The Ultimate Fighter 6 : Team Hughes vs Team Serra

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Ultimate Fighter 6 : Team Hughes vs Team Serra
« Previous Page | Next Page »
BerndRealBad
11/1/07 2:22:37PM
Figures I miss a fight I want to see on the only episode I've missed thus far. Stupid flexible work schedules. I'm always up for seeing Matt Hughes blame his fighters rather than his piss poor coaching for all of his team's losses.
TNunley
11/1/07 4:28:44PM
I like how Matt Serra made the comment about J-Rock's confidence issues... I think he is probably one hell of a guy to train with, and he probably talks a big game... but from what I saw in the octagon I think he's very cautious about being in there. I thought he was supposed to have a really good ground game... he didn't even try for a shot. Then for him to throw the hissy fit in the locker room (BTW, how funny was it when Bowman was looking out of the corner of his eyes?) just goes to show that it's all about a show... IMO I think he'd probably rather talk about fighting or train to fight than actually fight.
Sam_Rothstein
11/2/07 3:00:39PM
j-rock looked pretty bad in the octagon but I would have to say his matt serra impersonation was probably one of the funniest things ive seen all season

"YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
"YOUR PICKING HIM APART GEORGE!!!!!"

that would probably have to be one of the most annoying things to hear when fighting one of matt serra's fighters lol
Stickan
11/8/07 7:23:28AM
What did you guys think of the last episode?
I didn't think the fight was that great but the heart shown by both fighters was amazing!
I'm looking forward to the next episode and to see Serra pick match-ups.
scoozna
11/8/07 10:29:07AM

Posted by Stickan

What did you guys think of the last episode?
I didn't think the fight was that great but the heart shown by both fighters was amazing!
I'm looking forward to the next episode and to see Serra pick match-ups.

All the blood reminded me of that Joe Riggs fight when his blonde hair was turning red from the gushing. Very messy. At first I couldn't believe Mazzagatti wasn't stopping the fight. Between rounds you could see it was on the nose and wasn't really getting in his eyes ( I think!). It must suck, being on the bottom, and having this fountain of blood in your face from Speers.

It was a weird fight, from a spectators stand point - It looked like John had the RNC in, then out, then in again, but wasn't able to get the sub. When John got mounted, he had nothing. I was really surprised he couldn't get Speers to move hardly at all (or maybe, he panicked?). Between rounds you could here John say "He's really strong." I think Johns JJ wasn't as good as he thought it was.

In the end Speers stayed active while on top, even while gassing. So he earned it.

scoozna
11/8/07 11:01:37AM
Anyone have an idea as to the "surprise" Dana gives Serra when it comes to picking matches next week?
Sam_Rothstein
11/8/07 12:01:55PM

Posted by scoozna

Anyone have an idea as to the "surprise" Dana gives Serra when it comes to picking matches next week?

I think it would be funny if matt serra had to give up a few members to team hughes

Yeah im not sure what is gonna happen but im glad that tommy won his fight last night, he seems like hes a pretty cool guy.

I feel really bad for War Machine, it seems like he has some big problems and i could understand that if you saw your dad die in front of you at age 13

I hope he gets some help in the mental department because I believe he has a lot of talent. You could tell something that happened that long ago still has effected him pretty badly.
jiujitsufreak74
11/8/07 2:52:47PM
just to answer the question of where the cut was, it was on his left forehead between his eyes so the blood just ran down his nose. when that choke was applied, all the gushing blood was pretty sweet, and i am glad that mazagatti saw that tommy was still able to defense the choke and that he could continue. what heart shown by tommy, i mean i know he pretty much LnP for a while, but it took a lot of heart to fight off that choke, which was in pretty tight at one point, with all the blodd leaving his skull.

As for the match, not the most technical one we've seen (by a mile ), but tommy's brute strength may very well be enough to defeat some of the remaining fighters.
scoozna
11/8/07 4:08:24PM
The rest of the season could get really interesting if Mac and Tommy start shredding Serra's guys. Certainly, I don't want that to happen!!!! But there's no questioning Mac having a lot more experience.
cmill21
11/8/07 4:16:32PM
I just hope dana doesn't let serra put mac against tommy.
Sam_Rothstein
11/8/07 5:31:58PM

Posted by cmill21

I just hope dana doesn't let serra put mac against tommy.

yes i agree especially not in the semi finals, maybe in the quarter finals if they are both around
Stickan
11/8/07 6:51:33PM
I just watched Mach Sakurai vs Mac Danzig again the other day. That fight was at 163 and Sakurai dwarfed Mac so bad. His legkicks elevated Mac's entire body off the floor.
Sure Mac has gained weight and all but he's a natural 155er (he's even talked about moving down to 145) and after the show I'm sure he moves down in weight. The 170ers are really too big for him.
cmill21
11/8/07 7:03:54PM

Posted by Stickan

I just watched Mach Sakurai vs Mac Danzig again the other day. That fight was at 163 and Sakurai dwarfed Mac so bad. His legkicks elevated Mac's entire body off the floor.
Sure Mac has gained weight and all but he's a natural 155er (he's even talked about moving down to 145) and after the show I'm sure he moves down in weight. The 170ers are really too big for him.

Yeah but no one on that show has half the talent of him.
DevonFoxy
11/8/07 7:09:43PM
I would guess the surprise is Serra has to send guys over to the other team just to train. I mean i dont know about you guys but i wouldnt want to train with a guy that i would be fighting in the coming days. I would guess Dana would learn from last year when team pulver had guys fighting each other and training at the same time.

That would be too weird for me and im sure the guys feel the same way so i wouldnt be shocked at all if the "big suprise" was that.
Stickan
11/8/07 10:28:32PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Stickan

Yeah but no one on that show has half the talent of him.

