“The Ultimate Fighter 6? Will Include Small Rules Change

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » “The Ultimate Fighter 6? Will Include Small Rules Change
aznteabagger
8/23/07 12:09:55PM
The upcoming sixth season of Spike TV’s popular “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series debuts Sept. 19, and the show’s producers made a small change to the way fights were arranged.

LINK
DJDark41
8/23/07 12:19:24PM
I like the change, it makes it a little bit more fair.
EddieBowers
8/23/07 12:44:16PM
Sounds good to me. This way maybe there will be some good fights. The last season had some ok fights, but nothing that made me go WOW!!
DMcCabe11
8/23/07 2:05:41PM
that will definetly make the show more even and there will be much less of a chance of a 5-0 run while knocking out weaker guys

-NBB.....BM!
ocho-cinco
8/23/07 2:06:38PM
Thats a really good rule. Should have been done long ago.
MMAnomale
8/23/07 2:10:19PM
This will be much better. I don't much give a damn which coaches' "team" wins but I want to see good matchups and the better fighters move on....In the past, they tried to use their best fighters to pick off the weak, which is good strategy, I guess, and will still be done, but at least they'll alternate picks so that one team won't be depleted like Penn's was....
loonytnt
8/23/07 2:15:47PM
i think the new rule is ok but dont you want the weak fighters of the show anyways? get the top guys into the finals
three_days_of_grey
8/23/07 2:22:20PM
I would suggest having Flava Flav pick each weeks fights, weekly recaps by Donald Trump and the final fighter does combat against Danny Bonaducci. Winner gets to co-host MTVs Spring Break with Carson Daly and fights Hulk Hogan in a Charity Steel Cage Match of Fire with Brock Lesnar as the guest referee

Honestly, I dont see how this wil make much of a difference since its still relegated to something as arbitrary as a coin toss. The rule change will only delay the inevitable. The cream will still rise to the top. Go with a bracketing format.
If they really want to make the show better:
Remove all of the alcohol from the house.
Never show another clip of Andy Wang crying.
Show more training footage.
Install a UFC veteran in the house to serve as a mentor for other aspects of the sport such as professionalism/public relations, etc.

-OUT-
thepunisher
8/23/07 2:35:18PM
what are the changes i cant open the link?
Ultimate_fighter
8/23/07 2:37:09PM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Thats a really good rule. Should have been done long ago.

NME
8/23/07 2:39:14PM

Posted by thepunisher

what are the changes i cant open the link?

The teams will alternate who gets to make the matches.
1900squats
8/23/07 2:52:09PM
what are the rule changes?? where can i find it?
thank you
Rush
8/23/07 3:05:35PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Honestly, I dont see how this wil make much of a difference since its still relegated to something as arbitrary as a coin toss. The rule change will only delay the inevitable. The cream will still rise to the top. Go with a bracketing format.
If they really want to make the show better:
Remove all of the alcohol from the house.
Never show another clip of Andy Wang crying.
Show more training footage.
Install a UFC veteran in the house to serve as a mentor for other aspects of the sport such as professionalism/public relations, etc.

-OUT-

I like the new rule, but I have to respond to this.

On your first point. I think you misunderstood the rule change. How will it delay the inevitable? The teams will alternate picks each fight. The purpose of this is to prevent one team from picking off the other team's good fighters using their own beneficial match-ups. Sure it will happen in the new system, but (I think) it will be controlled so it's fair for both teams, and hopefully you wont have guys from the same team fighting each other in the semi-finals. Your statement about the cream rising to the top is not always true. You could have a good fighter on your team that is hurt or having problems making weight. That fighter would have a bigger chance of getting picked to fight under the older system and would be a little safer under the new system.

As for your other points. I totally agree with them. Unfortunately, implementing those changes would go against all that is written in the reality TV handbook (if there is such a thing)
peachfuzzz1305
8/23/07 3:38:52PM
Yeah it seems fair
grappler0000
8/23/07 4:32:06PM
I like the new rule. I'd also like to add that it will be easier on a team if it losing consecutive matches. If the other team is always picking, it means that you have to be on weight all of the time, since you don't know whether you'll be picked next or not. At least now there can be some planning for this.
patdaddy
8/23/07 5:34:19PM
i must agree also, good change. i like it..
three_days_of_grey
8/23/07 5:47:32PM
OK Rush, I do understand the rule change and concede that "delay" may have been poor wording. You get a feather in your cap.
I don't think the rule change will be that effective if there is another f*ck up with during team selections like Penn/Pulver.
What I meant by 'the cream will still rise to the top' is that even though one team had a dominant run and made successive picks, they still legitimately beat thier opponents. Mismatches should be irrelavent in this competition. Also, Emerson was given another shot and was unable to capitalize.

Like I stated in my previous post, I would prefer a bracket system and get rid of the team concept entirely. This would allow the fighters to train with both coaches and expand the skillset.