The Ultimate Parley?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » The Ultimate Parley?
NatedawgThaM
4/4/08 5:16:59PM
I've had some crappy luck this year with money, but I've been doing better with picks. Complete opposite from last season since I was better at wagering then picking but what you think about this parley?

I got $430, $215 on this Parley. The parley...

Matt Serra over GSP
Charles McCarthey over Mike Bisping
Damien Maia over Ed Herman
Kalib Starnes over Nate Quarry
(ALL UNDERDOGS! Probably for a reason)

If I hit it I win: $60,591(To the mods, would this be the biggest earning ever?)

You might think I'm crazy but I don't have much money so I'm just going to say screw it and risk it all this time around. I think Serra has every advantage on GSP except size and wrestling. He stopped him last time from the feet so I think he has that mental advantage on the feet. So as long as GSP don't LNP, I think he has this. Chainsaw, he was right that Bisping is very average. He's not a good wrestler, decent IMO. Good stand up but not great. I think the boys down at ATT will lead him to victory! Herman 4 of 5 losses were subs and Maia is a grappling machine! Quarry looked horrible against Sell. I think he has a suspect chin since he looked very bad against Sell on the feet except in the 3rd but Starnes is a pretty good fighter and I think he will come in holding nothing back!

Thoughts?
LightsOut33093
4/4/08 5:38:01PM
Just for future reference...it is spelt "parlay" not "parley"

and no, its a bad parlay because serra, mccarthy, and starnes are all gunna lose

and no, people have gotten over $100,000 in earnings on one event before, might've been even more
DCRage
4/4/08 6:56:19PM
The biggest wager earnings for one event so far in the primary league is $66,322.
LightsOut33093
4/4/08 7:18:36PM
in the secondary league, it was over $100,000
Pookie
4/4/08 7:36:24PM
starnes is either going to win the UD or get caught late in the fight.

Quarry is doo-doo, and shouldnt be in the UFC at this point in his career.
billycarnage
4/4/08 7:39:27PM
I think you'll make some money.
I personally like Starnes over Quarry and Serra has just as good a chance as he did the first time but if you get one right you'll be alright.
Pookie
4/4/08 7:41:03PM
oh and I agree Bisping is average at everything, but Mccarthy is mediocre in alot of respects.
LightsOut33093
4/4/08 8:13:16PM

Posted by Pookie

what makes you say quarry is doo-doo?
Pookie
4/4/08 8:30:22PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by Pookie

what makes you say quarry is doo-doo?

Quarry getting manhandled against Pete Sell for the entire fight except the very end where he caught sell (but who hasnt)

His most impressive victory was over shonie carter, and he looked better than then he does now...

Starnes on the other hand has defeated Leben and Jason Macdonald.

he has the more impressive resume, looks sharper, and has more potential for improvement.

The only thing going against him is possibly a lack of heart, and Quarry getting lucky.

juanez13
4/4/08 8:58:54PM
if you are taking all these underdogs, i'd say throw Lutter in there, IMO i think he has a much better chance of winning , and is still a pretty big underdog, i would replace it with serra, but if you are confident in that pick i take macarthy out....Maia and starnes do have a bigger chance at winning, personally i have maia in my parlay too, also have stout, cain, and macdonald. put 500 to win almost 5k, not bad for me, its a risky one too but it wont hurt me much if i loose, im sure if i loose i'll get around the same i've got right now,.
npayant
4/5/08 1:02:52AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

and no, its a bad parlay because serra, mccarthy, and starnes are all gunna lose

and no, people have gotten over $100,000 in earnings on one event before, might've been even more

Just for future reference... it is spelled "Spelled" not "spelt"
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/5/08 8:48:58AM

Posted by npayant

Posted by LightsOut33093

actually, both "Spelled" and "Spelt" are correct in that sentence
LightsOut33093
4/5/08 9:53:28AM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by npayant

Posted by LightsOut33093

Yeah, but nice try though npayant.
npayant
4/5/08 10:42:18AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by npayant

Posted by LightsOut33093

Yeah, but nice try though npayant.

Sorry...I guess I'm just not used to people spelling it that way in mainstream America because it is old British English (but technically it is correct).

Spelt is an ancient type of wheat first and foremost. (It is also chiefly the British past tense of spell). If you're British, I guess I forgive you!
CornishMMA
4/5/08 11:16:28AM
I love these forum spell checking people, they are so

But regarding the ultimate parlay, i was THIS - - close to getting one, check out my failed parlay, if i was more greedy i would have had Neer or Alves instead of Kurt, still as it was it would have been $4200 from a $45 wager
npayant
4/5/08 11:19:07AM

Posted by CornishMMA

That was my whole point in the first place... there was no need to correct the TS because he spelled "parlay" wrong...

I was just kidding around with Lightsout anyway...
LightsOut33093
4/5/08 12:16:02PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by CornishMMA

That was my whole point in the first place... there was no need to correct the TS because he spelled "parlay" wrong...

I was just telling him so he knows how its spelt. Dont want him to write 'parley' everytime he is talking about 'parlay'. Sorry if i annoyed anyone.
jiujitsufreak74
4/5/08 12:37:49PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by npayant

Posted by CornishMMA

I was just telling him so he knows how its spelt. Dont want him to write 'parley' everytime he is talking about 'parlay'. Sorry if i annoyed anyone.

well it annoyed me. i don't know how i am going to go through the rest o my day without making fun of you and pointing out what an anal retentive a-hole you are because you hate people who spell incorrectly.

now that i am done with sarcasm...i would just like to point out that according to my spell checker "spelt" is not even a word but whatever.

as for the Ultimate parlay i would replace Serra with Lutter as well because i feel that Lutter has a better chance of winning then Serra. i have to tell you something though...the phrase "high risk high reward" usually end up with the high risk proving fruitless. there is less then 0% imo for this to happen. you know what, in addition to winning all of that money, if you do this parlay and win i will make my avatar devoted to your greatness.
NatedawgThaM
4/5/08 5:41:36PM
IMO Serra has a better chance to beat GSP then Lutter to beat Franklin. Franklin trains with Jorge Gurgel who is a great grappler so I think his submission defense is good enough. He's better in every other area of fighting then Lutter. In 25 fights he's never been submitted. I think he will either control Lutter against the cage for 3 rounds for a decision or get top position on the ground for a stoppage.

