"The Ultimate Fighter 13" cast shifts to all welterweights, coaches named this week

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » "The Ultimate Fighter 13" cast shifts to all welterweights, coaches named this week
FastKnockout
1/10/11 2:24:01PM
While initially intended to feature welterweights and middleweights, the upcoming 13th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" instead now will be a welterweights-only season.

A source close to the long-running competition/reality series today confirmed the plans with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The show begins taping this month, and it debuts March 30 on Spike TV. Coaches are expected to be announced this week, a source said.

With the single weight class, "TUF 13" is expected to use the same 28-man, 32-slot tournament that has been employed in recent seasons. The initial 28 elimination-round fights, which air over the first episode or two of the show, will determine the initial cast of 14. The fighters then enter a 16-slot bracket, and two opening-round losers will get a second shot as "wild card" picks. ("TUF 11" wild-card pick Kris McCray eventually became the show's runner-up.)

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
1/10/11 2:27:25PM
Well hopefully the "Welterweights" they pick are actually 170ers and dont just drop to 155 after.

Still have no clue on who they are thinking for the coaches, but at least it wont be Sonnen.
FastKnockout
1/10/11 2:30:08PM
I think it may end up being Edgar and Maynard. Can't figure out why they would take away the Middleweights unless they want Edgar/Maynard coaching and figured the Middleweights might make too much weight difference between the team and coaches.
babalu46
1/10/11 3:12:36PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I think it may end up being Edgar and Maynard. Can't figure out why they would take away the Middleweights unless they want Edgar/Maynard coaching and figured the Middleweights might make too much weight difference between the team and coaches.

I'm not sure with this, usually they go with heavier coaches than contestants but also they like to put personalities in there at least one anyway so that the coaches fight is hyped and no offense to Maynard or Edgar but they just don't have the personalities to push fights.
emfleek
1/10/11 3:21:51PM

Posted by babalu46

Maynard or Edgar but they just don't have the personalities to push fights.

This.

If, in fact, it turns out to be Edgar and Maynard, this will be the lowest rated TUF series ever.
sbulldavid
1/10/11 3:24:28PM

Posted by FastKnockout

That would tie the belts up for an even longer period, I think that would be doubtful. Cain and JDS would work and allow JDS to get paid, and allow Cain to heal, but If that don't happen either. I think Wandy against Stann, is also a prime candidate since Stann beat Leben and called out Wandy. Right now I would lean towards JDS/Cain. I think Cain brings his own huge following and his injury could be squeezed into the story line. It is after all is said and done a soap opera for guys.
FastKnockout
1/10/11 4:34:47PM

Posted by babalu46

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm not sure with this, usually they go with heavier coaches than contestants but also they like to put personalities in there at least one anyway so that the coaches fight is hyped and no offense to Maynard or Edgar but they just don't have the personalities to push fights.

I'm not sure with this, usually they go with heavier coaches than contestants

They've done it before. It's possible. Season 2 with Franklin and Hughes coached Welterweights and Heavyweights, and season 10 had Rampage and Rashad coaching Heavyweights. It wouldn't be anything new.

but also they like to put personalities in there at least one anyway so that the coaches fight is hyped and no offense to Maynard or Edgar but they just don't have the personalities to push fights.

A storyline could push the season just as much as personalities. After the recent Edgar/Maynard fight the mainstream forums blew up about them, and most fans wanted an immediate rematch between the two. A storyline was born after that fight. Maynard is the only fighter to beat the champion, and their rematch ended in a draw. The third fight will decide it once and for all.

You say the season wouldn't be entertaining, but wasn't that said about the rematch as well? Now look, we already have a candidate for Fight Of The Year. We don't know much about Edgar and Maynard, but a whole season could change that. We don't know until it happens. For all we know it could turn out to be the most entertaining season yet. Besides, I actually think Edgar has some personality in him. He's been the underdog almost his whole life, yet he has the confidence as if he's a Heavyweight champion. I think a season with them will change the current view fans have on them both. Not to mention all the buzz currently hanging over the Lightweight division. The division hasn't been this exciting in years. For as long as I can remember, it's been Penn at the top of the division with his reign of terror on the rest of the fighters, now that's changed and no one knows who the next champion will be, because the division has just gotten that good. We don't know what will happen next.

As for the belt being tied up, I don't think that's a problem. Most of the solid contenders have matches lined up already, and Pettis already stated that he wants to fight again instead of just waiting for the rematch. I don't think the wait will be an issue as long as they are the coaches.
babalu46
1/10/11 5:11:10PM
In fairness Fast Knockout i didn't say it wouldn't be an entertaining series that mainly depends on the contestants for me.

But you do make good points on the hype around the division and a rematch between the two. Again no disrespect to the two fighters thats what i think it is hype around their fight not them. I would expect the UFC to strike while the iron's hot with this bout plus to keep this great division ticking over quickly with all the potential title fights.

I mean if certain fighters win their next fights like Soitoropoulas and Miller they deserve title fights, hell they deserve title fights now, and lets not forget that if Pettis wins he is next in line so i just don't see why they would shelf the title personally.
FastKnockout
1/10/11 5:47:36PM

Posted by babalu46

In fairness Fast Knockout i didn't say it wouldn't be an entertaining series that mainly depends on the contestants for me.

But you do make good points on the hype around the division and a rematch between the two. Again no disrespect to the two fighters thats what i think it is hype around their fight not them. I would expect the UFC to strike while the iron's hot with this bout plus to keep this great division ticking over quickly with all the potential title fights.

I mean if certain fighters win their next fights like Soitoropoulas and Miller they deserve title fights, hell they deserve title fights now, and lets not forget that if Pettis wins he is next in line so i just don't see why they would shelf the title personally.

Yeah, sorry about that.

It doesn't really matter who the coaches are to me. I don't think the UFC can go wrong with anyone they choose. All divisions are packed with promising coaches.
Pookie
1/10/11 8:29:17PM
Shields & Georges?

Im curious
jae_1833
1/10/11 11:24:03PM
I think GSP has done his part for now, and a lot of guys are too junior or have a language barrier.....I am thinking it could be a couple of LHWs.....maybe Chuck could get in there and earn some cash while not tying up a belt....or maybe it could be a couple of real coaches for once.....anything to change it up a bit.
AchillesHeel
1/11/11 9:47:35AM
I really want Zuffa to stop using current champs to coach TUF. We don't need more delays between title fights.