UFC Heavyweights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Heavyweights
Jamie
3/11/07 8:14:13PM
Hey guys.

I hear a lot of quotes like the UFC HW division is a joke and so on. Many of the people acknowledge that the UFC have started to step up though.

But many still call it poor.

According to this websites rankings (Who you guys have voted on) it shows a much different story.

#1 Fedor Emelianenko (Pride)
#2 Mirko Filipovic (UFC)
#3 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pride)
#4 Josh Barnett (Pride)
#5 Randy Couture (UFC)
#6 Andrei Arlovski (UFC)
#7 Tim Sylvia (UFC)
#8 Mark Hunt (Pride)
#9 Fabricio Werdum (UFC)
#10 Aleksander Emelianenko (Not sure about Aleks, is he still contracted to Pride along with Bodog, or just Bodog?)

So that is 5 UFC fighters to 4-5 Pride, I'm aware that 3 of the top 4 are Pride heavyweights, but I think the UFC really doesn't deserve some of the criticism it gets.

Not getting annoyed or anything Just posting an opinion.

Thoughts?
Stickan
3/11/07 8:20:44PM
I have only heard positive stuff about UFC´s HW division lately. It's just like everybody was talking about how little they pay their fighters a year ago, now everybody seems pretty satisfied.

Things change.
loller90278
3/11/07 8:46:27PM
randy couture doesn't belong in top 10.. he's had one fight!

and mark hunt @ 8? hunt would win anybody from rank 5 and up IMO

Stickan
3/11/07 8:51:13PM
Well woulda/coulda/shoulda... Randy would beat Hunt so Hunt doesn't belong there either in that case.
migo
3/11/07 9:27:15PM
Randy has had 16 of his 23 fights at HW.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/11/07 9:35:10PM
Hunt beat CC MMATH!!!!
JimiMak
3/11/07 9:36:45PM
Things have changed a lot in the last year. There's also now the possibility of the Nogs going to UFC. Dana has been pulling out the big offers and says he wants to have all of the best. Of course anyone in his position would say that, but does anyone think he doesn't mean it?

And how does Randy not deserve a top 10 ranking? 3X HW champ, currently champion of one of the big 2. He's only had one fight back because he fought in a different weight category, where he continued to be one of the top ranked fighters. The only reason he hadn't been recently ranked in any class is because he was retired. At any time in his career he has shown himself worthy of a top 10 ranking anywhere he fights. He owned Tim like noone else ever has, did much better than AA in any of his performances against Tim. I think he would put up a hell of a match against any of the top 10.
hippysmacker
3/11/07 9:44:25PM

Posted by JimiMak

Things have changed a lot in the last year. There's also now the possibility of the Nogs going to UFC. Dana has been pulling out the big offers and says he wants to have all of the best. Of course anyone in his position would say that, but does anyone think he doesn't mean it?

And how does Randy not deserve a top 10 ranking? 3X HW champ, currently champion of one of the big 2. He's only had one fight back because he fought in a different weight category, where he continued to be one of the top ranked fighters. The only reason he hadn't been recently ranked in any class is because he was retired. At any time in his career he has shown himself worthy of a top 10 ranking anywhere he fights. He owned Tim like noone else ever has, did much better than AA in any of his performances against Tim. I think he would put up a hell of a match against any of the top 10.

1000%
Northrend
3/11/07 9:59:10PM
I'd rank Werdum and Aleks a bit higher and Tim lower/off the top 10.
gimmper
3/11/07 10:10:08PM
I believe the snowman has never got his just dues...I have snowman beating Hunt...and possibly even arlovski...If he's not top ten then he is one hell of a journyman.
hathcock32
3/11/07 10:43:15PM

Posted by Northrend

Give credit to Tim, he held the belt for a while...and has had some devastating KO's and posted 2 wins over one of the most talented guys in MMA IMO (Arlovski). Tim held the belt...i dont believe those 2 should be ranked ahead of him IMO. A decision loss to Randy Couture doesen't drop you far down. I think Tim would handle Aleks IMO. Very anxious to see who Tim's next match is. I would really like to see how he would do agianst the top 3 in pride. He would hold his own IMO
loller90278
3/11/07 10:51:18PM
#2 Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pride)
#3 Mirko Flipovich (UFC)
#4 Josh Barnett (Pride)
#5 Mark Hunt (Pride)
#6 Fabricio Werdum (UFC)
#7 Aleksander Emelianenko (Pride)
#8 Sergei Kharitonov (Pride)
#9 Andrei Arlovski (UFC)
#10 Randy Couture (UFC)

my list
for all you hunt haters, just watch his next fight...his ground game is going to be established, and he's already a killer on the feet.

Northrend
3/11/07 10:53:19PM

Posted by hathcock32

Posted by Northrend

Give credit to Tim, he held the belt for a while...and has had some devastating KO's and posted 2 wins over one of the most talented guys in MMA IMO (Arlovski). Tim held the belt...i dont believe those 2 should be ranked ahead of him IMO. A decision loss to Randy Couture doesen't drop you far down. I think Tim would handle Aleks IMO. Very anxious to see who Tim's next match is. I would really like to see how he would do agianst the top 3 in pride. He would hold his own IMO

Well honestly I think Aleks and Werdum would murder Tim and ive never felt Tim is a very good HW fighter. Thus would be my reason taking him of top 10 or at least lowering him down on the list.
Uchiha
3/11/07 10:57:35PM
i say hunt over arlovski. If they ever fought arlovski would not be able to ko Hunt. Hunt would be koing arlovski in 1st round.

