UFC buys Pride!!!!!!! 3/4's Legit.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC buys Pride!!!!!!! 3/4's Legit.
Next Page »
madmarck
3/19/07 1:47:42PM
Hey i called into Sherdog radio today. I asked the screening guy if the rumour that UFC buying pride is Legit and he said it is almost for sure. Sherdog is just waiting to breakt he rumour. im tellin you guys at 3:12 Pm NL time or 1:45 EST.

This is a rumour. Dont doubt this. I called into Sherdog radio and got through on 2nd try. Its on the Savage dog show and im Marck from Canada. Twas a good question until they cut me off.

This is all truth. I belive that UFC has bought pride and im breaking the story b4 MMAweekly.

Im not Trolling

mmaweekly source

ufcjunkie source

sherdog
shackle
3/19/07 2:02:02PM
sherdog radio is breaking the story before MMAweekly.

Yeah I heard the same on the radio show.

Posted by madmarck

Hey i called into Sherdog radio today. I asked the screening guy if the rumour that UFC buying pride is Legit and he said it is almost for sure. Sherdog is just waiting to breakt he rumour. im tellin you guys at 3:12 Pm NL time or 1:45 EST.

This is a rumour. Dont doubt this. I called into Sherdog radio and got through on 2nd try. Its on the Savage dog show and im Marck from Canada. Twas a good question until they cut me off.

This is all truth. I belive that UFC has bought pride and im breaking the story b4 MMAweekly.

Im not Trolling

madmarck
3/19/07 2:22:54PM
this is gonna be the biggest story of the year. Sherdog all the way.
warglory
3/19/07 2:32:05PM
Any other sources? This is definitely big if true.
madmarck
3/19/07 2:40:22PM

Posted by warglory

Any other sources? This is definitely big if true.

When i get them i will post em here. Sherdog hasnt broken it yet but the Phone call Screening guy said it was pretty much a done deal.
I just hope this will get bumped up to the News forum once teh big sources break the news.
zephead
3/19/07 2:43:36PM
If it breaks, it'll be posted without a doubt.
madmarck
3/19/07 2:48:25PM

Posted by zephead

If it breaks, it'll be posted without a doubt.

Oh snap. If it dont. Then im a moron who has tried to break it when i hear a rumbling.
loller90278
3/19/07 3:00:41PM
NOOO! NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOO!
WELL, OKAY!
I HOPE THEY GET A SEPERATE PRESIDENT FOR JAPAN THO, NOT DANA "GLAD TO BE" WHITE
zephead
3/19/07 3:19:28PM
Look int the MMA News Forum. I posted a link to a story about this
Lay_N_Pray
3/19/07 3:20:54PM
I'm gonna say that this is going to turn out to be true. I really think Kamikazee will be the last pure Pride event and from now on we will see dream matches all over the place. However, I do believe they will run them as two seperate promotions with occasional cross-over fights.
hippysmacker
3/19/07 3:29:40PM
This could also make sense why K-1 is partnering with EliteXc. it's the only chance anyone would have to contend with the UFC if this is true. Just got this off UFCJUNKIE.COM.I'll paste it fro Zephead. Either way, i hope we get some confirmation from the UFC just to answet the speculation

Report: Fertitta Brothers Purchase PRIDE Fighting Championships for $65 Million
Posted by UFC Junkie on March 19, 2007 at 2:59 pm ET
Slow down. Take a deep breath. And promise me you won’t go overboard or take this as gospel.

I’m serious now.

Remember: this isn’t a report from UFCjunkie.com, and doubters shouldn’t direct their anger and criticism toward us. We’re just delivering the message.

According to today’s episode of Sherdog’s The Savage Dog Show/BeatDown, UFC majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta have purchased the Japenese-based PRIDE Fighting Championships for a startling-low price of $65 million. (You can find a heated discussion on the Sherdog Forums.)

The show is relying an anonymous source that is said to be “very reliable,” and an official announcement is expected to come on Wednesday.

PRIDE, the UFC’s biggest competitor and perhaps the world’s most recognizable MMA organization, has reportedly suffered a variety of hardships during the past year. Rumors of its potential sale have circulated constantly in the past couple months, with current PRIDE USA Vice President Ed Fishman and the Zuffa LLC-owned UFC emerging as the two most-likely suitors.

The fact that the Fertittas, not Zuffa, are the rumored buyers is surprising at first take. Surely there’s more to the story, but we’ll have to wait.

PRIDE has publicly stated — numerous times — that the organization wasn’t for sale despite the reports saying otherwise. Today’s rumors would obviously hint otherwise.

So what would this mean for the UFC?

It’s hard to say without knowing the particulars. But of most importance would be the UFC’s access to PRIDE’s thoroughly impressive list of international fighters. The purchase could open the door for cross-promotion superfights that could destroy previous records for gates, attendance and pay-per-view revenue.

