UFC 6 - PRIDE 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 6 - PRIDE 2
JunCTion
4/15/07 1:25:02AM
i know that pride was coming to an end here and the fritos just took over, but man 6 ufc events since january and only 2 pride. that probably didnt help them. i hope the fritos start bumping up the amount of events so we can see more fights and we could get through these seasons awsomely quick and maybe get in up to 4 playground seasons in a year.
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 1:34:21AM
I too hope the Ferttitas increase the number of PRIDE events each year but one season is ten events so it would be unlikely to have four seasons in one year unless other organizations are added.
Ydoc
4/15/07 1:37:43AM
Good point. They should try to get a deal to have a Fight Night like show too, so they can expose their MMA to the masses better and so we have less of a lull between MMA events.
JunCTion
4/15/07 1:40:44AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

I too hope the Ferttitas increase the number of PRIDE events each year but one season is ten events so it would be unlikely to have four seasons in one year unless other organizations are added.

unless they attempt to do the free tv gig that the ufc does. it would get prides name out to a lot of people that dont know about it. i think most newbies are brought in with the ufc on spike. thats what happened to me. it was quite a bit later that i herd of pride. maybe they could do the fsn show on a regular basis like unleashed and then have some pride fight nights (or afternoons due to the time zones. that would be awsome saturday or sunday)
xthe_scottx
4/15/07 3:17:00AM
I'm the same. Spike TV introduced me to MMA and then later I stumbled on to the PRIDE show on FSN. If they got a TV deal on Spike or another major network, they could become just as big as the UFC to the casual MMA fan and we could maybe see 4 season a year on here.
JBatch
4/15/07 3:19:16AM
I just want them to have 2 merged shows this year or one UFC card with 3 megred fights and one pride with 3 merged.

I think Dana is probably already brewing up some sort of Pride reality TV show to air on Spike and he will probably be unoriginal and call it Bushido.
hippysmacker
4/15/07 4:14:39AM
Good point about the number of shows. What I was thinking is maybe they should put Pride on HBO. It would give them exposure and also might give the UFC some wiggle roon in negotiations. They might be willing to give in a little more with a brand not named UFC, even though they own them.
JunCTion
4/15/07 5:35:39PM

Posted by JBatch

I just want them to have 2 merged shows this year or one UFC card with 3 megred fights and one pride with 3 merged.

I think Dana is probably already brewing up some sort of Pride reality TV show to air on Spike and he will probably be unoriginal and call it Bushido.

i dont think dana has anything to do with running pride. does he?
Junior24
4/15/07 6:33:27PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by JBatch

No he doesnt. They will hire another President(Face) for Pride. I forsee it being someone from Japan or someone who is capable of working in Japan and speaks English.
hippysmacker
4/15/07 8:28:32PM

Posted by JunCTion

Posted by JBatch

On the beatdown Josh Gross said it would be someone connected with Fuji TV. Sakikabara originally came from there also.
JimiMak
4/15/07 8:37:28PM
I think (mho) they should get PRIDE on the same network and run a real heated rivalry over things like who can get the best fighters. Always leading up to the big merged new years event. Start running free shows the week before or after Fight Nights and TUF finales so that there is the appearance of competition, and in some ways there is real competition because of the 2 presidents wanting to have the upper hand, but they allow that real competition because it works for the greater good no matter what. (this also gets ppl used to a certain time and channel to get mma if they don't care enough to watch for who's on when)

They need to expose the masses w/o "Americanizing" the product. Those of us that want the "Japanese" product will watch it. To many it will be like the American League vs the National League in baseball. Everyone has their preference, but everyone wants to watch the championship. On each product they would want to talk about the other to "trash" them. I'm not talkin pro wrestling stuff, I'm talkin early AFL vs NFL when it was still newly merged and it was kind of a war for the long run. I could go on and on, but I think I've put in my 2 cents. I think they should handle things the way of the NFL not the WWE.
JunCTion
4/16/07 2:38:45AM

Posted by JimiMak

I think (mho) they should get PRIDE on the same network and run a real heated rivalry over things like who can get the best fighters. Always leading up to the big merged new years event. Start running free shows the week before or after Fight Nights and TUF finales so that there is the appearance of competition, and in some ways there is real competition because of the 2 presidents wanting to have the upper hand, but they allow that real competition because it works for the greater good no matter what. (this also gets ppl used to a certain time and channel to get mma if they don't care enough to watch for who's on when)

They need to expose the masses w/o "Americanizing" the product. Those of us that want the "Japanese" product will watch it. To many it will be like the American League vs the National League in baseball. Everyone has their preference, but everyone wants to watch the championship. On each product they would want to talk about the other to "trash" them. I'm not talkin pro wrestling stuff, I'm talkin early AFL vs NFL when it was still newly merged and it was kind of a war for the long run. I could go on and on, but I think I've put in my 2 cents. I think they should handle things the way of the NFL not the WWE.

i agree, but not on the same network. that would be overkill and you got to spread the love.