Tyson Griffin not considering rematch with WEC champion Urijah Faber

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Tyson Griffin not considering rematch with WEC champion Urijah Faber
Wolfenstein
8/27/08 4:03:49PM
Despite recent rumors to the contrary, UFC lightweight contender Tyson Griffin (12-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) is not considering a move to 145 pounds to take on WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber (21-1 MMA, 6-0 WEC).

In fact, while a guest on a recent edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Griffin said the cut wouldn't even be possible

"I'm 180 pounds right now," Griffin said. "There's no way I'm making 145 pounds. Ever. I don't see that happening."

Faber is currently riding a 13-fight win streak. That streak started after Faber's lone career loss -- a Gladiator Challenge bout with Griffin. However after that 2005 contest, Griffin stated he felt he would no longer be capable of making the cut down to 145 pounds.

While fans and media continue to speculate over who could possibly provide a challenge for the dominant "California Kid," Griffin said not to include him in the discussion.

"There's no truth to me moving anywhere," Griffin said. "I've never heard that from anybody. I do not plan on moving in weight class or organization. I'm happy with where I'm at."

Instead, Griffin will continue to focus on his astounding run in the UFC's talent-rich lightweight division.

After a controversial decision loss to Frankie Edgar in February 2007, Griffin has won four straight against some of the sport's best in Clay Guida, Thiago Tavares, Gleison Tibau and Marcus Aurelio. Now the 24-year-old will face former lightweight champion Sean Sherk at October's UFC 90 event.

"They just get tougher and tougher," Griffin said of his opponents. "I definitely don't get a break in competition.

"At the same time, that's what keeps me motivated to train harder and harder. If you have easy fights, it's kind of hard to push yourself. The more you get challenged, the more you challenge yourself in the gym."

Griffin, who faced Faber in just his third career bout -- as well as notable Duane "Bang" Ludwig in his seventh -- isn't complaining about the constant high-level of competition. In fact, the Las Vegas resident wouldn't have it any other way.

"I just think it comes down to the way I am and the way I compete, even before I was part of the UFC," Griffin said. "And as soon as I became a part of [the UFC], I made sure my manager told them straight up and down I want to fight stiff competition. The more challenges I have the better."

Link
Gipper
8/27/08 4:10:57PM
i think the fight would go pretty much the same way as the first
Twenty20Dollars
8/27/08 4:23:51PM
I think Faber would win the rematch, but faber has talked about the fight saying he would go up to 155 to take the fight. I know Tyson couldnt make 145 anymore.
wiggum
8/27/08 4:44:08PM
for right now i dont want to see this fight...not only does faber still have some legit competition to deal with in the division (and i think he beats them all) but griffin is one or two fights away from a title shot....why ruin his run, i wanna see how far he goes...then if he stops short of his goal, then start talk of a rematch....griffin is a big lw now, some people think he isnt due to his height, but him and sherk are in the same boat along those lines....he would have to cut some serious weight
wrona666
8/27/08 4:46:58PM
The fight at 145 i think would probably be just about impossible for Griffin at this point....If Faber was to move to 155 then it could happen, but i see no point for a rematch at this point in eigther one of thems careers...
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/27/08 10:53:13PM
I don't think Griffin should have to cut weight to rematch Faber, he already beat him once, why should griffin have to sacrafice/cut. If Faber wants a rematch he's gonna and should have to do it on Griffins terms.
jay98107
8/28/08 4:45:49AM
How on earth can the lost to Edgar be considered "controversial"? I think they have Griffins win over Guida confused with his loss to Edgar.
xtra_chewy
8/28/08 6:41:25PM
Faber has came a long way since his fight with Tyson, I think if there was a rematch Faber could definately give him a run for his money.
MMAcca
8/29/08 1:33:46AM
Shame. Would like to see this happen at 155
dust
8/29/08 12:58:22PM

Posted by MMAcca

Shame. Would like to see this happen at 155

Everyone but Faber would. Faber whined and cried for Tyson to drain to 145 and still got stomped.
JOSH1106
8/31/08 8:08:10PM
everyone knows that faber is like pound for pound the best ever. and griffin is just making excuses. i realize he cant drop 35 pounds but they could meet somewhere in the middle. and they should try an indoor fight this time. that way there is no sunlight blinding faber.
Pookie
8/31/08 8:37:06PM

Posted by JOSH1106

everyone knows that faber is like pound for pound the best ever. and griffin is just making excuses. i realize he cant drop 35 pounds but they could meet somewhere in the middle. and they should try an indoor fight this time. that way there is no sunlight blinding faber.

It's either

or
jiujitsufreak74
8/31/08 8:37:52PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by JOSH1106

It's either

or

i would go with this personally