The Ultimate Fighter 7's weight class and coaches..?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Ultimate Fighter 7's weight class and coaches..?
POLL: What should be TUF 7's weight class?
Heavyweight 23% (7)
Light-Heayweight 3% (1)
Middleweight 71% (22)
Welterweight 0% (0)
Lightweight 0% (0)
(other) 3% (1)
AchillesHeel
8/22/07 11:06:29AM
I had a nutty idea for the 7th edition of "The Ultimate Fighter", which has been tentatively announced for April.

With the recent flurry of activity in the Heavyweight and Light-Heavyweight divisions, I think the Middleweight division needs more talent. Really, it needs it at all levels, not just at the "3rd tier", which is where most TUF guys start out.

So here's my crazy idea: The coaches should be Matt Lindland and Denis Kang, who battle each other in the show's finale, the winner receiving a title shot at RichSilvaAndersonFranklin.

Okay, it'll never happen, but a guy can dream, can't he?

So which weight class do you think deserves a fresh harvest of newbs next Spring?

juanez13
8/22/07 11:19:24AM
i think middle weights for sure, that division is lacking of talent...

but i am pretty sure that matt lindland and denis kang wouldnt be the coaches, matt doesnt have a good relationship with the ufc and i'll doubt it if he ever comes back, and about denis kang there are rumors that he is gonna sing with Heroes.......

so the possiblities are these.....if rich franklin beats anderson silva
( almost impossible), than they will be the coaches, and fight for a third time for the title.................if anderson wins than the coaches could be
Evan tanner and Nate marquardt maybe???? and think these would be the coaches, or if dave terrell makes his comeback he could be a coach too, dave terrell and evan tanner for the rematch.......
Gladiator
8/22/07 11:19:27AM
gotta be middle-weight. its the weakest division and, for once, i believe someone from TUF could be a serious belt contender, especially if they put denis kang or paulo filho on the show. i like the new format of having just one weight class for each season. makes it seem more like a real tournament, it always bothered me that they could be in the semi-finals after just one fight.

i just noticed that u put "other" as an option on the poll. it would be sick if they had a season of featherweights and could get guys like urijah faber, mark hommonick, and kid yamamoto! i think there is definitly enough talent in that division to get it started, especially since pulver just dropped to it and that would make so easy to set up a title shot between him and the winner. the only downside to the ufc adding another division would be that there would be less fights of all the other divisions on each card too, some cards have only one middleweight bout as it is. it will most likely never happen but it would still be awesome!
StorminYourman
8/22/07 12:08:24PM
HWs please

Any combination of these coaches would do.
Fedor,Crocop,Couture
Mastodon2
8/22/07 12:49:45PM
I want to see HWs!

There has (arguably) never been a quality HW on a TUF show, apart from Rashad, but he is really a LHW. A series of big bruisers going at it has potential, but I think we are more likely to see a Middleweight tournament. Silva needs more fighters to feed on!
fullerene
8/22/07 1:00:19PM
I know people want to see more good HWs, but it's not that easy. With guys dropping to LHW from 220-230 pounds, it means that you need to find athletic guys above 230 pounds (in shape at 230) who aren't playing other professonal sports and have fight experience. Good luck. I think you'll get exactly what you saw in TUF II.

I'll go with MW too as a more realistic choice. They already missed the ratings bonanza in the choice of coaches though--imagine if it was Phil Baroni and Frank Shamrock before their fight...well, the UFC wouldn't pick those guys up but it would make for a colorful show.
cowcatcher
8/22/07 1:05:24PM
it has to be MW its just so thin in that division after the top 2 guys. coaches wouldnt be easy to come by either, you'd have to find 2 guys at MW that are experienced and good enough to be coaches and right now i dont see a ton of options on the roster. maybe guys from another weight class would be the best option, but then theyd have to be on the shelf for awhile with taping and the airing of the show and i wouldnt want the title to go undefended for as long as the WW has were it to be another weight class's champion.
AchillesHeel
8/22/07 1:09:19PM

Posted by cowcatcher

it has to be MW its just so thin in that division after the top 2 guys. coaches wouldnt be easy to come by either, you'd have to find 2 guys at MW that are experienced and good enough to be coaches and right now i dont see a ton of options on the roster.

Another guy who might make a good coach is Dan Henderson, although I didn't want to jinx him.

If he loses to Rampage, I'd love for him to return to 185. He says he wants to stay at 205, though. We'll see, I guess.

