Should UFC pride open a featherweight Division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should UFC pride open a featherweight Division?
hippysmacker
2/12/07 4:03:09AM
I think this would be good for the sport, especially if they both did it. Kid Yamamoto would be the prize for whoever signed him IMO. Here's my manifesto and why.

1. Adjust all weight classe to make them universal in both orgs.This would make cross-promotion more likely, and make all weight classes stronger. Pride would need to add a welterweight division, but they have plenty of guys already who would do better in this weight IMO.( Suloev, Aoki, Chonan,Lawler etc.)
145-featherweight
160-lightweight
175-welterweight
190-middleweight
205-LHYweight-( stays the same because their was a 20 lb. difference instead of 15
HVY-same

2. We have all seen how exciting the lightweight's are. Smaller fighter's generally are faster and have better stamina.

3. MMA is expanding and I think they will need all the fighter's they can get to keep up.

4, Smaller guys like KId, Hominick, Faber, Inoe and allt he rest are at a distinct disadvantage fighting guys so much taller and naturally heavier than themselves and could be wore down by LnP style fighter's .

5. If the UFC truly wants to go to weekly fight's they need more fighter's.

gspfan31
2/12/07 4:16:37AM
i some what agree with you but i think they should add 170 and just tell gomi to cut to 155
hippysmacker
2/12/07 4:17:42AM
That would be good also. At least Pride would have another weight class, and some of thier fighter's wouldn't be undersized at their weight anymore.
aceprone
2/12/07 4:19:14AM
And having more weights classes closer to eachother can allow more fighters to jump between weight classes, making for more exciting fights, and deepening the weight divisions.
gspfan31
2/12/07 4:19:54AM

Posted by hippysmacker

That would be good also. At least Pride would have another weight class, and some of thier fighter's wouldn't be undersized at their weight anymore.

and then we could also make some fair comparisons between fighters in the ufc and pride since they would be fighting at the same weight
hippysmacker
2/12/07 4:26:48AM

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

and then we could also make some fair comparisons between fighters in the ufc and pride since they would be fighting at the same weight

Exactamundo. I think it would also help Pride's chances in the US.
gspfan31
2/12/07 4:32:46AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

i think pride will most likely fail in the us anyways, but i hope that doesn't happen. they really don't have any casual fans like the ufc. look at the real deal show, the only times there were boos was when the nsac was introduced
Trapt1nw0nder
2/12/07 4:50:10AM
if it were up to me i would love Featherweight..even Flyweight those little guys are animals!
hippysmacker
2/12/07 5:12:23AM

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by gspfan31

Posted by hippysmacker

i think pride will most likely fail in the us anyways, but i hope that doesn't happen. they really don't have any casual fans like the ufc. look at the real deal show, the only times there were boos was when the nsac was introduced

That was also their first US show , where the overwhelming majority were diehards IMO. We should have a better read how they are doing after their 3rd or 4th PPV. Since they only did 50,000 PPV buys on the real deal, they have a long way to go. If they can get around 200,000 by the 4th one I think they will be on the way.
hippysmacker
2/12/07 7:30:03AM
I've actuallly never heard of a flyweight fight in the US , so I'm sure if their would be enough fighter's for the UFC to promote. i don't think they would want all foreign( non- english speaking) fighter's.
JunCTion
2/13/07 3:00:24AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think this would be good for the sport, especially if they both did it. Kid Yamamoto would be the prize for whoever signed him IMO. Here's my manifesto and why.

1. Adjust all weight classe to make them universal in both orgs.This would make cross-promotion more likely, and make all weight classes stronger. Pride would need to add a welterweight division, but they have plenty of guys already who would do better in this weight IMO.( Suloev, Aoki, Chonan,Lawler etc.)
145-featherweight
160-lightweight
175-welterweight
190-middleweight
205-LHYweight-( stays the same because their was a 20 lb. difference instead of 15
HVY-same

2. We have all seen how exciting the lightweight's are. Smaller fighter's generally are faster and have better stamina.

3. MMA is expanding and I think they will need all the fighter's they can get to keep up.

4, Smaller guys like KId, Hominick, Faber, Inoe and allt he rest are at a distinct disadvantage fighting guys so much taller and naturally heavier than themselves and could be wore down by LnP style fighter's .

5. If the UFC truly wants to go to weekly fight's they need more fighter's.

i like watching the litle guy fight. they have tons of energy and conditioning and almost all of the fights are entertaning from start to finish
unchillphil
2/13/07 3:20:50AM
I've never watched a featherweight fight that I didn't find entertaining. These guys are so full of energy, it's like pure dynamite! There's always some action and you can't blink.

