is there still anyone in ufc or pride who is an expert in karate or kung fu?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » is there still anyone in ufc or pride who is an expert in karate or kung fu?
quintos
6/12/07 6:14:35AM
just asking... im a big jackie chan/ bruce lee fan.. i know their antics won't work in ufc but do you think they (karate/kung-fu) would ever win big in ufc/pride?
Signal2112
6/12/07 6:20:18AM
GSP has a black belt in Kyokushin Karate (I think thats the type he does), and has learned some very effective kicks from it. Also, note the gi he wears on his way to the octagon.
pv3Hpv3p
6/12/07 11:04:20AM
I think Machida's first dicipline was some sort of Karate as well...

Chuck does have the Kempo tattoo, so you'd think that he'd have some experience...

And I think alot of the Tompkins guys like Horodecki, Stout, etc all have some sort of karate background... Since it really only addresses one aspect of MMA, I don't think you'll find many people who just use something like this in a fight
tepid55
6/12/07 12:39:38PM
GSP wears his gi to the octagon because he's a purple belt in BJJ.
loller90278
6/12/07 12:47:27PM
zelg galesic practices some sort of karate
kmansoori6
6/12/07 1:13:37PM
Machida holds a black belt in Shotokan Karate. He actually competed and did well on an international level. George Kotaka is a national karate champ who has won most major tournaments on the karate scene for the last several years. He has been training jiu jitsu and happens to be one of the fastest humans I have ever seen, he is going to have his second fight after his first knockout win.
Gladiator
6/12/07 1:55:13PM
jeff joslin is a blackbelt in karate.
Aether
6/12/07 2:09:30PM
yeah machida is the only notable one that I know of.
kaduey
6/12/07 2:41:39PM
Don't forget about Semmy Schilt.
Brownsfan222
6/13/07 1:38:15AM
I know GSP and Liddell have black belts in some sort of karate, but Machida is the only one I know of that still practices it regularly.
quintos
6/14/07 8:47:53AM
thanks for the post guys but none of you guys mentioned about kung fu... nobody has any background w/ kung fu... something off topic how come chinese players aren't competing in the ufc?? or any up and comers out there?
warglory
6/14/07 12:04:17PM
There have been a few guys have I have seen practice jeet kun do as far as what the UFC has said, but not in years have I seen any mention of that.
Dadaman
6/14/07 12:30:42PM
Karate is a powerful base for any fighter. It's good as a starter for younger kids. teaches em discipline and gets them ready for MT and BJJ in years to come. wish ida done karate as a youngster honestly
Violentcuv
6/14/07 2:48:56PM
Sean Salmon has a sweet midair-kung fu-jackie chan-shadowbox-karatekid type kick that he has displayed in past fights
MethodMan
6/15/07 9:48:22AM
Cung Lee is a kung fu (san shao) guy and he fights in MMA, there are guys who compete in the chinese/korean MMA scene who have Kung fu and Karate as a primary fighting style, there are a few japanese fighters with some Karate background such as Ryo Chonan.
richieb19
6/15/07 9:50:34AM

Posted by quintos

thanks for the post guys but none of you guys mentioned about kung fu... nobody has any background w/ kung fu... something off topic how come chinese players aren't competing in the ufc?? or any up and comers out there?

Jason Delucia is probably the most popular Kung Fu background in MMA that I can think of...
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 11:21:07AM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by quintos

Jason Delucia is probably the most popular Kung Fu background in MMA that I can think of...

What about that guy that dressed like Bruce Lee and got the sh!t kicked out of him by Kid in K-1?
ac_gi
6/15/07 5:09:17PM

Posted by Violentcuv

Sean Salmon has a sweet midair-kung fu-jackie chan-shadowbox-karatekid type kick that he has displayed in past fights

hippysmacker
6/15/07 9:04:39PM
I believe Tamura is a multiple black belt in some sort of Karate.,
Kisame
6/16/07 2:51:27AM

Posted by Violentcuv

No man that was a futbol pass.
Mv356
6/16/07 1:13:47PM
Stephan bonnar
XblacksheepX
6/16/07 1:58:48PM
From what i know Bonnar has a Teak Kwon Do Background and so does Zelg Galesic (Full Contact Teak Kwon Do World Champion or something..).

I'm wondering if there really still some mma fighters using some more fluid combat sport technics like Vin Chun, Kung Fu, Ju Jutsu (not BJJ!), Jeet Kun Do etc., because barely seeing anything like that in mma so far. I mean there are a lot more technics than the chokes and bars used from BJJ.
loller90278
6/16/07 1:59:34PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

From what i know Bonnar has a Teak Kwon Do Background and so does Zelg Galesic (Full Contact Teak Kwon Do World Champion or something..).

I'm wondering if there really still some mma fighters using some more fluid combat sport technics like Vin Chun, Kung Fu, Ju Jutsu (not BJJ!), Jeet Kun Do etc., because barely seeing anything like that in mma so far. I mean there are a lot more technics than the chokes and bars used from BJJ.

excellent first post. props
XblacksheepX
6/16/07 3:11:45PM
Thanks, dude!