Could ultimate fighting overtake boxing?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Could ultimate fighting overtake boxing?
grappler0000
9/4/07 8:17:18PM
This Autumn promises to be a special one for British boxing, yet this Saturday 17,000 fight fans will flock to the O2 Arena in London Docklands to see not the sweet science, but the Ultimate Fighting Championships. It will be as big a fight night in London since the days of Frank Bruno.

Link
guccimane
9/4/07 8:45:49PM
Could it overtake boxing?? If you go by PPV revenue and demographics, it already has.
Svartorm
9/4/07 8:55:04PM
In the US? Yes.

Worldwide? No.

It might be blowing up here and in England, but boxing is king everywhere else. Boxing has simply been around too long to just go away overnight. Maybe in a decade or two MMA could be bigger worldwide, but not now.
Metafour
9/4/07 9:14:32PM
I think even on a World stage it very well can and most likely will take over Boxing.
Linye
9/4/07 9:36:45PM

Posted by Metafour

I think even on a World stage it very well can and most likely will take over Boxing.

SpiderSilva
9/4/07 9:39:05PM
MMA is well on its way
ThugAngel
9/5/07 4:52:56AM
i believe by 2010 that MMA will be bigger then boxing
JWils
9/5/07 9:31:32AM
Here's another question.....

When will the media stop calling Mixed Martial Arts, "Ultimate Fighting"?
silverbullet
9/5/07 11:04:48AM

Posted by JWils

Here's another question.....

When will the media stop calling Mixed Martial Arts, "Ultimate Fighting"?

lol thats a good question.
loonytnt
9/5/07 1:26:18PM
lol never imo but i think mma has taking over boxing the the USA aready, i talk to a lot of ppl and all i hear is ''you do cage fighting'' when i heard 2years again ''do you do boxing'' i think MMA is the new big dog in town and its going be around a long time
keith-hackney1
9/5/07 2:49:22PM

In the US? Yes.

Worldwide? No.

dude, today here in the uk there is a huge spread all over the papers and on the national radio about doctors trying to get the ufc banned, as they say the effects of this sport causes too much damage to the body and brain. When i heard that, i laughed. This media coverage on that specticle in the uk says only one thing, that this sport is finally getting big over here. Always the same, when something gets big, all the haters try close it down.
Boxing is dying and the ufc is the next best seller, 5-10 years from now, i see ufc being the biggest full contact sport, boxing will be much more less frequent on the tv, will be all ufc.
fullfighting
9/5/07 7:35:21PM
Will it take over boxing? You mean it hasn't already? It has already taken over in the US for sure.
TOMMYAYO05
9/5/07 10:49:29PM
it already has people
keith-hackney1
9/6/07 3:53:22AM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

it already has people

Ordep
9/6/07 10:07:04AM

Boxing involves a lot of $$$ and what is happening is that a lot of fights are being fixed. Judges decision are sooooo obvious some times that its a shame.

Young people are looking for excitement and thats really hard to acomplish by two fighters for 12 / 3:00 rd where ~50% of the time they're clinching and the referee will come in (Reference: see Hopkings vs. Wright) and only some of the fights are really competitive with some real punch exchanges going on ( example: most of the mexican lightweight figthers). There'e where mma is gaining ground.

It's taking over.... yes it's happening but not completely yet. Give it a couple more years so the olsd school boxing fan realize thet they're wasting their money in a "show" that used to be a "sport".

MMA will be in the 2016 olympics