In any manner, I’ll have more news as it becomes available. For now, sit tight and try not to let the specualation get too far out of hand.
thepunisher
3/19/07 3:36:22PM
i hope it is true because it will make for the best fights in the world but i am sad to see that pride had to sell becuase it is my favorite ORG
loller90278
3/19/07 4:00:11PM

Posted by hippysmacker

This could also make sense why K-1 is partnering with EliteXc. it's the only chance anyone would have to contend with the UFC if this is true. Just got this off UFCJUNKIE.COM.I'll paste it fro Zephead. Either way, i hope we get some confirmation from the UFC just to answet the speculation

hmm yes, i think if ufc + pride merge together,
elitexc and heroes should work together to be a competitor..
they already seem to have decent fighters for their show in june (for heros)

what im wondering is why k-1 wasn't a bidder for pride? it'd make sense..
hippysmacker
3/19/07 4:39:16PM
It would definately make sense to me also. considering the japanese tye-in. Maybe ( if the UFc really did buy them) Zuffa was willing to pay more. As long as thier is a signifacant competitor to the UFC , to protect fighter's salaries, I can accept this.
pv3Hpv3p
3/19/07 5:05:00PM
Makes me wonder what the significance of the Fertita(sp?) bros and not Zuffa buying Pride could be...
loller90278
3/19/07 5:10:31PM
News from Pride Fc

from these news, pride still stands by their saying of "pride is not for sale"

and if they really do come to LA... ooh boy that'll be the best day of my life
madmarck
3/19/07 5:41:27PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Makes me wonder what the significance of the Fertita(sp?) bros and not Zuffa buying Pride could be...

Who knows. Do they own 100% of Zuffa? Im sure others at least have minor shares in the company (like Dana White).
Perhaps teh fertita brothers want total control of Pride. Maybe they want to do something with it that Dana white didnt agree with.
But remember Dana white is the UFC President. Not zuffa. Correct? So techinically Dana won't have control. Unless they change some things around.

Nothing in this post is for sure its just my opinion.
hippysmacker
3/19/07 6:41:06PM
It could also be to avoid any possible monopoly laws.
gspfan31
3/19/07 10:23:42PM
mma weekley radio just said it's official
loller90278
3/19/07 10:31:11PM
say it isnt so.
Dadaman
3/19/07 11:01:59PM
If true this is the most shocking news in the history of MMA!

Unify the belts!
ButterBalls
3/19/07 11:55:00PM
I guess the Fedor/Crocop rematch may actually happen now.

Honestly this doesn't suprise me much. Remember when I made the other thread about not bieng able to get Pride merchandise from thier store anymore, and having a hard time getting shirts in regular sizes? Well I emailed them and asked them what the deal was, and this was the response I got like last week:

Thank you for your email.

XL size products are very popular and sold so fast.

Unfortunately, we do not have plan to receive new stock of this product

so we may not be able to supply you anytime soon.

Thank you,

Pride fc

I know it sounds dumb, but that email didn't hold well for me, and I had wondered about what was going on. It kinda sucks, but at least we'll finally get to see Pride put an end to all the non-title matches.
Huckit
3/19/07 11:56:49PM
dana owns 10% of zuffa
ac_gi
3/20/07 12:23:38AM
I hear the word "monopoly" being thrown around a lot since this story was broke.

The NFL and MLB are both monopolies and they still produce top quality games. A monopoly in sports is not a bad thing.
madmarck
3/20/07 8:17:15AM

Posted by Huckit

dana owns 10% of zuffa

Well then he owns 0% of pride if it was the brothers who bought it.
Mayo
3/20/07 11:48:35AM
Zephead just posted an update...
Link to article
It's looking pretty good.
And as for non-title fights like Butterballs mentioned, I think there is still a place for them. You don't want all of the top guys like Chuck and CC and Fedor etc. to fight eachother and then have one unified belt because then you forever have the same guys continuing to go for rematches and then you won't see anybody else fighting them. Like if Fedor takes all the belts then what are Chuck and CC to do... start their own IFL team or what?! That's losing some major guys for no reason. I think we'll see non-title fights here to stay.
hippysmacker
3/20/07 11:53:05AM
For me end to non-title matches is one of the best things about this merger.
Mayo
3/20/07 11:55:17AM
I think one of the best things about this merger is for UFC fighters to once in a while go to Japan where they can avoid the athletic commision rules and have varied fights including entering OWGP tournaments.
madmarck
3/20/07 3:28:43PM

Posted by Mayo

I think one of the best things about this merger is for UFC fighters to once in a while go to Japan where they can avoid the athletic commision rules and have varied fights including entering OWGP tournaments.

I think the best thing by far is that we will see Chuck vs Wand finally cept without any special deals or crap.

Fedor vs CC 2 is sure to happen.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/20/07 3:46:59PM
Imagine all the kickass lightweight/Welterweight fights!!!

do you think everything will stay the same if they buy Pride?

should they stick to the same name?..i think so

should they keep the same weight classes or change into 5 weightclasses like the UFC?...I think they should change into 5.....shit,if it was me i would make 7...add Featherweight(140),and Super Heavyweight(285-340)...(so Sapp,Hunt,Butterbean,and all them be able to fight)

Pages: [1] 2