Should UFC have PRIDE shows or should be just one show ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should UFC have PRIDE shows or should be just one show ?
Ulio
6/19/07 8:17:07PM
Asking i think alot of people think it should stay the way it is seens if everyone comes to ufc some people wont get fight time .
And others think it should be one show so the best fight the best .
So just give out your opinions on which you think should be done.
Northrend
6/19/07 8:24:48PM
I think there should be 2 shows because you get
1) the UFC experience
2) the Pride experience

there are more fighters, different commentators, (hopefully) different rules and you can have the GrandPrix's unlike in America. Oh and Pride is my favorite org so im probably biased.
Ultimate_fighter
6/19/07 8:51:13PM
I think they should combine them... the best fighters against eachother? That would awesome... and they should set up so u can see at least 7 fights on tv, i pay 40 bucks to watch 4 fights, kinda makes me mad!
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 10:00:16PM
mosy pay per views are $40 to see usually 5 main card fights, and sometimes 1 or 2 prelim fights (just depends).
I would like to see 2 shows (sometimes have ufc vs. Pride fights). but thats not gonna happen. there gonna bring the main pride fighters to ufc and put the others in WEC and make it like the new pride. once ufc needs more fighters they will probably bring the pride fighter out of wec and put them in ufc
mk1630
6/19/07 10:03:07PM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

I think they should combine them... the best fighters against eachother? That would awesome... and they should set up so u can see at least 7 fights on tv, i pay 40 bucks to watch 4 fights, kinda makes me mad!

Not to be that guy but we get to see 5 fights and if there is time left they usually show an undercard fight. On the subject of them combining the 2 companies I couldnt agree more. I think it would be great to see all of the dream matchups and see who the best in each weight class really is.
DJDark41
6/19/07 10:23:59PM
Keep PRIDE and UFC seperate, hold PRIDE events in Japan and keep UFC in Europe and North America.
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 10:48:11PM
so you don't want to see the dream fights
Hurricane_Brad
6/19/07 10:58:23PM
I don't see why they would totally scrap an established brand name in Japan, and I would miss the Pride style of running shows. I say run them seperately, and have an annual or semi-annual super event as originally planned.
Vietnamese_Guy
6/19/07 10:59:18PM
PRIDE never die
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 11:05:52PM
I'm gonna miss Pride. I love the pride atmosphere and how respectful the fans are. and just the sportsmanship they had in pride, there was alot more respect in pride than in ufc
hippysmacker
6/19/07 11:14:44PM

Posted by DJDark41

Keep PRIDE and UFC seperate, hold PRIDE events in Japan and keep UFC in Europe and North America.

MattHughesFan
6/19/07 11:48:57PM
One organization, Use the Cage, no Elbows, foot stomps and knees to the head of a grounded opponent, have grand Prixs every now and then, have the best fight the best on a regular basis and finally rename the organization Ultimate Pride Fighting Championships (UPFC)
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 11:53:29PM
kind of a good Idea, don't like the name though. and elbows should be aloud
szucconi
6/20/07 12:04:41AM

Posted by MattHughesFan

One organization, Use the Cage, no Elbows, foot stomps and knees to the head of a grounded opponent, have grand Prixs every now and then, have the best fight the best on a regular basis and finally rename the organization Ultimate Pride Fighting Championships (UPFC)

I agree with you except for the name change. One thing to add, make duel cards hold and event in japan on the same day as an event in Las Vegas. tape the one in japan and call it Pride X and make the PPV really long with both events. Keep the event names separate, but all under the same org and one set of belts. The announcers can throw the feed to one fight in japan and then back to live. Make it an all day event like football and people will feel like they are getting there moneys worth. There are not enought fights on a UFC card for me and they still don't show all of them.
GrandMaster313
6/20/07 12:17:39AM
keep them bothLike Footlocker did with champs and footaction
hippysmacker
6/20/07 12:50:39AM
I see no reason to take another weapon away from the fighter's. I'm fine with soccer kicks and stomps gone, but am for keeping elbows and adding knees on the ground. I think universal rules are important though.
Manfred
6/20/07 1:32:24AM

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

PRIDE never die

Hate to admit it, but it's dead already. Gross said he doesn't expect to ever see another PRIDE show and Dana recently said they might dissolve it.