For Serra, IMO I have convinced myself he has the advantage in every area except wrestling and size. He has better BJJ and having already stopped GSP from the feet, I don't think GSP will even try to stand with Serra unless he Floyd Mayweather's it and jabs and runs away. I can only see GSP LNPing and winning and I can't see him LNPing in his hometown. I don't think GSP will stop or submit him.
LightsOut33093
4/5/08 8:38:13PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74
now that i am done with sarcasm...i would just like to point out that according to my spell checker "spelt" is not even a word but whatever.

spelt is definetly a word...just looked at the dictionary and dictionary.com (not a spell checker, whatever that is)...spelt and spelled can be used interchangeably
jiujitsufreak74
4/5/08 11:47:41PM

Posted by LightsOut33093

spelt is definetly a word...just looked at the dictionary and dictionary.com (not a spell checker, whatever that is)...spelt and spelled can be used interchangeably

well i figured it was a word but it is not used in common American English anymore

btw spell checker is what my computer uses to correct the spelling of my posts. because of spell checker i can see what words i spelled work. like for instnace it says you spelled definitely wrong. and as i mentioned it says "spelt" is not a word. i also looked it up and it is a word i just thought i would mention it.

Now...back on the Ultimate Parlay
LightsOut33093
4/6/08 12:27:19AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

well i figured it was a word but it is not used in common American English anymore

btw spell checker is what my computer uses to correct the spelling of my posts. because of spell checker i can see what words i spelled work. like for instnace it says you spelled definitely wrong. and as i mentioned it says "spelt" is not a word. i also looked it up and it is a word i just thought i would mention it.

Now...back on the Ultimate Parlay

you spelt "instance" wrong...you spelt it "instnance"...lmao...ok....i'm done with this topic
Kracker_Jap
4/6/08 1:17:53AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by npayant

Posted by CornishMMA

well it annoyed me. i don't know how i am going to go through the rest o my day without making fun of you and pointing out what an anal retentive a-hole you are because you hate people who spell incorrectly.

as for the Ultimate parlay i would replace Serra with Lutter as well because i feel that Lutter has a better chance of winning then Serra. i have to tell you something though...the phrase "high risk high reward" usually end up with the high risk proving fruitless. there is less then 0% imo for this to happen. you know what, in addition to winning all of that money, if you do this parlay and win i will make my avatar devoted to your greatness.

Ware I'm from MMA fanns dont no how to spelt any way So dare
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/8/08 4:13:48PM
I've got a parlay of Cain Vasquez, Charles McCarthy, and Travis Lutter.

I also have Starnes, Maia, and Sera winning...but not confident enough to add to the parlay.

If all win: +$58496 to bankroll
If any lose: -$640 to bankroll
CornishMMA
4/10/08 7:05:05AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I've got a parlay of Cain Vasquez, Charles McCarthy, and Travis Lutter.

I also have Starnes, Maia, and Sera winning...but not confident enough to add to the parlay.

If all win: +$58496 to bankroll
If any lose: -$640 to bankroll

Yeah and the thing is you dont even need to be that greedy with the parlays, sure it would be nice to win $50,000+ from 1 wager but all you have to do is pick 1 big underdog and then if you add 3 fairly even fights that you get right then you get a very nice reward as it is

This next UFC is a bit gash for wagers tbh, either massive faves or very even, i still havnt ever won a parlay but ive come close! LOL i must be like 0-12 with parlays now
frenchcakes_050
4/11/08 10:16:19AM
What you are saying is dumb, " what if" as in what if I win all of that money on a crazy parley. i had a parley once where if I won I would win $422,000. Guess what happened, I didn't win!
CornishMMA
4/11/08 1:11:58PM

Posted by frenchcakes_050

What you are saying is dumb, " what if" as in what if I win all of that money on a crazy parley. i had a parley once where if I won I would win $422,000. Guess what happened, I didn't win!

LOL actually youre post was dumb mate you need to check my last failed parlay! if i had put Alves or Neer in place of Kurt i would of won over $5000 from a $45 wager! or $50,000 from a $450 wager, they are clearly possible and ironically if i was MORE GREEDY i would have won that one cos i did wager heavily on those 2 bigger underdogs
DonnieDarko
4/17/08 1:43:34AM
$150 parlay probley wont win but hey it's fun trying

If all win: +$237549 to bankroll
If any lose: -$150 to bankroll
steadymobbin
4/17/08 5:53:50AM
I agree with Starnes and Maia. I think GSP actually has the advantage standing and I won't be surprised if late in the fight GSP becomes the first man to KO Serra in MMA. I think Bisping will have worked too hard to fall victim to anything McCarthy will bring. Out of all of them I see Bisping losing as the least likely.

I'm staying away from big parlays myself for awhile. I almost made a somewhat similar underdog parlay at 82 on Hazlett/Wilson/Okami/Silva but I changed my mind last minute to Leben instead of Wilson (I still lost). I never have luck rolling the dice on them and I should just stick with the picks I'm really confident in.