UFC 73 Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 73 Discussion
« Previous Page
BEEF24
7/8/07 2:43:20AM
I went 9-0 this event (including calling the Evans/Ortiz draw) and I'm only listed at 8-0....I went 8-0 last event as well...it be nice if I could be rewarded for picking something as rare as a draw...as opposed to that fight mysteriously being erased...

any thoughts?

BEEF24
leeman
7/8/07 3:38:24AM
lol u predicted the draw damn thats pretty gud
jack
7/8/07 9:12:48AM
That fight card should have been an Ultimate fight night live one .....not a payperview. I was greatly disappointed by the fights (except Kenny Florians and Silva's). At least Augusts will be a decent one. To bad getting these payperviews is like crack to me....I keep buying and buying and buying!!
Gimmefive
7/8/07 10:32:42AM

Posted by jack

That fight card should have been an Ultimate fight night live one .....not a payperview. I was greatly disappointed by the fights (except Kenny Florians and Silva's). At least Augusts will be a decent one. To bad getting these payperviews is like crack to me....I keep buying and buying and buying!!

I hear ya! I keep telling myself that I will download the torrent somewhere the day after, BUT I'M HOOKED! I enjoyed the card last night. I would like to see them also play the undercard at the end of the event tho.
zephead
7/8/07 3:40:48PM

Posted by jack

Sherk/Franca was a great fight. The transistions were awesome. Herring/Nog showed you what heart is all about. Granted, Tito/Rashad was nothing to brag about, but it was a good card.
slovadon13
7/8/07 7:59:56PM
Definitely a night of technical battles.
Mastodon2
7/9/07 7:26:43AM
So much for "stacked" eh? Proof that big names dont make good fights. Nogueira looked like he was trying to find his feet all night, nearly got KO'd by a Herring head kick (And this is a guy who shrugged off a CC head kick!)

Sherk / Franca was a bit of a snooze fest, apart from Franca's knees. Sherk did a load of transitions, but didnt actually mount much offense.

Tito / Rashad was just boring, little action here again, but really showed up how far Tito has fallen, he looked dreadful in this fight. His striking was sloppy and he was exhausted by the end. However, he claimed to be healthy before the fight, so at least we didnt get a load of excuses. I was pleased by Rashad, I thought he would give Tito trouble, and he did

Florian's fight was nothing spectacular. Good Haraigoshi by Florian though.

Silva / Marquardt was great though, that really was a fantastic fight, Silva looked awesome, popping Nate with a few jabs, grappling with him, then the shot that put Nate away, hitting him in the face and causing his head to rebound off the mat before raining in more and more shots, was sheer beauty. Franklin is really going to have his work cut out in the rematch!

All in all, the fights were pretty unspectacular, Im disappointed to admit. However, Silva made it worth watching, I love seeing that guy laying it down!
IrishA-hole
7/9/07 12:49:58PM
wasnt too happy with this shit.
MMA
7/9/07 4:09:23PM

Posted by BEEF24

I went 9-0 this event (including calling the Evans/Ortiz draw) and I'm only listed at 8-0....I went 8-0 last event as well...it be nice if I could be rewarded for picking something as rare as a draw...as opposed to that fight mysteriously being erased...

any thoughts?

BEEF24

Considering how there is no option of a draw, I don't see how you picked the fight as a draw.
Greco888
7/9/07 4:10:16PM
All in all a good card:

Nog/Herring : Potential for a huge upset until Herring threw it away....

Florian/Robinson: Florian more than impressive..great fight!

Franca/Sherk: i can't believe people think Sherk LNP'd his way to victory. Very dominant performance but boring i guess to the casual fan...oh well

Evans/Ortiz: Not impressed with either. Evans did nothing until the 3rd although if he would have slammed Ortiz in the 2nd that could have been exciting. Ortiz gassing in the 3rd was strange considering he is supposed to be a cardio machine

Marquart/Silva: Wished this would have went longer but damn Silva looks impressive. Franklin does not stand a chance.

7.5/10

Bowen50
7/9/07 4:28:13PM
i was at UFC 73 and it was unbelieveable. The UFC is really about the fans. i met Dana, Couture, Forrest, Karo, Big John, and Nick Diaz.
leeman
7/9/07 6:40:36PM
yeh that wus really suprising how tito just looked incredibly gassed like that. I think the dude cant deal with being hit or cut like in his corner in between rounds he looked scared and wus really worried bout the cut and then when he came back out it just seemed like he mentally didnt wanna fight nemore.
Mastodon2
7/9/07 6:42:13PM

Posted by Greco888

Franca/Sherk: i can't believe people think Sherk LNP'd his way to victory. Very dominant performance but boring i guess to the casual fan...oh well

I'm a lot more than a casual fan, and I found Sherk boring, I don't care if he was dominant and technical in that fight, if you want to see good wrestling without Lay n Pray watch Carlos Newton / Renzo Gracie at Pride Bushido 1. The Bushido rules make LnP impossible, so all the wrestling is used to set up a submission or GnP attack, instead of being used to hold your opponent in place for a decision.