Posted by fullerene

imagine if it was Phil Baroni and Frank Shamrock before their fight...well, the UFC wouldn't pick those guys up but it would make for a colorful show.

Heh. Actually, I had thought about those guys too, then remembered they'd already fought recently.
szucconi
8/22/07 1:30:55PM
I would like to see a middleweight TUF. The div is so thin that they should use the show to bring in some new big guys (maybe Kang if he wasn't signed, maybe Lindland if he and the UFC could make nice). I think Rich Franklin should not be the coach. He is already known. They could use Paulo Filho and build a UFC v. WEC thing. Dan Henderson would be great as a coach. It would build up his return to MW, this is of course assuming that he loses to Rampage.

I predict Henderson and Franklin as coaches for TUF 7. The match following TUF will be for a title shot aginst the winner of Silva and Okami. Okami will have earned a title shot by then and Silva will still have the belt. I think Okami has the best chance to beat Silva (again) so I want see that match.

I would also like to see a featherweight TUF at some point. It would be good for the WEC and I like the featherweights. Faber and Din Thomas as coaches to build up for a rematch. That is if you can convince Thomas to cut back down to FW because he has said that he won't.
Ultimate_fighter
8/22/07 1:41:19PM
Middleweights!, come on u guys!!! Why pick HW? the fighters that are in the range of 220-235 lbs usually go down to LHW anyway...HW's division is doing better than every before... i think MW becuz the is only a small limit of talent in that division... the only guys who are gonna win the belt are tanner, franklin, silva! I hope henderson goes down to MW...
Twenty20Dollars
8/22/07 2:07:42PM
i think they might do HW and MW
bootyclause
8/23/07 1:33:23PM
super heavyweight - coaches Zulu and Giant Silva.
thepunisher
8/23/07 2:33:57PM

Posted by szucconi

I think Okami has the best chance to beat Silva (again) so I want see that match.

Yeah becuase he whooped Silva's ass the first time they fought, by gettign knocked out in Silva's guard
thepunisher
8/23/07 2:36:49PM
I want to see a celebrity TUF have a bunch of Celebs fight and train and then they get to fight a can in the UFC
NME
8/23/07 2:49:43PM
Ok, so it's the middleweight division. We have that locked down.

The coaches should be, without question:

Jason Miller and Evan Tanner.

Guest trainers would include Phil Baroni and MATT HORWICH.

And then, the series would be canceled, because really, there is no topping the greatness that would ensue.
DMcCabe11
8/23/07 3:02:19PM
i think it should be Featherweights and Middleweights so now they could bring featehrweights into the UFC and i dont have to fight at 155 anymore but seriously do it and the coaches at 145 are Urijah and Kid who fight at the end and then at 185 the coaches are FRANKLIN or hendo if he loses or i have no idea who else....maybe silva who is rapidly learning english(i hope lol i actually have no idea i just think it woudl be cool if he did so he coudl be a coach)
cowcatcher
8/23/07 4:59:00PM

Posted by NME

Ok, so it's the middleweight division. We have that locked down.

The coaches should be, without question:

Jason Miller and Evan Tanner.

Guest trainers would include Phil Baroni and MATT HORWICH.

And then, the series would be canceled, because really, there is no topping the greatness that would ensue.

im hoping tanner comes back, and TUF would be a great way to do it. horwich is a weirdo, seems like a great guy dont get me wrong, but what a weirdo. mayhem wouldnt be bad either the guy has charisma, the more i type responding to your post the more i like it.
Jackelope
8/23/07 5:39:51PM
The last guy I want training me is Phil Baroni! Haha That just makes me want to laugh!!

Now Frank Shamrock, on the other hand. He could really coach some guys.

MW For sure, though. Too bad Silva couldn't coach people because his english sucks so bad. Dan Henderson could be a good coach, though
cmill21
8/23/07 6:30:35PM
Henderson and Rich for MW coaches. If it were HW's I don't think Mirko would coach, he doesn't like being in public that much, and TUF is kind of a big show lol. I think he would be able to bring in some sweet ass assiastants though, but Randy(obvious) and Barnett if they signed him would be awsome.
Eazee_E
8/23/07 6:57:22PM
How about MW's with coaches Anderson Silva and Yushin Okami. The whole season could be in subtitles.
AmericanFighterAce
8/24/07 11:21:29AM
The Ultimate Fighter Season 7 Should be Brazil vs. USA

With Shogun and Rampage being the respected coaches for the Middleweight division and the Heavyweight division.

That would be awesome. I mean it gives the fighter something else to fight for other than a UFC contract, they are fighting for thier homelands.