Uncle Dana says no "Cruiserweight" (206-230lbs) class coming, "Strawweight" (115lbs) more likely

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Uncle Dana says no "Cruiserweight" (206-230lbs) class coming, "Strawweight" (115lbs) more likely
pmoney
7/20/12 12:00:15AM
The issue of adding more weight divisions between Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight was brought up again at the UFC 149 pre-fight press conference. A guy asked DFW about whether or not they would ever do a Cruiserweight class, suggested between 206-230lbs. DW said it wasn't likely, and if the UFC were to implement another weight class it would likely be a lighter weightclass, such as a 115lb division.

What say you folks? Good call? Bad call? Think both are necessary, or an eventuality?
grappler0000
7/20/12 12:06:13AM
If I remember correctly, it was the other guy that brought up 115...and I think Dana said "maybe". Who knows, maybe he's going soft on the women's 135 lb division...technically it's a lighter weightclass. I just thought it was strange how he chose to answer that.
pmoney
7/20/12 12:24:37AM
Yeah I thought it was an odd response as well. I know he's been against divvying up heavyweight, but as far as the lower weight classes go, I thought there was a time when he said they wouldn't do flyweight either...

I know the whole goal is to avoid turning into boxing, with a million weight classes and a dozen promotions, but I think over the years (and decades), certain divisions may have to be implemented....
infestructure
7/20/12 12:33:35AM
When they have enough fighters on the roster, an eventuality. Can't wait for all the big and fast guys who get more money from NBA and NFL to come over.
FastKnockout
7/20/12 1:17:43AM
I hate the idea. I'm fine with the divisions as they are. HW through FLW is perfect.
Twenty20Dollars
7/20/12 1:55:42AM
Don't need it.

Can grown men make 115 lbs?

Midget fighting next?
george112
7/20/12 2:01:04AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I hate the idea. I'm fine with the divisions as they are. HW through FLW is perfect.

Too many weight classes makes everything convoluted. Unless they can hold events concurrently then I don't see it happening
DrivenDavies15
7/20/12 4:01:32AM

Posted by george112

Posted by FastKnockout

Too many weight classes makes everything convoluted. Unless they can hold events concurrently then I don't see it happening

X2.

What the UFC has now is perfect, I deffs do not want to see 115 pounders go at it. Didn't even know that was a real weight class
Poor_Franklin
7/20/12 4:46:29AM
please no more
OctagonOnly_com
7/20/12 5:01:38AM
Right now there 27 in the UFC's HW division, and 32 in the LHW. There's just not enough guys to warrant a new division. It sucks for guys in that mid-range of the division, but not much can be done about it.

When you take a look at the WW, LW, and featherweight division they all got 60 guys per division so it's easier to add in those lower weight categories than a cruiserweight.

I think ideally the division will some day exist when more and more big men can turn to mma to make a good living, but for now it's not gonna happen. Probably at least 5-10 years away IMO.
Drudinh
7/20/12 7:00:41AM

Posted by infestructure

When they have enough fighters on the roster, an eventuality. Can't wait for all the big and fast guys who get more money from NBA and NFL to come over.

one day there will be
and think there is already midget fighting... some of these guys are tiny.
Kpro
7/20/12 7:29:18AM
115 is really best for the Asian MMA scene. They have full divisions of Strawweight fighters in multiple promotions. To put together a UFC caliber one here in the states doesn't seem too likely anytime soon.

I think rather than a Cruiserweight division, if some promotion would just pretend Super Heavyweights exist, there would be a lot of guys that barely make 265 and are doing permanent damage to their bodies could just fight at their real weight of around 300. Because no one really hires SHW's more than a fight at a time, these big guys are being forced to cut more than they should and it's shown by the pull-outs by multiple guys trying to cut 30-40 pounds to make Heavyweight. Can't blame them though, they can't find work as a SHW.
Boo_Radley21
7/20/12 9:16:12AM
Enough of the weight classes already. What is this boxing?
airkerma
7/20/12 2:01:08PM
I really like the idea of the cruiserweight, as so many of those hw guys are either in the 230s or are fat as hell. I think 115 is a bit too small though
crushedbacon
7/20/12 3:56:08PM
I've never understood why there isn't a 225 lb weight class. 125, 135, 145, 155...all go up in incriments of 10. 170-185...15 lb jump... 185-205... 20 lb jump. Then they decide to have a 60 lb difference between LHW and HW. Makes zero sense.

Can you imagine how exciting a 225 LB Cruiser weight division would be? Sign me up all day for the potential matchups there, I can barely generate enough interest to watch a 125 pounders fight. 115 pounders? GTFO with that.
Shawn91111
7/20/12 4:03:10PM
Now Kenny Florian can come out of retirement and get a new weight class
Budgellism
7/20/12 5:06:19PM

Posted by crushedbacon

I've never understood why there isn't a 225 lb weight class. 125, 135, 145, 155...all go up in incriments of 10. 170-185...15 lb jump... 185-205... 20 lb jump. Then they decide to have a 60 lb difference between LHW and HW. Makes zero sense.

Completely agree with this paragraph.
Aether
7/20/12 6:12:59PM
I think Cruiserweight should happen at some point, I see little point in 115 when there's already such a small 125 stable.
poppa_gump
7/21/12 2:51:26PM
I have to say no to the Straw div. Octagononly.com lists 13 Flyweights and immo that is small enough and not competitive enough so where are you going to find the best 115 fighters? I think that a cruiserweight div will work better, first you will get guys that can't cut to 205 stacking the div and more guys who cant compete with the 265ers willing to show up. So as it stands right now there are 60 guys in LHW and HW divs and start including all the guys that Dana hasn't picked up yet like Josh Barnett, Dan Cormier, Andrei Arlovski, Soa Palelei, Cole Konrad, Rafael Cavalcante, Muhammed Lawal, and Gegard Mousasi. These are all top tier guys and the list goes on. Strawweight=NO, Cruiser=YES
bjj1605
7/21/12 8:59:01PM
Please no more small weight classes.

I just can't bring myself to care enough about the really small guys. There are so many fighters in the UFC now-a-days that it's getting harder and harder to keep track of everyone. The small weight classes hurt my game because I don't pay as much attention to them.

I'm not trying to bash these guys. My coach (Jeff Curran) was 145lbs fighter, then a 135lbs fighter, and is now dropping to 125lbs. These guys deserve a chance to fight and I'm glad that the UFC is giving it to them. Obviously some people really enjoy the speed and energy these guys bring.

I just don't personally enjoy watching them as much as the larger weight classes.