Im sorry, I like Sherk an all, but he wasnt trying to finish that fight. He made one or two submission attempts, threw the odd flurry from the half guard, but he never looked to TKO or submit Franca really, other than the odd oppertunistic shot.
MMA
7/9/07 9:45:39PM
Actually, Sherk was trying to isolate Franca's arm so he could pound on his face and get a kimura. It was boring because Franca is a BJJ black belt so he was very tricky to submit and he would always get out of a bad position.
bls1919
7/10/07 12:30:33AM
Everything but Silva And florians wins was disapointing. A five round decision is not the way I or anyone else intrested would like to see. They choose five rounds for championship fights, just in case of wars. Sherk might win that way once but not more than, put Penn or pulver in there theyed tear him up. What to say about Tito and Rashad, only that you would think that the guy who took home over 1/5 of the money distributed(over all fights) would have killed the guy that made 13 Gs. i think tito is overplayed , lets get some new talent in the 205 division. even if it's unknown. Cant be any worse thanm TITO ORTIZ. WHAT A BITCH!!!!!!
bengy_23
7/10/07 5:01:59AM

Posted by Mastodon2

So much for "stacked" eh? Proof that big names dont make good fights. Nogueira looked like he was trying to find his feet all night, nearly got KO'd by a Herring head kick (And this is a guy who shrugged off a CC head kick!)

Sherk / Franca was a bit of a snooze fest, apart from Franca's knees. Sherk did a load of transitions, but didnt actually mount much offense.

Tito / Rashad was just boring, little action here again, but really showed up how far Tito has fallen, he looked dreadful in this fight. His striking was sloppy and he was exhausted by the end. However, he claimed to be healthy before the fight, so at least we didnt get a load of excuses. I was pleased by Rashad, I thought he would give Tito trouble, and he did

Florian's fight was nothing spectacular. Good Haraigoshi by Florian though.

Silva / Marquardt was great though, that really was a fantastic fight, Silva looked awesome, popping Nate with a few jabs, grappling with him, then the shot that put Nate away, hitting him in the face and causing his head to rebound off the mat before raining in more and more shots, was sheer beauty. Franklin is really going to have his work cut out in the rematch!

All in all, the fights were pretty unspectacular, Im disappointed to admit. However, Silva made it worth watching, I love seeing that guy laying it down!

What did you expect!!!
What would you rather!?!?! A stacked card with some of the top fighters in the world where all the fights are close and could go either way or a card with half as many top fighters fightin bums with quick KO's???
MMA isnt all about quick finishes!!
I enjoyed all the fights on the card even the tito fight because i was really waiting for rashad to take take tito down.
incubus66
7/10/07 12:31:40PM
i'd say florian did the ground and pound in this fight.........
Mastodon2
7/12/07 6:51:25PM

Posted by bengy_23

What did you expect!!!
What would you rather!?!?! A stacked card with some of the top fighters in the world where all the fights are close and could go either way or a card with half as many top fighters fightin bums with quick KO's???
MMA isnt all about quick finishes!!
I enjoyed all the fights on the card even the tito fight because i was really waiting for rashad to take take tito down.

I know MMA isnt all about quick finishes, I often feel cheated by quick finishes (unless we knew they were coming, like Rampage / Liddell II), I prefer to see fights with a mix of good stand up, good clinches and take downs, good wrestling and good submission attempts, instead of one fighter just using wrestling to take a guy down and hold him in place. I know thats a legit tactic, but it doesnt make for great viewing!
SpiderSilva
7/12/07 8:13:44PM
Tito looked like he didnt want to lose to a TUF guy plus its Tito if its not on the ground he wount stand and throw. And of course Silva was gonna win as well as Sherk. Nog looked shaky but who hasnt in their 1st UFC Rampage did and they gave Cro Cop a punching bag in scratch that a running punching bag in his first fight
MMA
7/13/07 12:15:54AM
I just watched Lytle's fight, that was a slick submission. Probably my favorite submission of the year!
BEEF24
7/13/07 1:43:37AM
There was for the last one dude...They've since changed it for some reason!

It was under split decision/draw...now it's just split decision....pisses me off!
Pages: 1 [2]