Ultimate Fighter ‘Reunion’ show coming soon to Spike TV

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ultimate Fighter ‘Reunion’ show coming soon to Spike TV
MMAcca
8/29/08 1:08:19AM
The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) mixed martial arts reality series is often referred to as the single-most important development in the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

When the first episode debuted on Spike TV on January 18, 2005, the promotion was in dire straits. It was already about $40 million in the hole and it had essentially bankrolled a show on television to gain critical traction and exposure.

It was a huge dice roll — if the show flopped it could have spelled the eventual end of the Zuffa-owned organization. Fortunately for them, and the millions of fans now scattered across the globe, it was a smash hit thanks in large part to the sensational three-round light heavyweight final brawl between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar.

Griffin ended up with his arm raised in the end, along with Diego Sanchez, who was the middleweight winner after totally dominating Kenny Florian. In hindsight, however, more was won that night than just two fights — the entire concept won over a legion of MMA fans literally overnight.

LINK
Naturaldisaster
8/29/08 1:24:48AM
im interested to see what the show will be like
Wolfenstein
8/29/08 4:51:47AM
Hopefully this season will have better fighters. The last two season have been a real letdown in terms of talent. The only guy with any chance of being anything more than middle of the road was George Sotiropolous and CB Dolloway(even though I really dislike this guy).

Mac may have won the season but he's a gatekeeper in my opinion and Amir may have beaten CB twice (and I like the guy a lot) but he just doesn't seem athletic enough. He has proven me wrong before though, twice now!
SpiderSilva
8/29/08 9:22:59AM
Amir kind of reminds my of Forrest
ohiostate1016
8/29/08 9:46:48AM
Now here is an Ultimate Fighter show that I definitely will watch. I admit that the actual show has gotten a bit stale for me, but I still remember back fondly to that first season (it's the only season that I own on DVD as well). It wasn't as well put together as it is now, but I swear that you can see the sparks between Chuck Liddell and Willa Ford if you go back and watch the show on DVD. That's how great it is.
emfleek
8/29/08 10:10:58AM
Unless they all fight each other in a tournament, this really doesn't sound too interesting to me.
Boo_Radley21
8/29/08 10:11:24AM
This is gonna be pretty interesting to watch, I'm looking forward to it.
wolfman
8/29/08 11:22:42AM

Posted by emfleek

Unless they all fight each other in a tournament, this really doesn't sound too interesting to me.

I agree, seems kind of pointless and just reminds me of the stupid reunion shows they have on MTV (The Real Word, Tila Tequila, etc...). I won't be watching.
Kracker_Jap
8/29/08 11:34:54AM
Pointless.... Yes

But won't be watching.... NO

I'm a real deal MMA Dork (Thats what my wife says) and if its free and on TV it will be recorded on my DVR...
emfleek
8/29/08 11:40:01AM

Posted by wolfman

I agree, seems kind of pointless and just reminds me of the stupid reunion shows they have on MTV (The Real Word, Tila Tequila, etc...). I won't be watching.

Exactly. And I absolutely abhor that crap.
Darnok
8/29/08 11:45:09AM
Most likely half of the show will revolve arround Forrest and how he climbed out of season 1 to be the MAN.

I doubt I will watch it either.
dust
8/29/08 12:48:31PM
It also ruined the sport for the people who actually respect MMA.
Wolfenstein
8/29/08 12:57:42PM

Posted by dust

In what way? If it weren't for TUF we might not even have the UFC right now.
emfleek
8/29/08 1:02:40PM

Posted by dust

And that's why you don't watch it anymore, right?

MMA_Alex
8/29/08 2:32:17PM

Posted by dust

I have to completely disagree. TUF really put MMA on the map. If it wasn't for TUF, we might not have had the UFC at this point (at least not in the state it's in now) and we probably wouldn't have any of the newer promotions that recently jumped on either.
MMAcca
8/29/08 11:51:13PM

Posted by dust

ChokeUout
8/30/08 8:22:50AM

Posted by dust