The UFC and Pride FC are not merging.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The UFC and Pride FC are not merging.
AchillesHeel
3/30/07 4:10:57PM
The UFC did not buy Pride.

The UFC and Pride are not merging.

Dana White didn't buy Pride.

Zuffa didn't buy Pride.

Frank and Lorenzo Ferttita bought Pride, and are forming a new company for the express purpose of operating Pride.

Just needed to get that out of the way. Carry on.
Lay_N_Pray
3/30/07 4:13:47PM
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Every press release has made it perfectly clear that they will remain separate companies, but they also stated that indeed they will adopt the same rules and weight classes as UFC and they will do one joint show per year.

So yes, Pride is owned by the owners of UFC so they could decide to do what ever creative move they want at any moment
cowcatcher
3/30/07 4:14:06PM
thats true as a stand alone statement, but the fact is we will be seeing guys change orgs relatively hassle free, and the word right now is there will be 1 cross promo event each year so its not unfair to talk about the two orgs as partners

edit:i see what you are saying though, there is some confusion with casual readers/fans
AchillesHeel
3/30/07 4:19:05PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Every press release has made it perfectly clear that they will remain separate companies[...]

I thought it should be clarified, because some folks around the Web are getting confused and believing that the two organizations are merging.

If this isn't news to you, then... well... good.

Posted by cowcatcher

[...]we will be seeing guys change orgs relatively hassle free, and the word right now is there will be 1 cross promo event each year so its not unfair to talk about the two orgs as partners

All true.
dstlvb
3/30/07 4:37:02PM
Dont quote me on this but i belive in one of the interviews someone in charge said that the two companies fighters will avoid each other all year untill the one cross promo fight. If fighters trade back and forth on a regular bases then the once a year show loses its luster.
Gogoplata
3/30/07 4:52:45PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Zuffa didn't buy Pride.

Frank and Lorenzo Ferttita bought Pride, and are forming a new company for the express purpose of operating Pride.

God forbid someone refer to it as a "merger" of sorts.
Rush
3/30/07 5:07:18PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Zuffa didn't buy Pride.

Thanks for that. Not that I misunderstood myself, but there are a number of people that seem to think that owners and CEOs are one and the same.

Bill Gates owns a large share of Apple, but Apple is not owned by Microsoft.
redmist
3/30/07 5:35:55PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Zuffa didn't buy Pride.

Well all of that is semantics. Fact is the people who own the UFC now also own Pride and the two largest MMA companies are no longer in direct competition. The idea of Pride as a seperately owned promotion is now just that, an idea.
Having said that, as long as the fighters don't get stiffed, i don't mind.
Mastodon2
3/30/07 6:45:28PM
True, Zuffa and Dana white dont have anything to do with Pride, but the Fertitta's look to be doing a fine job of ruining Pride without him.
Mayo
3/30/07 6:46:43PM

Posted by dstlvb

Dont quote me on this but i belive in one of the interviews someone in charge said that the two companies fighters will avoid each other all year untill the one cross promo fight. If fighters trade back and forth on a regular bases then the once a year show loses its luster.

I just quoted you

Anyway that definitely makes sense.
shackle
3/30/07 7:09:01PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by AchillesHeel

Zuffa didn't buy Pride.

Thanks for that. Not that I misunderstood myself, but there are a number of people that seem to think that owners and CEOs are one and the same.

Bill Gates owns a large share of Apple, but Apple is not owned by Microsoft.

Um thats a horrible example cause the ferttita's bought pride they didn't buy stocks.

UFC does own pride ferttita's have big shares in the UFC so they partially own it. They represent the UFC thats part theirs too.

UFC owns pride pretty much they have decided to keep the name it's just like the deal with WEC......
Rush
3/30/07 7:40:07PM
I think the example serves its purpose. Pride may not be public , but the bottom line is, when you own stock you are an owner of the company and you are involved with all the major decisions made with the company. Mind you, all you need to do is own 51% of the company to do whatever you want.

I was going to add this point, but you brought it up before I had a chance to do it, since Pride is not public, that means Zuffa or Dana White have absolutely no direct say or control over anything that goes on with Pride.

I was not aware that UFC was a public company. Do you have any evidence that UFC is public? What is their stock name? I know the IFL is public.

The bottom line is, if the Fertitta brothers like making money, it's in their best interest to keep the UFC and Pride in competition.

Again to say the UFC owns Pride is really over simplifying things. In fact it's incorrect.
Rush
4/4/07 8:23:09PM
Here is an answer to my post above

Source

In an interview with the Baltimore Sun.com, Dana White, President of Zuffa, stated he has no plans on Zuffa becoming a publicly traded company.

From the same source:

On March 27, 2007, it was announced that Frank Fertitta III and Lorenzo Fertitta is acquiring Pride Fighting Championships. To handle the take over, the Fertitta brothers created a new corporate entity, Pride FC Worldwide Holdings LLC. Pride FC Worldwide Holdings LLC will handle all of Pride's assets.

Yet, Dana has said in a recent interview that 'we bought Pride'.

I am also seeing the 'UFC buys pride' and 'Zuffa bought Pride' in almost every article I read.

Here is another source stating that Zuffa is a private company.