At this point, with the UFC taking so many fighters, they might as well dissolve it. Barnett is the only HW left over there. Fedor and Aleks are scheduled to fight with M-1 MFC or whatever in Russia
fatdevil1982
6/20/07 8:35:26AM
http://www.fightopinion.com/2007/06/19/report-pride-returns-on-august-18th/

Nikkan Sports reported on Wednesday morning that the first show of the 'shinsei' (newborn) PRIDE will happen on August 18th at Saitama Super Arena (the same 'home' building that DSE used). The theme of the show will be a "Japanese all-star" presentation, centered around Hidehiko Yoshida.
pv3Hpv3p
6/20/07 11:23:58AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

PRIDE never die

Hate to admit it, but it's dead already. Gross said he doesn't expect to ever see another PRIDE show and Dana recently said they might dissolve it.

At this point, with the UFC taking so many fighters, they might as well dissolve it. Barnett is the only HW left over there. Fedor and Aleks are scheduled to fight with M-1 MFC or whatever in Russia

It's a damn sad state of affairs... I've always wanted to see the best fight the best, but didn't expect it to come about this way... Watch what you wish for I guess
LoSt
6/20/07 2:28:54PM
I would really have liked to see them both stay how they were and operate separately, but Pride is practically dead, and if they do have shows they're going to probably be mostly japanese fighters for a japanese audience.
KYGUY07
6/20/07 3:21:48PM
they need to keep pride and ufc have 2 shows. they need to be seperate.
tepid55
6/20/07 6:21:37PM
If Pride disolves, I hope that the UFC gets their ring girls.
LightsOut33093
6/20/07 8:01:13PM
LightsOut33093
6/20/07 8:02:10PM
jdubs
6/20/07 8:25:25PM
I think keep both but dont have it like these guys are pride and these are ufc. i would let guys compete in both... i think that is what they are gearing towards, cause they are having pride fighters as well as the mw and lhw champ fight in ufc.. sooner or later i think it will merge into one single event which would be good because there would be just amazing fight cards.
awechet
6/20/07 9:03:48PM
I like the idea of both Pride and UFC working together but also being two different arena's for the fighters. We all know Pride has adopted the same rules as UFC so in that sense everybody is on the same page. But, I like the idea of fighters having to go to Japan and fight in a ring and then go to UFC and fight in a cage kinda like Tennis where they have to use different tactics for clay and grass. Also if UFC takes all of the fighters there will be a lot of guys being left out having to fight in the small shows to make a name for themselves.
Northrend
6/20/07 9:11:01PM
If they want universal rules they should take away elbows and add knees to the ground. All elbows do are cut people to end fights, when the people are still ready to fight and are cheated out of alot of good fights. Also with elbows you see more LnP/elbows through guard and no attempt at passing. I would love Soccer Kicks/Stomps and knees as universal rule but some people find stomps too brutal I guess. This is a brutal sport though, and Pride has had them succesfully for a long time with no ill effects.
hippysmacker
6/20/07 9:32:50PM

Posted by Northrend

If they want universal rules they should take away elbows and add knees to the ground. All elbows do are cut people to end fights, when the people are still ready to fight and are cheated out of alot of good fights. Also with elbows you see more LnP/elbows through guard and no attempt at passing. I would love Soccer Kicks/Stomps and knees as universal rule but some people find stomps too brutal I guess. This is a brutal sport though, and Pride has had them succesfully for a long time with no ill effects.

Totally disagree about elbows . Great weapon, ask Mirko. I think they make GnP far more exciting. The last fight I can think of stopped due to elbow cut was Yves/Stevenson and Stevenson was giving him a beating anyway. Overwhelmingly more cuts are caused my punches than anything according to the NSAC a couple of years ago. I ran a search and can't find the article , sorry. I definately want knees on the ground, and all I've heard makes me think it will come soon. Armando garcia from the CSAC was on the beatdown recently and sadi it was being seriously considered presently.