Rest seems fine tho
ac_gi
3/11/07 11:49:46PM

Posted by loller90278

#3 Mirko Flipovich (UFC)
#4 Josh Barnett (Pride)
#5 Mark Hunt (Pride)
#6 Fabricio Werdum (UFC)
#9 Andrei Arlovski (UFC)
#10 Randy Couture (UFC)

my list
for all you hunt haters, just watch his next fight...his ground game is going to be established, and he's already a killer on the feet.

Sergei over Andrei?

The wait on Hunt will not be long... He is fighting on the Pride 34 card. Hopefully he fights someone worth a damn. He will probably be given a can, because of his last opponent. Some overrated fighter from Japan seems in order.
jdubs
3/12/07 12:42:25AM
hunt should be about 3 or 4 on the list
loller90278
3/12/07 12:53:44AM

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by loller90278

#3 Mirko Flipovich (UFC)
#4 Josh Barnett (Pride)
#5 Mark Hunt (Pride)
#6 Fabricio Werdum (UFC)
#9 Andrei Arlovski (UFC)
#10 Randy Couture (UFC)

my list

Sergei over Andrei?

The wait on Hunt will not be long... He is fighting on the Pride 34 card. Hopefully he fights someone worth a damn. He will probably be given a can, because of his last opponent. Some overrated fighter from Japan seems in order.

yea i see sergei as a better boxer, with a stronger chin and an equivalent ground game ( sans the side mount =/ )
ac_gi
3/12/07 1:01:44AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by loller90278

#3 Mirko Flipovich (UFC)
#4 Josh Barnett (Pride)
#5 Mark Hunt (Pride)
#6 Fabricio Werdum (UFC)
#9 Andrei Arlovski (UFC)
#10 Randy Couture (UFC)

my list

Sergei over Andrei?

yea i see sergei as a better boxer, with a stronger chin and an equivalent ground game ( sans the side mount =/ )

I've never really thought of a Sergei v Andrei matchup, but that would be a fun fight.
Manfred
3/12/07 3:21:19AM
I've said it before, UFC will have the majority of the top HW talent buy the end of the year. Dana's got the checkbook open now.

Fedor: Has 5 fights before he's available (He signed a 4 fight extension + the BoDog fight)
Nog: Heard his contract might be up, and Dana said he wants him recently
Aleks: Not much he can do in PRIDE with Fedor there, but there are possible visa issues.
Barnett & Sergei: No idea how many fights they have left with PRIDE, but I think Sergei will jump ship before Josh.

Concerning Randy, his performance was nothing short of amazing, but 1 HW fight in 4 years and his 1st HW win in more than 5 years, it's tough to put him in the top 10 just yet.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/12/07 2:59:42PM

Posted by Manfred

I've said it before, UFC will have the majority of the top HW talent buy the end of the year. Dana's got the checkbook open now.

Fedor: Has 5 fights before he's available (He signed a 4 fight extension + the BoDog fight)
Nog: Heard his contract might be up, and Dana said he wants him recently
Aleks: Not much he can do in PRIDE with Fedor there, but there are possible visa issues.
Barnett & Sergei: No idea how many fights they have left with PRIDE, but I think Sergei will jump ship before Josh.

Concerning Randy, his performance was nothing short of amazing, but 1 HW fight in 4 years and his 1st HW win in more than 5 years, it's tough to put him in the top 10 just yet.

I agree manfred. I think Josh will jump ship as soon as he feels the competition and the $$ is in the UFC. Josh has said repeatedly that he fights where the top guys are and right now PRIDE HW has the majority of the talent. But its all changing really soon. the UFC business model seems much more stable and its growing. I think PRIDE is like a falling Roman empire, once mighty and great but slowly being ripped apart by the UFC hordes
Junior24
3/13/07 4:20:07PM
When Jerome Lebanner takes MMA seriously, he will be a menace. He signed w/IFL as a head coach. If we are lucky we will see some Superfights. If he fights MMA in UFC where they allow elbows, its all over. He's KO'd a lot of very large fighters in K-1 w/10-12oz. gloves I cant imagine what he would do w/3oz. gloves.

On another note, Arlovski shud be out of the Top 10 until he beats someone other than Tim Sylvia. Tim Sylvia shud be #10. I think Josh Barnett shud be lowered as well. Great fighter, but not that great. He got worked by Nog both times, even though he won in the GP, and he was getting worked by the Judo guy from Poland(Yes, I know he popped). I know productions pick the majority of the fights, due to whatever reason, but to be ranked in the Top 10 HW's of the world, you need to have done something substantial in your fight career, wether in K-1, K-1 Hero's, Pride, UFC, KOTC, ISKA, Pancrase, etc. 2007 is going to say a lot for the HW's and I wouldnt be surprised if a few of those fighters are off the Top 10 before September.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/13/07 6:19:38PM

Posted by gimmper

I believe the snowman has never got his just dues...I have snowman beating Hunt...and possibly even arlovski...If he's not top ten then he is one hell of a journyman.

I hope you are joking
hippysmacker
3/13/07 10:10:08PM

Posted by jdubs

hunt should be about 3 or 4 on the list

The reason I don't think Hunt should be ranked very high is that he is still a liabilty on the ground. I know he has improved( Fedor fight) , but any HVY who's smart would just take him to the round and sub him(Fedor, Barnett). Fedor, Big Nog, Barnett, Arlovski, Werdum, Alek's,Coutre, Sergei, Vera,Silva and yes even Monson all possess the skills and inclination to take him down as soon as he landed anything on them. Cro-cop and Sylvia may not prefer it, but I think they are also better on the ground than him .Only when someone chooses to stand with him is he really dangerous IMO. If he was in shape and really improved on the ground I would agree with a #3 or #4 ranking. If any of them chose to stand with him , or he improved his takedown defense I could see it. However, until he gets in shape, becomes at least average on the ground, and improves his takedown defense I don't think he'll ever realize his true potential. As of now, I don't see it.