UFC 70

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 70
JunCTion
2/20/07 9:07:54AM
hey, can we discuss the herring / imes match? what happens to the loser?

imes hasn't been in mma for that long, he hasnt fought for a year & he lost his last 2 matches. i like the guy but im not sure of his abilities in the big show even though his fights were pretty competitive.

herring had a lousy ufc debut, has had only 4 fights in 3 years & only won 1 of them (1 / 2 / nc). i know 1 of the losses was due to a knee injury. and before these 4 he had a lot of wins ( since pride 9) but couldnt beat the best ( crocop, fedor, nogueira x2, vitor)

so, again, what happens to the loser. and for that matter, will the winner have any kind of reealistic impact in the hvywt division?

im sorry. is it ufc 69 that they are going to meet?
sorry guys. i accidentily started a new thread on this fight and got the event wrong (ufc69/70?) you guys were already discussing it on the imes vs. herring at ufc 69 topic. again, sorry guys. im still learning.
SteedTheDeed
2/20/07 5:42:05PM
im suprised that he is back in the UFC.
nate22
2/20/07 6:40:14PM
I'd presume Herring would get one last chance and Imes would get pushed for a fight with CC or someone similar. I'd hate to see Herring go out like that after wanting to see him there so long, it was obvious he would never be more than a gatekeeper in Pride he could hang but couldn't beat the top guys. I thought he would tear it up in UFC and I still hope that he can.
Greene33
2/20/07 9:12:10PM
Imes and Herring is a fight for a contract situation..
hippysmacker
2/20/07 9:14:58PM
Kind of misleading hread title as this seems to be all about Imes/Herring. Anyway, I think the loser ( if it's a one-sided match) ends up in the WEC anyway.

p.s. this thread title is misleading
JunCTion
2/20/07 10:16:48PM

Posted by Greene33

. Anyway, I think the loser ( if it's a one-sided match) ends up in the WEC anyway.

sorry about the thread title, im still learning.

i guess thats the thought i was looking for
i dont dislike him but im not sure imes has a marketable personality but herring is fun to watch in and out of the ring/cage

soif heath dominates is brad gone?
or if the fight is really close and exciting but herring loses, what then. i know he had problems with the top guns in pride but what if he has problems with the lower guys in ufc. would he be good for another org?
Greene33
2/21/07 12:39:44AM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by Greene33

. Anyway, I think the loser ( if it's a one-sided match) ends up in the WEC anyway.

i dont dislike him but im not sure imes has a marketable personality but herring is fun to watch in and out of the ring/cage

or if the fight is really close and exciting but herring loses, what then. i know he had problems with the top guns in pride but what if he has problems with the lower guys in ufc. would he be good for another org?

Well there could be cases that both of them stay, if this turns into a complete war along the likes of Evans vs Imes i could see Dana keeping both of them.. If its a really one sided fight then the loser will be in the WEC or out on his ass..
BloodandTears
3/10/07 4:36:29PM
Both the guys have a bleak future in UFC IMO. I dont see either one being a top contender.
Hogzilla
3/13/07 1:15:41PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by Greene33

Man you aint gotta appologize for that! Your title is fine and it IS reguarding UFC 70. I see Imes droping out of the fighting game all together if he loses to Herring. I believe Herring signed a 4 fight contract with UFC anyway, so he aint going nowhere for a little bit.
Junior24
3/13/07 3:44:01PM
Back in the day Herring was a BEAST. He destroyed Mark Kerr in his PRIME. Herring was the man to beat in PRIDE for a while before Nog and Fedor showed up. Herring has the talent, size, and skills to make a splash in the HW div. Imes is nowhere in the same league as Herring. My assumption is that Dana wants Herring to be successful to make the HW very competitive. I forsee a very explosive between these two w/Herring coming out on top w/a very decisive TKO/KO. Yes he has lost a few more than he has won, but look at who he has lost too, not counting Fight Night. All those guys are Top 5 HW's in the world.
Svabbi
3/13/07 6:20:41PM
Herring will destroy Imes, he came into his debut injured, which is why looked so bad.
Rich78
3/13/07 8:09:32PM

If Herring comes into this, and any following fights uninjured and in the right (albeit recently inconsistent) frame of mind, I'd think he is still capable of being a major challenger in the UFC.