Unable to unify belts, UFC interim champ Barao says McDonald fight 'makes sense'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Unable to unify belts, UFC interim champ Barao says McDonald fight 'makes sense'
BuffaloDave
12/4/12 8:17:54PM
UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao had a single goal in mind, but in a flash, that was all taken away.

After winning the interim belt at July's UFC 149 event, Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) had hoped to book a fight with division champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in an effort to unify the two belts.

Now that Cruz is back on the shelf, Barao said he's happy to take on any of the bantamweight division's top contenders, including the name that seems to be mentioned the most: Michael McDonald (15-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

"I was OK with the news because a lot of people were already speculating that I wasn't going to face Cruz," Barao told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) through a translator. "I wasn't that focused on him. I'll be prepared for whoever they put against me."

LINK
DrivenDavies15
12/4/12 8:32:17PM
Yes it most certainly does, make it happen Dana!
Bubbles
12/4/12 10:32:18PM
from Ariel's twitter:

As just reported on @UFCTonight, @danawhite told me Barao vs. McDonald is 100% going down in '13 for the interim 135-pound belt. Date TBD.

tweet here
thevoodooninja
12/4/12 10:42:01PM

Posted by Bubbles

from Ariel's twitter:

As just reported on @UFCTonight, @danawhite told me Barao vs. McDonald is 100% going down in '13 for the interim 135-pound belt. Date TBD.

tweet here

pulling for McDonald on this one
BuffaloDave
12/4/12 10:44:11PM
UFC on Fox 7 would be a good way to showcase these two, to casual fans.
tcunningham
12/5/12 12:12:57AM
i would definitely pick barao to win but i do think it will be pretty close. ive been really impressed with McD in his last few fights, i think he deserves this shot as much as anybody
airkerma
12/5/12 9:16:16AM
I think it was Brimage or Easton who were tweeting that Barao can't babysit the belt. I agree completely and am glad Barao seems ready to step up and spike some fools on they hades
Hendo67
12/5/12 12:40:38PM
Love this matchup, huge Barao fan.