UFC ring (cage) entrance too ghetto???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC ring (cage) entrance too ghetto???
Next Page »
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 4:39:36PM
Who here thinks UFC ring (cage) entrance is a little too cheap???

why dont they make it in a way like Pride,or even the WWE have their entrances? where all eyes are on the fighter

i was just thinking...where is Rampage gonna do his tradmark Werewolf howl?

it wont look good lost in the crowd with that ghetto entrance....or even in the cage,it wont look good

thoughts?

JUST A RAMP GUYS...not changing the fighters personalities...(UPDATED)
gspfan31
2/2/07 4:50:27PM
because they can sell more tickets with the way they have it now
pv3Hpv3p
2/2/07 4:52:59PM
I don't mind the played down entrances...

I think producing them, or over-producing them, would actually make it seem cheaper...

One of the things I do like about Pride productions, is a general fighter introduction in the beggining.

I'd like to see UFC make the staredown more prominent, that would give Page the oportunity for the (TM) wolfhowl...
OB_Juan
2/2/07 5:02:02PM
A couple yrs ago Dana purposely got rid of all the pyro and effects because he didn't want it to resemble pro wrestling. He didn't want to have any association whatsoever w/ the WWE. He said he wanted it to look more professional like HBO boxing. Actually, at the time I think it was just a way for him to save money... IMO.
jmoooooo
2/2/07 5:04:20PM
leave it as is. pride reminds me too much of wwe. too many introductions, too much overproduction, too much glam. they're fighters, there to fight, the emphasis should be on that, not on showmanship or "sports entertainment" as vince mcmahon would put it..........

ufc's entrance/introductions/pre-fight ceremonies just seem cleaner to me.
loller90278
2/2/07 5:16:05PM

Posted by jmoooooo

leave it as is. pride reminds me too much of wwe. too many introductions, too much overproduction, too much glam. they're fighters, there to fight, the emphasis should be on that, not on showmanship or "sports entertainment" as vince mcmahon would put it..........

total disagree, i think the entrances in pride make for a better showw and gives more characters to the fighters that people can relate to

if you want the sport to seem less violent to the non-casual watchers and people who want to ban the sport, giving the fighters personalities will do it.. making them seem like brute ogres fighting to kill is not gonna workk
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 5:22:00PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by jmoooooo

total disagree, i think the entrances in pride make for a better showw and gives more characters to the fighters that people can relate to

if you want the sport to seem less violent to the non-casual watchers and people who want to ban the sport, giving the fighters personalities will do it.. making them seem like brute ogres fighting to kill is not gonna workk

i agree...it gives the fighter much more personality.....

Maybe 2 years ago it would be a smart move not to try to look like the WWE, but the sport has blown up and everyone knows this is NOT WWE in any way,so UFC dont have to prove anything anymore...people know its as real as it gets
OB_Juan
2/2/07 5:27:23PM
Maybe just make the Main events a little more special but not every fight.

Tito's entrance at UFC 40 was dope.
jmoooooo
2/2/07 5:29:19PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by jmoooooo

why try and hide what it is? making it look like WWE in order to "soften" its image takes credibility away from the fighters. Now if the fighters are naturally flashy and are representing their true selves (think shonie carter........the guy is an original whether hes fighting in the ufc in vegas on a pay per view or fighting in a small time even in quebec) then thats fine......but turning something or someone into something they arent takes away from the realness of everything. Boxing gained plenty of fans and a lot of credibility (before losing a lot of credibility) without pyro/screaming annoying chick announcers/flashy 10 minute entrances/etc.

as far as making for a better show..........im so glad i have pvr and recorded pride: real deal because i dont think i could have tolerated the insane waits between fights watching it live.....i cant remember the times, so i wont list any...but it was just this side of forever before the first fight started from the time the event started broadcasting...and then it was ages between fights.....it was very slow, the pyro/multiple introductions for fighters/overproduction added nothing for me, but it did remind me of the wwe. I believe the total time recording for real deal was around 5 hours....for about the same amount of fights the previous UFC event had, even though the UFC event was 2 hours shorter. I want to see people fighting, i want the money spent on showing me the fights (not on pyro....i still think the camera angles and image quality of UFC broadcasts are better for actually seeing the fight) and i dont need the girl from the exorcist in a blue sequin jacket taking 90 syllables and 2 minutes to say "nick diaz". It cheapens it.

