tyson griffin vs marcus aurelio at ufc 86!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » tyson griffin vs marcus aurelio at ufc 86!!
prozacnation1978
4/9/08 6:14:04PM
mmaweekly has posted up finally the opponent for tyson griffin, i was hoping it would be nate diaz like alot of you, seems he got aurelio instead. should be a great fight and i see another decision either way. with a potential main card full for the pay per view, who gets bumped??

almeida vs cote
or kos vs lytle

only reason why i said those two fights is cause ufc.com has the mir fight and stevenson fight already on the main card.

i really don't know who i would pick to get bumped, should be interesting to see which fight gets unaired as of right now, which doesn't make that much a difference to me since i will see it live
Pookie
4/9/08 6:42:43PM
Aurelio by sub.
gartface
4/9/08 7:13:43PM
Mir vs. McCully on the main card? Blah.

Tyson will outwork Marcus for a decision, and possibly the FOTY.
rabbit915
4/9/08 7:18:12PM
If i had a full list of rankings for the UFC i would have griffin and aurelio neck and neck. Really good matchmaking. Not even going to make a guess yet at who i would pick.

And as much as a i love Mir, his fight versus McCully will not be an interesting one and ecspecially not to the casual fans. Its going to be a pure ground fight. It might get on air though because they might try to build Mir back up towards a title shot. Hes going to have to pick up some 2 more big wins to get there though.
xchickox
4/9/08 7:18:30PM
tyson by UD
Decision
4/9/08 7:20:16PM
Props to Tyson for taking all these hard fights.
grappler0000
4/9/08 7:25:35PM
Tyson by UD...this will be a repeat of Auerelio/Guida.
juanez13
4/9/08 7:33:23PM

Posted by grappler0000

Tyson by UD...this will be a repeat of Auerelio/Guida.

Exactly my toughts, although maximus has looked great lately, i still think tyson's wresteling will be too much for him.
gartface
4/9/08 7:48:24PM
So with Tyson Griffin being the only "Logical" fight for Nate Diaz, does that open the door for the TUF 5 Finale rematch. *Crosses Fingers*
nickcuc547
4/9/08 7:51:06PM
i like aurelio in this one, tyson hasnt fought a guy this dangerous on the ground including thiago tavares, i think marcus will be able to catch griffin where tavares couldnt.
juanez13
4/9/08 7:51:47PM

Posted by gartface

So with Tyson Griffin being the only "Logical" fight for Nate Diaz, does that open the door for the TUF 5 Finale rematch. *Crosses Fingers*

doubt it, I see Nate's next fight being either Frankie edgar or Clay Guida. could be wrong though.
Pookie
4/9/08 7:53:06PM
when comparing this to guida vs. aurelio you have to remember that Guidas wrestling is WAYYYY better than griffins... its just his stand-up is better.

If Griffin wins this its by keeping it on the feet. Aurelio is the best BJJ guy at ATT and thats saying alot, i doubt griffin is going to keep top control on him.
IriShame
4/9/08 7:53:08PM
Yeah, Griffin by decision. It might be a fun fight to watch but I can't help being bothered by Griffins inability to finish. One of these days he's gonna get screwed by a decision and we're all gonna have to hear about what bullshit it is when he could do what everyone wants him to do and just finish a fight. Don't get me wrong I think Griffin is a very good fighter but he's just a couple points away from being Clay Guida. Finish Fights!
Twenty20Dollars
4/9/08 8:17:05PM
Hopefully this is the downfall of tyson griffin. This fight should be on the undercard, no way can you bump off kos vs lytle or cote vs ricardo those fights will be better than this fight.

Tyson alittle overrated to me. Shouldnt have the record he has IMO because the decisions could have went the other way and i think should have. but whatever i cant change it
mrliquid
4/9/08 9:11:39PM
Griffins wrestling is good enough for him to decide where the fight goes I think he will keep it standing and win by either KO in the 3rd or by UD
jiujitsufreak74
4/9/08 9:16:25PM
Wrestler v BJJ...i wonder where i am going with this

i have to take Marcus in this one. he looked like he did in PRIDE even though it wasn't against a great opponent. i think if he gets to top form he is a dangerous opponent for anybody in the division...especially Tyson who relies on his wrestling and ground skills.
wolfman
4/9/08 9:37:46PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Wrestler v BJJ...i wonder where i am going with this

i have to take Marcus in this one. he looked like he did in PRIDE even though it wasn't against a great opponent. i think if he gets to top form he is a dangerous opponent for anybody in the division...especially Tyson who relies on his wrestling and ground skills.

Yeah, he did look impressive in that fight. This is a real hard fight for me to call, I can see it going either way right now. Safe pick is Tyson by UD, but I could also see Marcus pulling off a slick sub.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/9/08 10:39:48PM

Posted by Decision

Props to Tyson for taking all these hard fights.

my thoughts exactly, but it is the LW division. feveryone is wicked talented
DevonFoxy
4/9/08 10:43:58PM
I think Marcus will keep it standing actually in this fight which will be his downfall. Marcus seems to want to show his stand up skills l8ly and he could very well knock down Griffin and sub him but Idk i have a feeling we might just see Tyson pull out that knock out hes been wanting.
Franklinfan47
4/9/08 11:41:46PM
Griffin will take this in yet another decision imo.
WhiteWidow
4/10/08 12:00:25AM
easy pick IMO marcus by sub.... first round is a feeler round with some standup marcus gets a few takedowns and sets some stuff up in the 2nd and catches a slick sub or dominates rounds 2 and 3 for the UD / SD
loller90278
4/10/08 12:48:31AM
i think the fight will depend on which marcus aurelio shows up -- the one who put a whomping on gomi, or the lazy unmotivated aurelio. his last fight was definatly a good showing, and i hope ATT makes him train his butt off for this fight.

with that being said, im taking griffin by UD.
chubbud22
4/10/08 3:04:11AM

Posted by juanez13

doubt it, I see Nate's next fight being either Frankie edgar or Clay Guida. could be wrong though.

Diaz vs Guida would be a war
gsquat
4/10/08 11:06:29AM
We saw that Aurelio doesn't mind standing, and neither does Griffin. In a standing battle, the advantage goes to Tyson. Marcus's jujitsu is obviously better than Tyson's, but Tyson is great at avoiding submissions. Right now, I've got Griffin UD, but I might change it to Griffin KO.
fedorwins1
4/10/08 11:38:05AM
I see Aurelio taking Griffin down, if Tibau could take him down I think Aurelio can too. The question is will Aurelio be able to hold Tyson down and I don't think he can. It's about even on the feet, Aurelio has the huge advantage in submissions, and Tyson has the advantage in wrestling. It's a toss up for me, but I'm going to pick Aurelio by UD.
prozacnation1978
4/10/08 12:31:33PM
tough fight to pick ain't it, it will make the main card griffin last couple fights have all been on the main card, and besides that if he fights tibau on it i don't see why marcus wouldn't be any different.
jgtribbett
4/10/08 10:56:13PM
i think that tyson might tko aurelio
although im going to pcik marcus by sub.. cause he's my boy hahahaha
tylerlee123
4/12/08 2:20:05PM
I see Aurelio taking this, Im leaning on a Submission but Tyson hasn't been finished so I dont know, we'll see
npayant
4/12/08 2:24:20PM
Griffin by UD. Tyson is better in every aspect IMO (except BJJ)... I think he'll be able to avoid the submissions and squeak out a UD / possible SD

BUT... Aurelio looked damn good in his last fight!!! I wouldn't mind seeing him beat Griffin!