tallica62
1/2/12 12:28:27AM
scrappy doo he is
DeadHead988
1/2/12 2:18:20AM
Who was honestly doubting him after that performance? I called that this kid was gonna be big right when the ufc signed him and he made me a decent amount of money to boot!
Aether
1/2/12 2:48:20AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Who was honestly doubting him after that performance? I called that this kid was gonna be big right when the ufc signed him and he made me a decent amount of money to boot!

Well, I picked him and I'll still doubt him. His striking his really bad. He has a great combination of judo and wrestling, which I think is going to be the next evolution of MMA, but anyone with good standup who can keep him at long range will probably destroy him at the moment.
tcunningham
1/2/12 2:58:53AM
he'll only get better, very exciting to see new younger and younger fighters successful in the cage
Pookie
1/2/12 3:16:38AM

Posted by Aether

Well, I picked him and I'll still doubt him. His striking his really bad. He has a great combination of judo and wrestling, which I think is going to be the next evolution of MMA, but anyone with good standup who can keep him at long range will probably destroy him at the moment.

He also has a reach advantage over most in the division. The pool of fighters who can fight on the outside with safety is slim.
hotrodttt
1/2/12 5:45:17AM
That guillotine roll he does is sick
DancingDoll
1/2/12 3:41:54PM
I picked him in this fight too although Nam Phan isn't exactly high-level competition.

There's lots of hype surrounding the 'new breed' fighters so I'm looking forward to seeing him evolve.

At his age, I'd think they'd bring him through the ranks slow and steady though rather risk a fast-track-derailment.
Aether
1/2/12 7:37:43PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Aether

He also has a reach advantage over most in the division. The pool of fighters who can fight on the outside with safety is slim.

His standup is terrible, so his reach is pretty much irrelevant against a superior striker. Reach only matters if you have the skill to utilize it. The kid is a very impressive grappler, but he is just that, a grappler.
Pookie
1/2/12 7:56:25PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Aether

His standup is terrible, so his reach is pretty much irrelevant against a superior striker. Reach only matters if you have the skill to utilize it. The kid is a very impressive grappler, but he is just that, a grappler.

He had the skill to utilize it against Phan. Relative to the division, that's better than terrible.
Aether
1/2/12 8:02:40PM
I don't think he did, they spent maybe about a minute of that fight on the feet, and he spent pretty much all of it looking really awkward and trying to tie up for a takedown and throwing really wild punches that completely missed the target.
Pookie
1/2/12 8:35:13PM
I think with the way his game comes together, his stand-up isn't a terrible weakness. There are natural advantages he has that will only improve over time, and his reach will help keep him safe against the variety of strikers in the division with smaller arms than him. To hit him you have to collapse range, and that allows him to clinch/takedown. Just like Jon Jones, and Georges St. Pierre.