of course, just my opinion.
Svartorm
2/2/07 5:29:54PM

Posted by OB_Juan

A couple yrs ago Dana purposely got rid of all the pyro and effects because he didn't want it to resemble pro wrestling. He didn't want to have any association whatsoever w/ the WWE. He said he wanted it to look more professional like HBO boxing. Actually, at the time I think it was just a way for him to save money... IMO.

Last time Mayweather fought, didn't he ride out on a chariot with armor on? I think the big entrances can be tasteful, like Fedors or James Thompsons for instance. I could see UFC wanting to avoid Gono and Sakuraba style entrances though.
cowcatcher
2/2/07 5:31:54PM
i'd hate to miss more dark matches due to entrances that shit sucks
OB_Juan
2/2/07 5:40:13PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by OB_Juan

Last time Mayweather fought, didn't he ride out on a chariot with armor on? I think the big entrances can be tasteful, like Fedors or James Thompsons for instance. I could see UFC wanting to avoid Gono and Sakuraba style entrances though.

I couldn't tell ya about Mayweather as I haven't followed boxing for 5 or 6 yrs. I get bored w/ it now compared to MMA.

I do remember Prince Nas coming out a flying carpet once.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 5:55:40PM
im not saying to change the way a fighter is naturally....i just mean the entrance space.....maybe they can put a 6 wide.......4' tall ramp leading from the back stage to the Octagon

of course i dont want UFC making fighters into something they're not......trust me...i dont want to see Matt Hughes entering the Octagon in a horse anymore than you do.....none of that bs....just a ramp is all i ask...
jmoooooo
2/2/07 6:04:55PM
i think the way its set up now it makes the fighters seem more human, less freakshow/spectacle. the whole "common man" thing appeals to a lot of fans...just another guy, in a hoodie, shorts and running shoes coming out.....not phil baroni in a super reflective sequin robe with his hands raised in victory like he has already won coming out through a veil of fake smoke, lasers, and pyro.........spectacle...

just different angles on the same thing i suppose. everyone has their views. i guess the UFC fighters just seem more accessable....from the entrance where they are within reach of everyone, to the more scaled down antics (not without exceptions) to the fighters inviting people to party with them after the fights.....makes them seem more common.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 6:12:05PM

Posted by jmoooooo

i think the way its set up now it makes the fighters seem more human, less freakshow/spectacle. the whole "common man" thing appeals to a lot of fans...just another guy, in a hoodie, shorts and running shoes coming out.....not phil baroni in a super reflective sequin robe with his hands raised in victory like he has already won coming out through a veil of fake smoke, lasers, and pyro.........spectacle...

just different angles on the same thing i suppose. everyone has their views. i guess the UFC fighters just seem more accessable....from the entrance where they are within reach of everyone, to the more scaled down antics (not without exceptions) to the fighters inviting people to party with them after the fights.....makes them seem more common.

why cant fighters come out in a ramp with a hoodie,shorts,and running shoes and with their team behind them holding the belt....or whatever?
again..im not asking for lights,smoke...fireworks..none of that bs...

just a ramp....

ohh...and the only reason Liddell Parties with fans after a win is cuz he gets paid for it clearly...sponsers paying him to show up for 20-30 mins to help their business
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 6:23:26PM

Posted by OB_Juan

Maybe just make the Main events a little more special but not every fight.

