Should the UFC award draws in close fights?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should the UFC award draws in close fights?
« Previous Page
POLL: Should the UFC score some fights as draws?
Yes. Sometimes there's just no loser, and everybody knows it. 47% (21)
No. Make the fighters go for it. Win or go home! 53% (24)
AchillesHeel
6/21/07 11:19:12AM

Posted by THE_DRiZzLE

Well Arlovski will be going nowhere fast if he keeps that crap up.. I don't see Dana wanting fighters just skating by..

Exactly. The concern that draws could encourage passive fights is (probably) unfounded. Dana has already taken away a guy's title shot for "fighting to not lose", and all of the fights that I mentioned in the first post were barn-burners, imo.

Posted by XblacksheepX

i like the idea of an additional round after declaring a draw by the judges[...]

Posted by hippysmacker

I also wouldn't mnid a sudden victory round like they have on TUF if it's ruled a draw. Would add a new element of tension to fights IMO.

I agree, an "extra time" round would be exciting for many fights, if only because we don't want the action to end. Imagine if Guida and Griffin had been given another round..!

Posted by DJDark41

Then it comes to a draw and the fight is pointless and there is no sense of an end to the fight.

And by the way, the NHL did change the rules to eliminate draws and I think it was the best move they've made in years.

Right, this is probably a common objection to draws for a lot of fans (and maybe for some fighters too, I dunno).
Rush
6/21/07 1:36:53PM

Posted by DJDark41

And by the way, the NHL did change the rules to eliminate draws and I think it was the best move they've made in years.

Not that I want to turn this into a hockey debate, but I am on the other side of this. I think THE worst change to hockey in the last 2 seasons was adding the shootout.

In hockey the tie was awarded after the teams couldn't finish after 5 min. of overtime. However, in the UFC there is no current overtime round.

I'd be happy with the UFC implementing a 3-5min OT round for close fights and awarding draws after that, but there is a problem with the time frame it takes to figure all that out, as it could potentially disrupt the pace of the fight.
spider1179
6/21/07 3:47:59PM
The UFC does not control the scoring or the judges. The athletic commission from the state the event takes place hires the judges. The 10pt must system and three or five rounds all but assure there will be a single winner and not a draw.
Signal2112
6/21/07 4:30:37PM

Posted by spider1179

The UFC does not control the scoring or the judges. The athletic commission from the state the event takes place hires the judges. The 10pt must system and three or five rounds all but assure there will be a single winner and not a draw.

This is true, it's far out of UFC hands. I'm sure they could appeal to the athletic commission to grant them changes if they wished though.
Aether
6/21/07 5:41:20PM
uhhhh you guys all seem to be forgetting that the ten point must system _DOES NOT_ rule out the possibility of a 10-10 round. The judges do have the ability to score a round as being even. The rule states that the winner of the round must receive ten points, but it also states that in very rare instances where no clear winner can be determined a 10-10 score is a viable option. a 10-8 round is NOT the only possible way to achieve a draw. 29-29 is a possible outcome.

The problem with this argument is the discrepancy in points of view. As spectators we tend most often to view fights in a manner more similar to the way that PRIDE judges scored their matches - that is we view the entire fight as a singular event in wich sequence of events is important (finishing strong is more important than being in control for a greater period of time towards the beginning of the fight a la Nogueira vs Rodriguez) - whereas the UFC judges break the fight down into smaller individual portions and score each one separately, then add them together. The combination of the ten-point must system and the fact that the fight is broken into smaller portions for scoring makes it much more difficult to view a fight as a draw.

If you look at the Griffin-Guida fight as a spectator viewing a singular event, it's very easy to see the fight as a draw... Both fighters were pretty equal in nearly all of the main aspects of the fight. Both were very aggressive, both had fairly equal periods in which they held the dominant position, and both landed a fairly equal amount of standing combinations as well as submission attempts on the ground. If you really take the time to view each round individually and ignore sequence of events as a factor it becomes much more difficult to score the fight the same way. Guida was in control for the end of the third round, but Griffin was in control for the longer period of time at the start of that round... it's difficult not to give that round to Griffin despite the fact that if I were to look at the whole fight together I would say it's difficult to say that anyone won it.

I don't think it's that judges have something against scoring draws, I just think it's that the system they use to score makes it nearly impossible for that to happen. I personally can't think of a round that I would be able to score as dead even which I've viewed in the UFC. Carlos Newton vs Sakuraba at PRIDE 3 is one of the only fights I've seen where I saw a round that was so even that I couldn't really give the nod to one fighter or the other. Unfortunately for Carlos, he got kneebarred after that amazing back-and-forth round.
mmadb
6/22/07 10:39:43AM
I had always wondered if 10-10 rounds are allowed, I always assumed they weren't but in my own personal judging I would use them because it just made sense sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2]