Uchiyama Loses Ear In Pancrase Bout

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Uchiyama Loses Ear In Pancrase Bout
komodo20
6/5/10 8:19:55PM
This is some crazy stuff. Do anyone have the video to this.
www.mmafighting.com
jae_1833
6/6/10 12:19:25AM
This is pretty messed up, some of the comments were funny though, like how the chunk that was left on the mat looked like a small dumpling.....messed up, but funny.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Jackelope
6/6/10 2:20:44AM
Crazy stuff man. I bet that hurt like hell the next day
zxandu
6/6/10 7:38:50AM
I wonder if he heard the fight results...
warglory
6/6/10 12:54:48PM
It looks like most of his ear is still there, seems like only the cauliflower portion was really removed. I'm sure there's a chance they could re-attach it, but would it really make a difference to attach an already disfigured portion of the ear?
bojangalz
6/6/10 4:28:54PM
Wouldn't happen in a cage. Yet another reason why japan needs to grow up a bit and continue to evolve with the rest of the MMA landscape.
postman
6/6/10 4:41:34PM

Posted by bojangalz

Wouldn't happen in a cage. Yet another reason why japan needs to grow up a bit and continue to evolve with the rest of the MMA landscape.

Almost happen in the Elite XC cage.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/6/10 5:28:17PM
That was more from a punch.
bojangalz
6/6/10 5:36:56PM

Posted by postman

Posted by bojangalz

That was not as a result of the cage though. The article states that the ear likely got caught in the vertical rope that holds the other ropes even and severed the ear as the fighters passed through the ropes.

James Thompson's ear exploded because one they failed to drain it and two he allowed Kimbo to continue to land bombs on it.

The bottom line is not only did the ring prevent the fighters from remaining within the designated fighting surface (they fell through the ropes as this incident took place), but it actually caused physical deformation to a fighter as a result. It's bad enough that the ring causes stalling and repositioning in MMA. But ring is infinitely more dangerous because it fails to keep fighters contained within the designated fighting surface.

This is obviously a freak accident and I can't think of a single other time when anything this obscure has happened in a ring. But it's certainly further evidence as to why MMA should have moved beyond the ring by this point.
BustedKnuckle
6/6/10 6:25:10PM
Dude had a nasty case of cauliflower ear to begin with. Afterwords though it looked worse. Craziest thing i have ever seen in MMA. I have always wondered if the "cauliflower" Part of the ear is easily removable. So fighter could get it removed after thier career? But i geuss this awnsers that ?
postman
6/6/10 6:42:56PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by postman

Posted by bojangalz

That was not as a result of the cage though. The article states that the ear likely got caught in the vertical rope that holds the other ropes even and severed the ear as the fighters passed through the ropes.

James Thompson's ear exploded because one they failed to drain it and two he allowed Kimbo to continue to land bombs on it.

The bottom line is not only did the ring prevent the fighters from remaining within the designated fighting surface (they fell through the ropes as this incident took place), but it actually caused physical deformation to a fighter as a result. It's bad enough that the ring causes stalling and repositioning in MMA. But ring is infinitely more dangerous because it fails to keep fighters contained within the designated fighting surface.

This is obviously a freak accident and I can't think of a single other time when anything this obscure has happened in a ring. But it's certainly further evidence as to why MMA should have moved beyond the ring by this point.

And this is why we read the article before we post lol. I was having a hard time getting the link to come up and assumed it was a case of combat causing the injury not equipment. My bad. I agree with you mma should happen in a cage. That being said if the ear was bad enough I could see the cage causing an injury as well. But never the less MMA is best contested in a cage for sure.
Jackelope
6/6/10 6:46:32PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by postman

Posted by bojangalz

This was also something I thought about when reading the article. However, I also thought of the possibility of it happening in a cage.

Honestly I don't know if you could build a case for an ear getting caught in a rope vs. an ear getting caught in a cage. I think the same thing could have potentially happened in a cage, too.

BlueSkiesBurn
6/6/10 6:51:07PM
I think it would be worse in a cage. The cage could act as a cheese grater where-as the ropes cannot. It hasn't happened yet, that I know of, but I'd imagine that unless the fight took place on an endless supply of fluffy clouds that this could happen in any environment. I agree with Bojanglz about the safety of the cage compared to the ring, though.
emfleek
6/7/10 8:28:38AM
Yikes. It reminds me of when my buddy had part of his ear bitten off by his wife's ex-boyfriend.
seanfu
6/7/10 1:03:30PM
The cage is no better, it favors wrestling, period. Tell me Brock would be dominant in a ring, same with Carwin, same with Cain.
postman
6/7/10 4:18:25PM

Posted by seanfu

The cage is no better, it favors wrestling, period. Tell me Brock would be dominant in a ring, same with Carwin, same with Cain.

You can't push someone agianst the ropes? Most strikers have found that if they endup on their back that if they get to the cage they can wall walk and get back up cant do that in the ring. It used to be in favor of wrestlers but wall walking is a way to get up that you don't have in the ring. Once your down in the ring your down.
telnights
6/7/10 6:43:38PM
This was just freak thing that happened. This could happen in a cage just as much as a ring. But I will be honest I prefer the cage over the ring for MMA. I have seen the ring affect the outcome of fights way to many times because of restarts, fighters getting hung up in ropes, and fighters falling through the ropes. I think for striking only the ring works great but for MMA its not very well suited.