UFC: 6th Most Popular Sport in U.S.?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC: 6th Most Popular Sport in U.S.?
disorderlyvision
4/25/07 12:54:30PM
link

If website visitation is any indication, there is a new sport around that is capturing the hearts of U.S. consumers. The “UFC“, or Ultimate Fighting Championship, attracts a greater number of visitors to its website than the organizations that run professional golf, soccer, bowling, and tennis. And if hockey doesn’t fire up its zambonis soon, it appears that the NHL will be the next sport to be KO’d.

Much like the NFL is the largest professional football league, the UFC is the largest promoter of a combat sport named mixed martial arts (MMA). Competitors are allowed to not only punch like in boxing, but also kick, knee, elbow, slam, and choke their opponents. It’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea (my mother is not a fan), but enough interest has been building in the sport that nearly a million U.S. consumers visit the UFC’s website each month.

grappler0000
4/25/07 1:58:02PM
And to think what would happen if the UFC would actually update the site more frequently...or if they still maintained a fantasy game.
p_unit23
4/25/07 5:10:22PM
lol. read the last sentence of the whole article.
MMA
4/25/07 6:42:08PM
I never knew MLB was so popular in the States ... I hate baseball, it is so damn boring to watch. Innings instead of timer = no thanks.
chentay2112
4/25/07 9:14:30PM

Posted by MMA

I never knew MLB was so popular in the States ... I hate baseball, it is so damn boring to watch. Innings instead of timer = no thanks.

i like baseball but maybe because you can get really drunk watching it and never have to worry about missing any action
GiantRobotDelux
4/26/07 7:56:24AM
too bad UFC isn't a sport..
chop-socky-flix
4/26/07 8:01:36AM
{Toungue in cheek}

Why god damn UFC is the greatest sport in america. Oh my god even the Japs have ufc they jus call it PRIDE its still God Damn UFC though!. I wonder when UFC will be in the olympics?

I absolutely love it when reporters say the sport of UFC. (F**king Pr*cks)
Did you notice the word 'consumers' in the last sentance too? ha ha.
BestDVDWatcherEva
4/26/07 4:04:08PM
UFC is indeed not a sport. Neither are NBA, NFL, NASCAR, NHL, or PGA.
pv3Hpv3p
4/26/07 6:04:32PM

Posted by MMA

If you have a team to cheer for, it makes it a little easier to get into... Some games are boring, but you get that in everysport sometimes... The good games are really good too... It's a "nerds" sport... All the fans talk about stats... That's prolly why I like it

Different strokes for different folks, I guess
Sopena66669
4/30/07 11:09:00PM
and its only going to get bigger