Hominick vs Faber at 145 would deserve to be on a UFC card. And who wouldn't want to watch it?
hippysmacker
2/13/07 9:45:44PM
Agreed. Hominick vs faber would be great . The smartest thing that could happen to the UFC if they started this division would be to get Kid Yamamoto though. Some smaller 155 guys would move down, but they would probably need to get a lot of the top guys from Shooto to really pull it off.
OB_Juan
2/14/07 12:46:20AM
No. Not for a while anyhow. They just brought back the LW div. While I enjoy the LWs the majority of casual MMA fans prefer watching the big boys even if they're far less skilled than the smaller guys. It will be a long time before the smaller guys get the credit they deserve but TUF5 could help get some momentum.
Snacks
2/14/07 12:51:38AM
Pride's measurement of 10 KG per weight class wouldn't make a lw, it'd make a type of catch-weight for featherweight/Bantamweight.

So yeah, because I want to see more Matsune.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/14/07 12:59:04AM
What does IMO mean?
DoTheMMAth
2/14/07 5:40:48AM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

What does IMO mean?

In My Opinion

Sometimes you will also see the variation "IMHO" - In My Honest Opinion
hippysmacker
2/14/07 12:52:37PM
Props-I never thought of that since I'm in the US and we go by lbs. I'm not even sure what the ratio is kg. to lb. . I'll have to look it up thanks
Snacks
2/14/07 1:21:31PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Props-I never thought of that since I'm in the US and we go by lbs. I'm not even sure what the ratio is kg. to lb. . I'll have to look it up thanks

It'd be like ... 138, or around there.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 1:50:35PM
Thanks again. Kid is only 5 ft. 4 , but he's buff. I wonder if he would have trouble making that weight. He's trying to make the olympic wrestling team, and wrestlers are great at cutting. He could probably do it.
OB_Juan
2/14/07 3:47:40PM
Multiply pounds by 2.2 to get kilos. Thanks in advance for the props.
Snacks
2/14/07 7:27:31PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Thanks again. Kid is only 5 ft. 4 , but he's buff. I wonder if he would have trouble making that weight. He's trying to make the olympic wrestling team, and wrestlers are great at cutting. He could probably do it.

If KID tried he could probably make 123.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 7:32:10PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

Is that the weight he's going for in the Olympics? It seems a huge cut. Kudos to him if he makes it
Snacks
2/14/07 8:00:01PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

Is that the weight he's going for in the Olympics? It seems a huge cut. Kudos to him if he makes it

I believe he's wrestling at 132. But he's not really cutting weight to make 143, so he could probably make 123.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 8:13:38PM
With TUF 5 being about lightweights it's a fair bet some of those guys wil be small fro 155. So that would help with a eatherweight division. It would also then be a possibility then for the UFC not to change any of their current weight divisions and just make featherweight 140.
Snacks
2/14/07 8:17:21PM

Posted by hippysmacker

With TUF 5 being about lightweights it's a fair bet some of those guys wil be small fro 155. So that would help with a eatherweight division. It would also then be a possibility then for the UFC not to change any of their current weight divisions and just make featherweight 140.

The UFC isn't planning to makea 145 division anytime soon, they've only set one up in WEC.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 8:23:00PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by hippysmacker

The UFC isn't planning to makea 145 division anytime soon, they've only set one up in WEC.

Let's hope that's just a trial to see how well it goes over. Who know's TUF 6 could be featherweights.
OB_Juan
2/15/07 2:46:37PM
To be completely honest, I REALLY don't like those suggested weight classes. In fact I'll say that jumping 15 lbs in each div is pretty stupid. There's a reason the increments increase as the divs go up... it's called percentages. 15 lbs difference to a 140 lb guy is HUGE compared to a 200 lb guy. If the UFC opens a FW div it will be at the already recognized weight of 145 lbs.

You didn't even touch the HW div (ie: no SHW 220+?) which is probably the one that actually needs it most. IMO the current NSAC weight divs are fine but I think they should lower the cut off for HW/SHW. There are guys like Randy and Matyushenko that would be better suited fighting in the 220 - 230 lb range rather than cutting to 205 but have a hard time hanging w/ monsters that out weight them by 40+ lbs.

IMO they should lower the HW limit to 240ish. That would potentially increase talent in both the HW AND the SHW divs. Guys that walk around at 250 - 260ish would have the option of cutting down to HW or fighting their fellow big boys. Right now the SHW div is drab and shallow but add guys like Sylvia and it could become legit while allowing for a broader range of competitve talent at HW.

I'm not trying to rag on you personally, I just think your logic is seriously flawed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing.
hippysmacker
2/15/07 3:21:56PM
agree to disagree then
OB_Juan
2/16/07 2:09:01PM
I'm just saying... look at amateur wrestling or boxing or whatever. The increments between weight classes start off small and get larger as the competitors go up in weight. It's about percentages.