Should UFC have a Super Heavyweight Division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should UFC have a Super Heavyweight Division?
Ultimate_fighter
5/8/07 8:45:12PM
I really think they should, what about u? And if they did, what new fighters would you want in this category?
Lord_Lenny
5/8/07 9:53:46PM
if they could get enough fighters that people already know i think it would be a good idea, maybe that big ass antonio silva he's 7-0 in the superHW division
mkiv9secsupra
5/8/07 10:48:12PM
yes but there arent too many exciting fighters in this weight class....there is mark hunt. and as far as name recognition goes he pretty much the only one known to the casual mma fan. oh and butterbean, sapp and zulu. i think they should bump up the cap of heavyweight to around 325 or 350lbs. i would love to see another crocop/nogueira vs sapp or maybe even GG vs sapp?
Rush
5/8/07 11:23:34PM
I up for it, but only if they can get decent fighters to fight. I think a couple of the current HW might do well in this division.
JimiMak
5/8/07 11:47:57PM
Just not a deep enuf div. Silva, Lesnar, Choi, Zulu, Sapp, Sylvia, Akebono. There's not many other interesting fighters in the entire world at that weight, and calling most of them exciting would be an overstatement, they tend to be too slow. Lesnar says he can make HW. Most of them can. And this doesn't even take into account the fact most of those guys are signed already. The only way I could see it working is if they lowered the cap. The HW div would closer in size to the rest of the divisions. Some of the 230+ guys could move up.

Personally tho, I would just rather see them drop the cap on HW all together. 205+ should be the weight, IMO.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 11:09:44AM
Mark Hunt would have to be in Super Heavyweight too..being 300lbs...

I think they should just leave Super Heavyweight in Pride
Mastodon2
5/9/07 11:57:58AM
Pride should keep the super Hws and have an exclusive Super HW division. Mark Hunt would own it. He isnt 300 lbs, I believe he is closer to 273, but he would still dominate that division.
AchillesHeel
5/9/07 12:16:47PM
To put together one decent group of them, you would need all of the current guys who can fight at that weight:

Tim Sylvia
Aleks Emelianenko
Mark Hunt
Eric Pele
Antonio Silva
Dan Christison
Butterbean
James Thompson
Ben Rothwell

That's all I can think of. Half of these guys can (and do) fight at Heavyweight, and would be giving up their size advantage. Giant Silva and Zuluzinho are sideshows. Bob Sapp, Dan Bobish, and Ricardo Morais are probably on the verge of retiring, if they haven't already done so.

There just aren't enough UFC-quality guys at that size right now.
AchillesHeel
5/9/07 12:19:10PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Pride should keep the super Hws and have an exclusive Super HW division. Mark Hunt would own it.

...which is exactly why I don't think they should do it. There would be no competition. It would be worse than the UFC's 205-lb division right now. We'd have to watch Hunt fight Aleks E over and over again. Bleh.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/9/07 12:27:05PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Pride should keep the super Hws and have an exclusive Super HW division. Mark Hunt would own it. He isnt 300 lbs, I believe he is closer to 273, but he would still dominate that division.

Mark Hunt was said to be at like 295 when he fought last against fedor
Mastodon2
5/9/07 12:38:50PM
Yeah you are right actually, he does appear to have gone up in weight again.

Id love to see it though, Hunt is one of my favourite fighters, he is a wrecking machine, Id love to see him blowing through all the competition. Whether or not it would be an exciting division I think its incredibly unfair of The Fritos to cap the HW division, as it would be terrible waste of a great fighter if we didnt get to see Hunt again.
Lay_N_Pray
5/9/07 12:53:11PM
I have always hated the idea of "Super Heavweight".

I think they could move the cap up if they wanted, but dont make a separate division. Really the only one I like that is out of weight range for the UFC is Mark Hunt.

To me when I hear Super Heavyweight, and definitely when casual fans hear that term...an image of like a sideshow/freakshow comes to mind. Find a way to get Mark Hunt in the heavweight division and leave it at that.
AchillesHeel
5/9/07 5:37:41PM
Yeah, Hunt is the only guy I'd miss if the division went away completely. If he can't make 265, he could go to BodogFight. They've already had Pele, Silva, and Aleks on their cards at super-heavyweight.
hippysmacker
5/10/07 2:15:54AM
Hunt can easily make 265, he's fought at 250 and is much better than IMO. I agree that Antonio Silva is the only other guy in that weight class ( who would have trouble making 265) that I think is really skilled as an all around MMA fighter right now
rcg916
5/10/07 3:03:11AM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

if they could get enough fighters that people already know i think it would be a good idea, maybe that big ass antonio silva he's 7-0 in the superHW division

He's not 7-0, he lost to Eric Pele

LINK

SILVA vs. PELE - (turn sound down, its all messed up)
Sheddy
5/10/07 11:24:36AM
^ That loss was a bit dubious, but a loss nonetheless...

Antonio Silva would own all.....unlees JT stepped up.
ac_gi
5/10/07 11:55:26PM
Eric Pele is a hell of a fighter. I think they should add the super heavyweight divisioin.

However,
I would much rather them add the 145 division first. There is more talent and the fights would be more fun IMO.
blkssncpt
5/11/07 10:09:58AM

Posted by ac_gi

Eric Pele is a hell of a fighter. I think they should add the super heavyweight divisioin.

However,
I would much rather them add the 145 division first. There is more talent and the fights would be more fun IMO.

Eric Pele is great fighter, and wat about ButterBean?? who doesnt like ButterBean he's got cinderblocks attached to his wrists. .

And yes a 145 would be great... some of the 155er are naturally 145
keith-hackney1
5/12/07 7:17:13AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

I really think they should, what about u? And if they did, what new fighters would you want in this category?

No, because you'd get boring gassed out fighters like sapp !!!
randyleprechaun
5/12/07 8:10:31AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

No, because you'd get boring gassed out fighters like sapp !!!

I agree. Theres only room for 1 fat bastard in the UFC!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Mayo
5/12/07 3:28:24PM

Posted by JimiMak

Personally tho, I would just rather see them drop the cap on HW all together. 205+ should be the weight, IMO.

Northrend
5/12/07 11:57:16PM
They should add 145 first then SHW. I wana see Kid Yamamoto vs Mark Hunt though. MAKE IT HAPPEN DANA. Kid by flying knee KO 4seconds in.