Out of all the Ultimate Fighter winners, who was the 'least' succcessful

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Out of all the Ultimate Fighter winners, who was the 'least' succcessful
POLL: Least Successful TUF winner
Mac Danzig 60% (41)
James Wilks 18% (12)
Amir Sadollah 12% (8)
Kendal Grove 7% (5)
Joe Stevenson 0% (0)
Other (please leave a comment) 3% (2)
jjeans
7/24/10 7:09:01AM
As title above, in your personal opinion who do you think was the least successful winner of a TUF season after the show

Diego Sanchez 10-4
Forrest Griffin 8-4
Joe Stevenson 8-5
Rashad Evans 10-1-1
Kendal Grove 7-4
Michael Bisping 9-3
Nate Diaz 7-3
Mac Danzig 3-4
Amir Sadollah 3-2
Efrain Escudero 3-1
Ryan Bader 4-0
Ross Pearson 3-0
James Wilks 2-1
Roy Nelson 2-0
Court Mcgee 1-0
prozacnation1978
7/24/10 9:34:15AM
I would have to go with travis lutter.

But besides that. Danzig has been a huge disappointment

Best I still believe is. Rashad evans.

How will mcgee. Do?? I think he will be like sandallah and grove. Win some and lose some
Rabi
7/24/10 9:53:06AM
Its clearly Travis Lutter, failed to make weight for the title shot and then gassed in his next fight so they booted him. I dont know how Stevenson can be on the list at the top when he worked his way up to a title shot.
grappler0000
7/24/10 10:06:13AM

Posted by Rabi

Its clearly Travis Lutter, failed to make weight for the title shot and then gassed in his next fight so they booted him. I dont know how Stevenson can be on the list at the top when he worked his way up to a title shot.

I wouldn't even include the comeback winners in the conversation. Lutter's 2 fights following his season were tougher opponents than many of the other guys will face in their entire career.
SmileR
7/24/10 10:10:59AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Rabi

I wouldn't even include the comeback winners in the conversation. Lutter's 2 fights following his season were tougher opponents than many of the other guys will face in their entire career.

I was going to post the same thing.
sbulldavid
7/24/10 11:22:58AM
Danzig hasn't had much success, and he hasn't really improved since the show. Some of those other guys are still improving, or are just starting their UFC runs, and deserve more time to consider them busts.
Rush
7/24/10 12:46:11PM
I thought Lutter was a good choice considering how soon he was let go. Think about it, he is the only winner of TUF that I can think of that has been officially let go by the organization.

Of the fighters listed above, I would say both Kendall and Amir have been the least successful. At first I thought Mac, but then I checked his opponents. I think it is not only important to look at the records, but also the fighters to whom they lost (or beat). Amir and Kendall have been both inconsistent and lost to fighters that are not necessarily considered top guys. Mac's losses have been to guys considered more established UFC fighters

Taylor8766
7/24/10 1:29:33PM
Id have to say Danzig hands down, but to be honest he really didnt impress me on the show all to much.

Also im a little dissappointed with Grove lately hes lost a couple for sure wins, and hasnt lived up to the expectation that I thopught he would have.
Twenty20Dollars
7/24/10 2:06:39PM
Mac but then we should ask who will be the first TUF winner to be cut.
jae_1833
7/24/10 3:12:25PM
If it's not allowed to pick Lutter (0-2 is horrible no matter how you slice it) then Mac Danzig would definately be my #1 as he doesn't draw any public interest and isn't even on the main card.....usually going highly untelevised. Oh, that and his wins weren't even that spectacular against fighters that were not ready for the UFC anyways. Mac is a dull fighter.
seanfu
7/24/10 4:23:49PM
Amir hands down I think. Everyone from seasons 6 and 7 were dissapointments. Danzig is one but better competition.
fizzle
7/24/10 4:28:19PM

Posted by Rush

I thought Lutter was a good choice considering how soon he was let go. Think about it, he is the only winner of TUF that I can think of that has been officially let go by the organization.

Of the fighters listed above, I would say both Kendall and Amir have been the least successful. At first I thought Mac, but then I checked his opponents. I think it is not only important to look at the records, but also the fighters to whom they lost (or beat). Amir and Kendall have been both inconsistent and lost to fighters that are not necessarily considered top guys. Mac's losses have been to guys considered more established UFC fighters

I'm not saying they should have babied Danzig but he without a doubt has had the hardest road to travel. Evans is a beast and imo the best TUF'er by far.
jjeans
7/24/10 4:53:00PM
Lutter 0-2?

I didnt put the Season 4 fighters for a reason, because they were already UFC former or current fighters, Lutter is technically 2-4
lohmann
7/24/10 5:14:17PM
Danzig.

The best fighter to come out of TUF 6 is George Sotiropoulos, and if he had been able to not get flash KO'd by Tommy Speer, this question might be a little more difficult.
jae_1833
7/24/10 5:33:37PM

Posted by jjeans

Lutter 0-2?

