UFC 70 will NOT be live

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 70 will NOT be live
Mayo
3/18/07 7:53:07PM
Link to article

Instead of airing live, the event will air in the United States on a tape delay and will begin airing on Saturday, April 21st at 9:00 PM (Eastern Time/Pacific Time).

The six-figure cost of broadcasting live in the United States from an event in Europe was ultimately deemed to not be worth the expense, particularly since the ratings are likely to be higher in primetime.

They're putting it on tape delay so that they make more money off of a "primetime spot". Which means they think there are not enough true fans out there and they need to appeal to the masses. That's fine, but that means I've got to stay off the internet that day until I watch the fight for myself
waylon_o
3/18/07 11:09:24PM
How long before the airing will the fight actually take place?
mkiv9secsupra
3/19/07 3:15:16AM

Posted by Mayo

Link to article

Instead of airing live, the event will air in the United States on a tape delay and will begin airing on Saturday, April 21st at 9:00 PM (Eastern Time/Pacific Time).

The six-figure cost of broadcasting live in the United States from an event in Europe was ultimately deemed to not be worth the expense, particularly since the ratings are likely to be higher in primetime.

They're putting it on tape delay so that they make more money off of a "primetime spot". Which means they think there are not enough true fans out there and they need to appeal to the masses. That's fine, but that means I've got to stay off the internet that day until I watch the fight for myself

well ufc IS still growing so they are still needing to appeal to masses. i dont have any objections. id rather watch it at 9 when i have time to watch it.
tomp6581
3/19/07 6:16:13AM
welcome to the world of a uk mma fan!
Rich78
3/19/07 6:30:04AM

Posted by waylon_o

How long before the airing will the fight actually take place?

On the tickets, it says doors open at 5.30pm (I think), so the first prelim fight will be about 6ish. Dunno how far behind you guys are, but when I'm typing this post, the time is nearing 10.30am, so going by the US time which will come up on this post header, you should be able to work out how long after the event, the fights will be shown. I would do it for you, but it's far too early for mathematics!
hippysmacker
3/19/07 7:50:59AM
I'm just gonna make sure I'm gone all day till fight time. People start showing up at my house about an hour before it starts, that's about all the temptation I can take. Not looking always irks me on delays , but it's freee so I'm not gonna complain.
xchickox
3/19/07 9:00:20AM
i'm sure you guys can survive a day without the internet, in england we have to wait a day everytime
Mayo
3/19/07 10:03:13AM
The real time if it were live would be 2pm Eastern Time. So that's a 7 hour delay!
Wow it sucks for you UK fans for the other ppv fights. Do you guys have the patience to avoid the internet until you watch the other ppv fights? I guess all the UKers will get the first crack at making posts on this site that day.
Rich78
3/19/07 10:46:02AM
Yeah, its a bit of a pain avoiding the results in the UK, but as it's usually on the day after (Sunday), I'll have been out on the pop on Saturday night so don't get up until later on anyway, then just chill till its on. It's not like I'm at work and have nothing better to do than browse these forums lol.

It's more annoying NOT getting the fight nights and unleashed series' tho!!!
madmarck
3/19/07 11:39:46AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I'm just gonna make sure I'm gone all day till fight time. People start showing up at my house about an hour before it starts, that's about all the temptation I can take. Not looking always irks me on delays , but it's freee so I'm not gonna complain.

Ahhhhh Free but just so much hassle. Will have to go a full day without any sherdog info i guess. And this site too. Oh my. Its gonna be hard to stay away from the spoilers forum.
BloodandTears
3/19/07 1:05:32PM

Posted by tomp6581

welcome to the world of a uk mma fan!

Aww, so this is what it feels like huh? I think I can handle it, I for one, am gonna be on line to see the winners up to date!
nellyhiphophead
3/19/07 1:11:59PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by hippysmacker

Ahhhhh Free but just so much hassle. Will have to go a full day without any sherdog info i guess. And this site too. Oh my. Its gonna be hard to stay away from the spoilers forum.

ya i feel htat when you know you could go look up who won it's jsut so hard not too. yo madmarck you got beatdown on right now. live we got to try and call in. i wanted to talk to tim lastweek and ask him who he thinks is next or who he would like besides mir cause we have herd that one so many times befor.
madmarck
3/19/07 1:15:44PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Posted by madmarck

Posted by hippysmacker

ya i feel htat when you know you could go look up who won it's jsut so hard not too. yo madmarck you got beatdown on right now. live we got to try and call in. i wanted to talk to tim lastweek and ask him who he thinks is next or who he would like besides mir cause we have herd that one so many times befor.

Its on live now? How do you get to it anyways? I never figured it out! I wanann tlak to TJ! although Josh is the man TJ is the funny one.
roman
3/19/07 5:59:37PM

Posted by BloodandTears

Aww, so this is what it feels like huh? I think I can handle it, I for one, am gonna be on line to see the winners up to date!

Likewise. I don't want to be out of the loop. Oh and this means it will be a spoiler to post forums so be careful.