Yeah sorry, I meant the WW division in general. Not just in this season of TUF.
madmarck
11/9/07 7:04:16AM
anyone else think war machine could have won the first round???
I remember watching the fight and thinking. OK its gona half a round and Speer hasnt thrown one punch all he has done is got hit, cut, and put in multiple sub attempts no offence whatsoever, this could be a 10-8 round if this keeps up. He did reverse shortly after, but i mean he lost the first half of the round. and in the 2nd half of it he didnt land anyhting on war machine. Even when he threw a multitude of punches from mount none hit there mark.

The 2nd round was all speers not gonna argue that. But couldnt Jon have been givin round 1?
Stickan
11/9/07 9:50:39AM

Posted by madmarck

I remember watching the fight and thinking. OK its gona half a round and Speer hasnt thrown one punch all he has done is got hit, cut, and put in multiple sub attempts no offence whatsoever, this could be a 10-8 round if this keeps up. He did reverse shortly after, but i mean he lost the first half of the round. and in the 2nd half of it he didnt land anyhting on war machine. Even when he threw a multitude of punches from mount none hit there mark.

The 2nd round was all speers not gonna argue that. But couldnt Jon have been givin round 1?

I see what you mean but Speer landed tons of punches and elbows on Jon. That can't be denied. Jon wasn't stumbling all over the mat wobbly after the bell rang because of nothing.
I thought JonĀ“s state when the bell rang gave Speer that round.
fedorwins1
11/9/07 9:57:47AM
War Machine was a big let down. His BJJ was not that great at all. Oh well I thought he was a best, but I guess not.
MattHughesFan
11/9/07 4:39:28PM
If u watch the fight at exactly 2:35 Speer started to turn it around and gain control so for more then half the round Speer was in control. However time of control isn't everything. When War machine was on the offensive he landed on hard shot and basicly went for the choke for half the round while throwing in a few pot shots where as in Speer's half he was constantly looking to improve his position and he was constantly throwing strikes. That's what i think won him the first round over War machine.
GTS
11/10/07 4:16:04PM
i agree jon was a big let down. it looks like he was constantly doing his own thing instead of listening to serra. he should of finished him within that first round but i guess his energy was drained when he kept tryna choke him out. cant wait till next wednesday to see what happends. it looks like somewhere down the line either its jon and jared get into a fight.
hippysmacker
11/11/07 3:17:27AM

Posted by madmarck

Not only did Speer do more damage he actaully landed a lot. Other than that one big punch, War machine didn't land much, and was ineffective with the choke. Speers was really active once he got on top. I think that's why he got the first as well.
CornishMMA
11/13/07 11:37:52AM
It was a rough round to score, almost exactly sharing the time in dominating positions, depends on whether you think Wars 1 shot that cut him is more relevant in the damage factor than Speers 2.30 of GnP? and how you rate a submission attempt that was very close, could of been a 10-10 round without much dispute but i can kinda see why it went to Speer

I will LMAO if Serra gets to have Hughes 2 fighters fight each other
TNunley
11/15/07 11:31:36AM
Did anyone else really want Danzig to lose last night?? I know I did...
scoozna
11/15/07 9:12:29PM
He keeps surprising me - he seems to be a total jerk - then I read his blog and he clarifies what they edited out and what he really thinks and seems like a really decent guy. Like what he said about Bowman talking to him and he really considered what he said - then he turned his attitude from constant negativity to being more positive. I don't know how much was slick editing, but in the end he seemed like he turned it around.

I still wanted him to lose though...just based on personalities alone, I think John is cool.
CornishMMA
11/16/07 5:18:51AM
Mac is a good example of where i completly ignore the fact that the guy seems t have a bit of twatty personality becuase i enjoy watching him fight cos he is a very accomplished and exciting fighter

It NEEDS to be - Mac Danzig VS George Sotoropoperrluopperupoulous - in the finals for the best possible, i think they are clearly the best 2 and hopefully they will make the brackets to fit that possibility

on a sidenote i seriously hope they start announcing fights for the FINALE NOW!!! its just under 3 weeks away and we need picking and wagering time to decide on the fights, obviously a few wil need to be left till very late but im hoping the prelims etc will be revealed very very soon
Stickan
11/16/07 4:14:10PM
Who do you think will be in the semis?

Danzig - Kolosci - Danzig through
Arroyo - Troy
George - Hightower
Speer - Saunders

I think Arroyo, George and Saunders will join Mac in the semis and unless they put George and Mac against each other, I think those two guys will fight in the finale.
cmill21
11/16/07 5:53:00PM
I think tommy will make it through, he's verrry stong and does work while on the top. I think Mac and george will be in the final, and i'm putting my money on Mac.
StorminYourman
11/21/07 2:55:39AM

Posted by cmill21

I think tommy will make it through, he's verrry stong and does work while on the top. I think Mac and george will be in the final, and i'm putting my money on Mac.

I will put my money on George ever since the tapeing ending he has been training @ Serra's.

A good big man usualy beats a good little man.Danzig should be a 55er.
CornishMMA
11/22/07 8:29:20AM

Well those 2 fights last night went as i expected, shame so many TUF fights are so predictable, at least the last QF and the SF's will be quality

I can see Speer beating Saunders next week so they are dead even in the SF's with 2 VS 2

But HOPEFULLY they will make it so that Mac and George can get to the finals
cmill21
11/22/07 9:03:18AM

Posted by StorminYourman

Posted by cmill21

I will put my money on George ever since the tapeing ending he has been training @ Serra's.

A good big man usualy beats a good little man.Danzig should be a 55er.

I'll stand by it, especially after George's prefromance last night. He did not impress me at all against the 2nd worst fighter on the show.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7