Tyson Griffin Wants No Part of Nate Diaz

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tyson Griffin Wants No Part of Nate Diaz
MMAcca
6/11/08 1:16:49AM
Nate Diaz has been on a hot streak with wins over Kurt Pellegrino, Alvin Robinson and Junior Assuncao since becoming the 5th Ultimate Fighter. And Nate has been pretty consistent about calling for tough competition. He's been especially adamant about wanting former training partner Tyson Griffin. And, being a Diaz, he's been pretty pithy with the remarks :

"That guy (Tyson Griffin) doesn’t want to fight me because he thinks he’s somewhere higher up than me? I just beat a guy that’s better than him. When was the last time he finished a fight anyways against any 155 pounder that was half decent on the ground..oh yeah never."

LINK
bustin_mma
6/11/08 1:49:12AM
I would love to see this fight happen. they should do a Fight Night on spike for it.
holt8081
6/11/08 1:56:43AM
thats great
chubbud22
6/11/08 2:03:13AM
You gaotta love Nate; He has backed up everything he has said.
89vision
6/11/08 2:07:24AM
Nick > Nate
chubbud22
6/11/08 2:12:12AM

Posted by 89vision

Nick > Nate

Nick cuts>Nate
puppetmaster837
6/11/08 2:14:13AM
I'm not a big fan of either Diaz brother. They both talk to much trash. I think Tyson would wear him out and pound him for a 3rd round TKO
Pookie
6/11/08 2:26:38AM
Nate diaz would be too much for griffin IMO. Borderline embarrassing for griffin if it happened.
Still cant believe hes a 3-1 favorite against Aurelio on this site, LOL.

Frost_777
6/11/08 2:34:28AM
i like nate diaz and i think he is a good fighter but i think that tyson is better than him and it would show in a fight between them, tyson is a beast with very technical bjj and wrestling i just can't see Nate beating him.
ocho-cinco
6/11/08 2:50:03AM
Yeah Diaz is a really talented fighter, but I don't see him pulling off a win against Griffin. Griffin is really strong and has a compact frame, which makes him really hard to submit. He would easily be able to take down the lanky Nate Diaz. This may be where Diaz is most dangerous, but I think Griffin would pound on him from the top for three rounds, while escaping a few sub attempts in the process. If he manages to get the mount, he finishes the fight. If not then 30-27 Griffin. I don't see him catching Griffin the way he caught Pellegrino.
Pookie
6/11/08 3:03:42AM

Posted by Frost_777

i like nate diaz and i think he is a good fighter but i think that tyson is better than him and it would show in a fight between them, tyson is a beast with very technical bjj and wrestling i just can't see Nate beating him.

Tyson Griffin has been out grappled in the 3 of his 5 ufc appearances, 4 if you count the fight with tavares.

His wrestling isnt really that good, at all. its his striking that makes him shine against the other wrestlers and bjj guys they pit him against. But against nate diaz he is giving up a massive reach advantage and hand speed discrepency, if it stays on the feet hell get picked apart.
And on the ground... hes really not all that great. Definitely not more-so than Pellegrino.

Just imagine how incredibly hard it would be for him to pass guard, and if he tries to pound on him from the guard thats even more dangerous.

I am not impressed with Griffin's performance(s)
IriShame
6/11/08 3:51:03AM
****** aye.
bullettdodger
6/11/08 3:55:54AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

Yeah Diaz is a really talented fighter, but I don't see him pulling off a win against Griffin. Griffin is really strong and has a compact frame, which makes him really hard to submit. He would easily be able to take down the lanky Nate Diaz. This may be where Diaz is most dangerous, but I think Griffin would pound on him from the top for three rounds, while escaping a few sub attempts in the process. If he manages to get the mount, he finishes the fight. If not then 30-27 Griffin. I don't see him catching Griffin the way he caught Pellegrino.

I thought Pellegrino would have put Diaz away... since Nate shut me up, i can't see Tyson taking this fight away from Nate with out some luck. Nate has show that he can persevere through punishment and just like Nate said, when has been the last time that Tyson has finished someone. Its been a while thats for sure. Im not trying to say Tyson isn't a good fighter, i just think Diaz is going to take this one.
CornishMMA
6/11/08 7:12:08AM
whoa there the fight isnt happening bullet ........ at least not yet, im sure it will eventually but this is just Nate calling Tyson out yet again, this fight has already been a long time coming and im sure it will build up more and more, i think they should fight each other if Tyson beats Maximus and Nate beats Neer
Styles
6/11/08 9:17:57AM

When was the last time he finished a fight anyways against any 155 pounder that was half decent on the ground..oh yeah never."

7-subs, Tibau? 10-subs,Tavares? 12-subs,Guida (who lost a close split decision to diaz's boy Gilbert)? Faber is a good indication of how this fight would go. Grffin wins via Ko/Tko. Nate looked liek shit against Kurt, the only reason Nate won is because Kurt ****** up and losted focus. Nate was getting his ass kicked by Manny too, another lucky win. This guy's (Nate Diaz) fights are numbered, someone can only get so lucky so many times.
prozacnation1978
6/11/08 11:55:37AM
i would rather see faber rematch with tyson

but griffin doesn't finish fights, i think diaz could take him
i hope it does happen eventually, but diaz needs to start being on the pay per views now
Styles
6/11/08 12:06:17PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i would rather see faber rematch with tyson

but griffin doesn't finish fights, i think diaz could take him
i hope it does happen eventually, but diaz needs to start being on the pay per views now

It doesn't matter if you finish fights or not, the only thing that matters is that out out score your opponent and win... if you catch him then you catch him, if not, win by decision is just as good. I will agree though that Tyson has looked a bit lack lately but there is no way I would take Diaz over him.
Pookie
6/11/08 12:06:27PM

Posted by Styles

When was the last time he finished a fight anyways against any 155 pounder that was half decent on the ground..oh yeah never."

