UFC on HBO Deal Likely Dead

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC on HBO Deal Likely Dead
MrLehman
6/23/07 4:39:17PM
A long-publicized — and long-awaited — deal between the UFC and subscription-cable leader HBO is now unlikely to happen because of the recent arrest (and subsequent firing) of HBO Chairman and CEO Chris Albrecht last month...
LINK
MMAinstinct
6/23/07 5:04:28PM
"But HBO Sports topper Ross Greenburg and other execs have resisted, feeling it would tarnish boxing and the rest of the HBO brand."

LOL at tarnishing the brand name of HBO, yeah like Cat House and Real Sex are much more appropriate for their brand

I hope now they go for espn
Aether
6/23/07 5:38:24PM
doesn't really matter honestly. MMA is exploding whether certain idiots refuse to view it as a legitimate sport, it will be their own loss in the end and I'd be willing to bet they come back begging when boxing falls off the face of the earth and MMA is ranked with football and basketball as one of the primary spectator sports.
babalu2720
6/23/07 5:42:24PM
I agree,a deal with ESPN would be really sweet
MrLehman
6/23/07 5:50:08PM
ESPN would be awesome, But i doubt we see any free UFC except on Spike for the next year or longer.... I get HBO , but I am sure they would have been HBO PPV just like all the boxing.
grappler0000
6/23/07 6:33:07PM

Posted by MrLehman

ESPN would be awesome, But i doubt we see any free UFC except on Spike for the next year or longer.... I get HBO , but I am sure they would have been HBO PPV just like all the boxing.

i believe they planned on having a 3 tier system:

1. Spike - Free = decent fight card
2. HBO - Prem. Cable = better fight card
3. PPV - Pay = quality fight card
ButterBalls
6/23/07 7:25:51PM
I'd rather see MMA on ESPN than HBO anyways.
LightsOut33093
6/24/07 10:03:14AM
ProfessorChaos
6/24/07 12:46:16PM

Posted by butterballs

I'd rather see MMA on ESPN than HBO anyways.

As long as they get knowledgable announcers or bring in Rogan and Goldberg then I am all for the move to ESPN. ESPN has a bunch of shitty play by play guys though and that could get annoying real fast.
Mattyc
6/24/07 4:16:54PM
I agree. I would like to see MMA on ESPN. And very good point about the Announcers. Im sorta tired of people bashing on Goldberg... Im sorry, it could be so much worst than that. I would like to see UFC on another station. They're getting so many fighters now that they could afford to have several events.. a fight night and a PPV every month. Have an event of Mid-level/ up and comers on ESPN every month, that'd definitely be nice.
nastshabast
6/24/07 6:08:12PM
less poker and paintball.....more mma and hockey
mma_fan_matt
6/24/07 6:10:04PM

"But HBO Sports topper Ross Greenburg and other execs have resisted, feeling it would tarnish boxing and the rest of the HBO brand."

lol. That's fine, I'd much rather have it on ESPN instead.
LightsOut33093
6/24/07 8:40:05PM

Posted by nastshabast

i hate hockey.......wood much rather watch poker or paintball but my favorite has 2 be my wish
nastshabast
6/25/07 5:42:58AM

Posted by LightsOut33093

Posted by nastshabast

i hate hockey.......wood much rather watch poker or paintball but my favorite has 2 be my wish

what is my wish?