I didnt put the Season 4 fighters for a reason, because they were already UFC former or current fighters, Lutter is technically 2-4

I get this, I was referring to his second run in the UFC and not counting his TUF bouts. Either way, not making weight and getting owned by every fighter that he faced in the UFC who was well rounded is bad. Eastman and Cote are primarily strikers with a decent sprawl, but certainly not well rounded.
jjeans
7/24/10 6:13:27PM

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by jjeans

Lutter 0-2?

I get this, I was referring to his second run in the UFC and not counting his TUF bouts. Either way, not making weight and getting owned by every fighter that he faced in the UFC who was well rounded is bad. Eastman and Cote are primarily strikers with a decent sprawl, but certainly not well rounded.

Yeah i get you, sorry for calling you out on that. Pretty bad fighter, either way, got demolished by Silva
jae_1833
7/24/10 10:14:20PM
By all means bro call me out, when we're wrong we're wrong....not a big deal.
tn_rebel
7/24/10 10:25:56PM
travis lutter gave anderson silva the closest fight hes had in the ufc therefore its not him i dont care what his record is
prozacnation1978
7/25/10 12:31:34PM
Too bad mac is doing badly. I would have liked to see a danzig vs sotouropolous fight
ace_of_god
7/26/10 12:28:12PM
really an interesting thing to look at is the lack of success of runner ups on TUF

Kenny Florian 14-3 UFC
Stephane Bonnar 6-6 UFC
Luke Cummo 3-4 UFC (CUT)
Brad Imes 0-3 UFC (CUT)
Ed Herman 4-5 UFC
Josh Haynes 0-3 UFC (CUT)
Manvel Gamburyan 2-3 UFC (Fights WEC 3-0 135Ibs)
Tommy Spear 0-2 UFC (CUT)
CB Dollaway 4-2 UFC
Vinicius Magalhaes 0-2 UFC (CUT)
Phillipe Nover 0-3 UFC (CUT)
Andre Winner 2-1 UFC
DeMarques Johnson 2-1 UFC
Brendan Schaub 2-1 UFC
Kris McCray 0-1 UFC (Finale only)

it is espeically surprising given the success of a lot of the guys that did not fit into the finale but 7/15 2nd place finishers are no longer in the UFC.
Jackelope
7/26/10 12:43:10PM

Posted by ace_of_god

Phillipe Nover 0-3 UFC (CUT)

I almost forgot about "The next Anderson Silva"
Wand_is_GOD
7/26/10 2:13:09PM
I say Danzig for some reason i do not like this guy
Rush
7/27/10 1:46:13AM
While we're on the topic of stats, I did a little number crunching and came up with these data

Of the first 10 seasons of TUF

All the seasons still have 4 fighters currently employed by the UFC, with the exception of season one (8), season six and seven (3) and season 10 (5).

Either one or both of the season winners are currently employed. Note some seasons there were only one winner

40% of the seasons have had all runner ups cut, 40% have a single runner up currently fighting and 20% (seasons 1 and 4) still have both runner ups employed. Again note that some seasons had only a single runner up.

Only a few fighters from the total list that are currently employed have been cut and then reinstated.

All in all I think the UFC is doing a good job at keeping the better fighters and cutting the excess fat (~75% of the fighters per season). Season one is the aberrant one with still having 50% of it's fighters left, though I feel that there are a few fighters that should be cut from that list

raw data below
season-cut-kept-total-winners*-runnerups*

1 8 8 16 2 2
2 16 4 20 2 0
3 12 4 16 2 1
4 12 4 16 1 2
5 12 4 16 1 0
6 13 3 16 1 0
7 13 3 17 1 1
8 12 4 16 2 0
9 12 4 16 1 1
10 11 5 16 1 1

*still employed by UFC
deezyo
7/28/10 12:11:34AM
danzig
ace_of_god
7/28/10 9:01:14AM
with the return of Harris season 7 has 5 fighters in the UFC (Amir, Dollaway, Credeur, Riddle and Harris)
the_01
7/29/10 6:52:24AM
Nice poll, and my answer is Danzig
emfleek
7/29/10 9:21:03AM

Posted by the_01

Nice poll, and THE answer is Danzig

Fixed.

I personally don't see how it can be argued. It's Danzig.
cowcatcher
7/29/10 1:47:47PM

Posted by emfleek

I personally don't see how it can be argued. It's Danzig.

i think that one could argue amir due to the injuries that have caused long layoffs and the fact that hes only 3-2, granted thats a winning record unlike danzigs 3-4 mark. i was more or less playing devils advocate there though and my choice would be danzig.
copcopps
7/29/10 3:10:31PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Rabi

I was going to post the same thing.

Yeah the season 4 people weren't TUF made, they where already established

picked Sadollah, not because he sucks but because I think it might be too alte for him to develop a decent career in the UFC without looking like a journeyman