7-subs, Tibau? 10-subs,Tavares? 12-subs,Guida (who lost a close split decision to diaz's boy Gilbert)? Faber is a good indication of how this fight would go. Grffin wins via Ko/Tko. Nate looked liek shit against Kurt, the only reason Nate won is because Kurt ****** up and losted focus. Nate was getting his ass kicked by Manny too, another lucky win. This guy's (Nate Diaz) fights are numbered, someone can only get so lucky so many times.

you do realize that none of the guys you mentioned he finished right?
Styles
6/11/08 12:22:16PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Styles

You do realize that all the guys I mentioned he beat right? Again, finishing someone doesn't really mean a guy is weak or not. A win is a win. BTW, he KO'd Faber, not really sure what you consider "finishing"
Pookie
6/11/08 12:28:09PM

Posted by Styles

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Styles

You do realize that all the guys I mentioned he beat right? Again, finishing someone doesn't really mean a guy is weak or not. A win is a win. BTW, he KO'd Faber, not really sure what you consider "finishing"

You're quoting him and then not replying to what he said. Its nonsensical, Im not arguing the importance of finishing a fight... but its kind of silly to quote someone and then your response has nothing to do with what he said... you know?
lordicast
6/11/08 12:47:24PM

Posted by Styles
the only reason Nate won is because Kurt ****** up and losted focus. Nate was getting his ass kicked by Manny too, another lucky win. This guy's (Nate Diaz) fights are numbered, someone can only get so lucky so many times.

Thats what they said about NOG
coldchillin
6/11/08 1:03:55PM
first off, Griffin didn't beat Guida... that was such a trash decision, Guida got robbed there. As for Griffin, he's severely overrated... he has been outgrappled in most of his recent matches. I think the fight would be very competitive but I think Diaz's bjj game is strong enough to finish Griffin.

As for Nate's homeboy Gilbert Melendez... Melendez would smash Griffin.

I think Aurelio is going to beat him anyways.
NatedawgThaM
6/11/08 1:45:59PM

Posted by Styles

How are you going to call Diaz lucky and then praise Tyson who is THE LUCKIEST FIGHTER IN UFC HISTORY!!!!

Tyson gets the WORST decisions. If you watch the Guida, Tavares, and Tibau fights, you can clearly see HE LOST ALL OF THEM! Atleast he should have, but the judges are on his nuts so bad he wins all these BS decisions.

Diaz would outclass Tyson so bad. On the feet he'd pick him apart and on the ground he'd submit him. The only way Tyson wins is if it goes the distance since he almost always finds a way to win a BS decision. But Diaz's submissions are way too good, better then anybody Tyson has ever faced with BJJ just because he has such long limbs. IMO he'd sub Tyson with a triangle in the 3rd.
xtra_chewy
6/11/08 2:25:33PM
Diaz, 2nd round sub.
Griffin could maybe take the standup but once it goes to the ground its all Diaz.
quezocrema0032
6/11/08 2:28:26PM
yea tyson the luckyest man in mma ... and u cant say nates wins are lucky nates always losing at 1st its his style against gray manny and kurt hes just great at comming back ... and if he can catch kurt peilligino he can catch tyson griffin kurt is wayyyy better then tyson
Twenty20Dollars
6/11/08 5:30:31PM
well i think tyson would get beat down by diaz. tyson is overrated, most of his fights in the UFC should have been losses instead of wins.

I think faber would beat him in a rematch also. haha.
Pookie
6/11/08 10:20:49PM

Posted by coldchillin

first off, Griffin didn't beat Guida... that was such a trash decision, Guida got robbed there. As for Griffin, he's severely overrated... he has been outgrappled in most of his recent matches. I think the fight would be very competitive but I think Diaz's bjj game is strong enough to finish Griffin.

As for Nate's homeboy Gilbert Melendez... Melendez would smash Griffin.

I think Aurelio is going to beat him anyways.

, look at how Gilbert absolutely dominated guida. Milendez would do much better against a far inferior grappler in griffin.
Pookie
6/11/08 10:22:09PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Styles

How are you going to call Diaz lucky and then praise Tyson who is THE LUCKIEST FIGHTER IN UFC HISTORY!!!!

Tyson gets the WORST decisions. If you watch the Guida, Tavares, and Tibau fights, you can clearly see HE LOST ALL OF THEM! Atleast he should have, but the judges are on his nuts so bad he wins all these BS decisions.

Diaz would outclass Tyson so bad. On the feet he'd pick him apart and on the ground he'd submit him. The only way Tyson wins is if it goes the distance since he almost always finds a way to win a BS decision. But Diaz's submissions are way too good, better then anybody Tyson has ever faced with BJJ just because he has such long limbs. IMO he'd sub Tyson with a triangle in the 3rd.

I think he beat tibau, other than that i agree.
ncordless
6/11/08 11:41:06PM
I think both fighters are probably overrated right now.

In this fight, I'd probably side with Tyson because I see him having a huge strength advantage over Nate. Tyson is one of the stronger guys at 155lb, I believe Nate is one of the weakest. If it happened this weekend, I'd pick Tyson. But I think both of these guys' next fights will tell us alot about where they are really at. We could be talking Maximus v. Neer in a couple of weeks.