Tito's entrance at UFC 40 was dope.

on UFC 40 entrance
JoeMimic
2/2/07 6:34:41PM
I like the UFC entrances; I just wonder how they get away with using the songs they use without paying royalties or anything like that.
jmoooooo
2/2/07 6:57:19PM
you didnt say you just wanted a ramp in your first post.

they did the ramp thing for a while........(ken shamrocks return at UFC 40 with a laser show and such..)

and liddel isnt the only one......leben, griffin have both given invites....the fighters are partying after anyway........bj penn has said it as well

i just dont see the ramp by itself making much difference. a place for a fighter to make a statement in the form of a gesture or howl or whatever.....they can do that in the ring...or they could just make their statement by winning
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 7:11:32PM

Posted by jmoooooo

you didnt say you just wanted a ramp in your first post.

they did the ramp thing for a while........(ken shamrocks return at UFC 40 with a laser show and such..)

and liddel isnt the only one......leben, griffin have both given invites....the fighters are partying after anyway........bj penn has said it as well

i just dont see the ramp by itself making much difference. a place for a fighter to make a statement in the form of a gesture or howl or whatever.....they can do that in the ring...or they could just make their statement by winning

nah...a ramp is coooler

some people say they sell more tickets if they dont put a ramp,but its the same thing.....people can be a foot away from the ramp,as long as the crowd's chest reach the top of the ramp so the fighter sticks out from everyone,but still being able to high 5 fans if they want
hippysmacker
2/2/07 7:23:01PM

Posted by jmoooooo

Posted by loller90278

Posted by jmoooooo

why try and hide what it is? making it look like WWE in order to "soften" its image takes credibility away from the fighters. Now if the fighters are naturally flashy and are representing their true selves (think shonie carter........the guy is an original whether hes fighting in the ufc in vegas on a pay per view or fighting in a small time even in quebec) then thats fine......but turning something or someone into something they arent takes away from the realness of everything. Boxing gained plenty of fans and a lot of credibility (before losing a lot of credibility) without pyro/screaming annoying chick announcers/flashy 10 minute entrances/etc.

as far as making for a better show..........im so glad i have pvr and recorded pride: real deal because i dont think i could have tolerated the insane waits between fights watching it live.....i cant remember the times, so i wont list any...but it was just this side of forever before the first fight started from the time the event started broadcasting...and then it was ages between fights.....it was very slow, the pyro/multiple introductions for fighters/overproduction added nothing for me, but it did remind me of the wwe. I believe the total time recording for real deal was around 5 hours....for about the same amount of fights the previous UFC event had, even though the UFC event was 2 hours shorter. I want to see people fighting, i want the money spent on showing me the fights (not on pyro....i still think the camera angles and image quality of UFC broadcasts are better for actually seeing the fight) and i dont need the girl from the exorcist in a blue sequin jacket taking 90 syllables and 2 minutes to say "nick diaz". It cheapens it.

of course, just my opinion.

perfectly said.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 7:31:47PM
i agree with that....

but...i just want a pretty shiny ramp ....thats all
tffdwg38
2/2/07 7:51:00PM
i hate ufc entrances
roadking95th
2/2/07 9:13:55PM
I am torn on this issue. The ramp is a great idea when the fighter uses it right. I mean, I don't want to see some "dance of" by Gono. Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of you guys eat that crap up, I just don't like it. At the same time, it is great seeing the fighters down with the fans high-fiving and such. Plus, not having the ramp means more seats for fans and MORE fights to see.

Ultimately I would have to go with no ramp.

Trapt1nw0nder
2/2/07 11:05:11PM
ramp or not...i have the best avatar
jmoooooo
2/2/07 11:21:34PM
DeadguY has the best av. yours is a close second.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/3/07 12:08:33AM
DeadguY's is o right...but come on...3 pair of titties cant beat 1 gorgeous lady with that perfect background

my next avatar...will beat all
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Svartorm
2/3/07 3:27:54AM
I'd like there to only be one fight per ppv, where both fighters perform a two hour interpretive dance piece chronicling their lives from birth up until the fight.
hippysmacker
2/3/07 3:34:14AM

Posted by Svartorm

I'd like there to only be one fight per ppv, where both fighters perform a two hour interpretive dance piece chronicling their lives from birth up until the fight.

LMAO. The guy from the big lebowski could kick it off
hobo-harry
2/3/07 8:03:08PM
no my av is the best ever
DoTheMMAth
2/3/07 8:15:33PM

Posted by Svartorm

RofL, genius idea
Pages: [1] 2