What if UFC buys PRIDE?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What if UFC buys PRIDE?
CWall33
2/9/07 12:11:56AM
What does everyone think would happen if the UFC ends up buying PRIDE?

Would they keep the two entities separate, and make money off of both? Or would they pretty much dissolve PRIDE and absorb all their guys into the UFC?

Would they start holding events in Japan? And if so, would they use the old PRIDE rules in Japan, and the UFC rules elsewhere?

Since they would have so many more fighters that people would want to see, would they start holding events more often, like twice a month?

Here's what I would like to see. Keep them separate. You would have your PRIDE champs for each weight div, and your UFC champs. But every year, hold a tournament style event for each weight class with both UFC and PRIDE guys. Equal numbers of fighters from each side.
cowcatcher
2/9/07 12:13:46AM
pride becomes UFC Japan and 4 times a year we have cross promotional events
Trapt1nw0nder
2/9/07 12:32:09AM
This happens..

BrAeDeN91
2/9/07 12:36:55AM
if the ufc buys pride i might chuckle a bit then go about my day. lol
mrsumo
2/9/07 12:44:53AM
If the UFC buys Pride we will get to see alot of those fantasy matchups we have thought about the past few years. But we will also see a new org pop up somewhere to take it's place. Combat sports are so popular in Japan, but they will support a Japanese promotion over an american.
gspfan31
2/9/07 12:46:55AM
you would have an amazing lw gp, not that the upcoming lw gp isn't stacked already
StraightLeft
2/9/07 1:03:23AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

This happens..

exactanundo we finally get to see the fights we're dying for and can put to rest who really is the best
BabbyHughes
2/9/07 1:03:47AM

pride becomes UFC Japan and 4 times a year we have cross promotional events

This happens..

oh yes...happyness....
CWall33
2/9/07 1:18:43AM

Posted by StraightLeft

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

This happens..

exactanundo we finally get to see the fights we're dying for and can put to rest who really is the best

I agree 100%. But would you rather it be under one roof, or two? I'd rather see them keep the two separate, and hold a once a year weight-based event. I think bringing all the PRIDE guys straight into the UFC would be a mistake.
StraightLeft
2/9/07 2:29:50AM
I'm with you on that. I like both organizations pretty much as they are and hope they would keep it the same except to have some great interpromotional shows. It's hard to say though, its now a full fledged business and money talks, so whatever its saying is probably the bottom line
hippysmacker
2/9/07 3:27:20AM
I would prefer that they ddin't because monopolies are bad. However, if they did we would finally have a unified championship at most weights. Unless they both open a featherweight division and KId Yamamoto signed with one , we would still be missing a unified featherweight championship.
strikefirstgear
2/9/07 3:48:06AM
I dont know. I guess I have a different take on it. I like pride and UFC both and I would like very much to see them combine to become the UFC world organization.

First- We get to see all the match ups that we have been dying to see.

Second- All the wasted breath on Pride vs UFC becomes pointless.

Third- I really want to see this sport become something of a national (or international) pastime like NASCAR or NFL or NBA or MLB , etc. If the UFC buys pride and combines them then we have a chance at that. I just remember in the old boxing days where a champion of the world only meant in that organization and there were two or three other belts to get to be "World Champion". I hated that.

I know Monopolies are bad but the UFC is smart (like NASCAR, NFL, NBA , etc) and they wont put out an inferior product just because the competition is lacking. I think they know the fans will walk away if it gets stupid. The main focus for them is to put on a good show to draw fans and make lots of money.

Anyway, Just my thoughts.
OchoCinco
2/9/07 1:48:02PM
That would be awesome!!
argile
2/9/07 2:04:02PM
They'd have to keep pride the same if they did happen to buy it. Japanese people probably wouldn't like an American company coming in and buying it. But the hardcore fans their and here would love to see those fantasy match-ups.
roadking95th
2/9/07 2:37:53PM
If UFC bought Pride, I would like to see them kept separate too, with some cross promotional stuff. Perhaps a Champ vs. Champ on New Year's and other special cards. Dana has already stated that when the UFC starts fighting in other countries, he wants to keep the rules the same. I think this is best, as it won't give certain fighters advantages and disadvantages based just on location.
SteedTheDeed
2/9/07 5:54:20PM
i would love it, but only if they kept the orgs seperate. Then we could see sweet match-ups but still have 2 orgs to watch, if UFC brought all the PRIDE guys over it would be too much. The new guys would dissapear if that happened. Just buy then, dont absorb them and MMA will get much sweeter.
cowcatcher
2/9/07 7:00:01PM
Dana gets an extra 3 bodyguards
jay98107
2/9/07 7:16:41PM
Then the have a monopoly and we might get to see some of those dream matchups we've all been waiting for. (WANDY CHUCK!!!)
Brick
2/11/07 1:06:30AM
Well, by the time I write this the UFC buying Pride is moot because Pride has been purchased.

I like the fact that both exist, becaused generally competition begats superiority.

That said, one unifying authority over MMA would be cool, but I figure we let the market sort that out.

I figure UFC will end up on top. Just the way it's gonna be.
CWall33
2/11/07 2:13:43AM
I haven't seen this reported yet. Who bought Pride?
Brick
2/11/07 1:25:59PM
Some businessman named Fishman, he is president of Pride USA and wants to buy the company outright. Maybe it's not final yet, I don't know, but I read that a deal is being worked out.
ButterBalls
2/11/07 5:52:34PM
Sherdog covered this a couple days ago in an interview with Fishman, he has not bought it but wants to.
shackle
2/11/07 8:45:18PM
We will get a good idea who the "best" fighters in the world are :)

I would rather it be under one roof.. competition means we may never get to see the fights we want to see.

Pride vs UFC only happened once, and most likely will never happen again unless they combine together.
CWall33
3/28/07 7:24:19PM
From my 2/9 opening post.

Posted by CWall33

Here's what I would like to see. Keep them separate. You would have your PRIDE champs for each weight div, and your UFC champs. But every year, hold a tournament style event for each weight class with both UFC and PRIDE guys. Equal numbers of fighters from each side.

Looks like I got exactly what I was hoping for.
I can't wait.
JimiMak
3/29/07 12:55:46AM

Posted by CWall33

From my 2/9 opening post.

Posted by CWall33

Looks like I got exactly what I was hoping for.
I can't wait.

Not exactly, but much closer than what I wanted.
crocop-ufc
3/29/07 2:12:55AM
now is the deal perfect
---> UFC purchase Pride